• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery 6-23-2015

dmk_129

Hello! I am having a partial gastrectomy with lap roux en Y on 6-23-2015. I had my preop dietician visit today and am kind of feeling overwhelmed. I am 188 pounds. I am having this surgery not so much for weight loss but because of a failed Nissen. I want to be at about 125 to 135 pounds=that is where I always felt best. I am a 53 yo female. I have always been just a little overweight after I turned about 30. Then at 42 I got breast cancer. I am now a survivor and dont think about that all the time like I used to. I hope to gain some support through this group because I am only getting the one dietician visit I guess. I hope I can get the extra weight off and feel good again. I had a bad motor cycle accident a few years ago and wrecked my right knee. I have a lot of trouble walking and hope getting the weight off will help some. I work as a nurse for an insurance company==VERY stressful. I hope I do well with this. I am kind of scared but kind of relieved too. I am really wanting this to help my health and make some positive health changes.

Dee

Hello! I am having a partial gastrectomy with lap roux en Y on 6-23-2015. I had my preop dietician visit today and am kind of feeling overwhelmed. I am 188 pounds. I am having this surgery not so much for weight loss but because of a failed Nissen. I want to be at about 125 to 135 pounds=that is where I always felt best. I am a 53 yo female. I have always been just a little overweight after I turned about 30. Then at 42 I got breast cancer. I am now a survivor and dont think about that all the time like I used to. I hope to gain some support through this group because I am only getting the one dietician visit I guess. I hope I can get the extra weight off and feel good again. I had a bad motor cycle accident a few years ago and wrecked my right knee. I have a lot of trouble walking and hope getting the weight off will help some. I work as a nurse for an insurance company==VERY stressful. I hope I do well with this. I am kind of scared but kind of relieved too. I am really wanting this to help my health and make some positive health changes.

Dee

Hi Dee! WELCOME to the Forum!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

I also have bad knees from a car accident and my gastric bypass has helped me lose enough weight that my knees are feeling a lot better. I'm sure this procedure will help you too.

Good Luck!

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne! You look amazing after your surgery. I guess I am hoping I can figure out what to eat when so all of it works right in my immediate post op time. I suspect some of it will be a little different due to having the partial gastrectomy. They have to remove the upper part of my stomach where the Nissen failed. I have had miserable GERD symptoms for about 5 years now. The MD said the gastric bypass is the best fix for that. I have a excellent surgeon. Are there any books that you know of that are helpful for reading up on the gastric bypass recovery and what to do afterward? I wondered if anyone could recommend something. I really hope my knee feels better. I an trying to stave off a knee replacement.

Dee

Thanks Cheyenne! You look amazing after your surgery. I guess I am hoping I can figure out what to eat when so all of it works right in my immediate post op time. I suspect some of it will be a little different due to having the partial gastrectomy. They have to remove the upper part of my stomach where the Nissen failed. I have had miserable GERD symptoms for about 5 years now. The MD said the gastric bypass is the best fix for that. I have a excellent surgeon. Are there any books that you know of that are helpful for reading up on the gastric bypass recovery and what to do afterward? I wondered if anyone could recommend something. I really hope my knee feels better. I an trying to stave off a knee replacement.

Dee

Thanks Dee for the complement. I am 66 yrs old and had surgery almost 2 yrs ago. It really changed my life, I wish I would have done it years earlier.

I don't know of any books on bypass surgery but I obtained a wealth of information from the internet. There are articles on the surgery itself, diet, menus, just everything you would want to know about. Just type in what you want to know and it will give you more info than you could ever want.

Some helpful hints I found out.. sip, sip, sip and stay hydrated. Eat and drink very slowly. Chew, chew, chew. Don't stretch out your new tiny 2 oz tummy. It will eventually stretch, but should take a year to hold 4 - 6 oz.

Take your vitamins and mineral supplements every day religiously! Many people stop taking supplements as time goes by but my nutritionist said this is the cause of great health problems and hospitalization later on after time.

Best wishes to you for an easy surgery and recovery!

Cheyenne :cool:

Cheyenne-I went to Amazon and found several Kindle books so I can read up on all things gastric bypass. I am pretty medically knowledgeable because I was an ICU nurse for a very long time. ( Now I work for an insurance company ) Pretty stressful. I know I need to get my stress level down so I have the best chance of success. Working from 6 am to 8 PM at a lot of days isnt helping me much!! I guess I want to go into this having as much knowledge I can pack into my brain about this surgery. Today was the first day of my 2 week High protein low carb diet. Went OK!!

I hope I can keep my tummy tiny and stay on track. Some people are talking about constipation. Boy do I get that. I found a fix that worked==I took 4 gummy protein chewies in the am and 4 more in the PM. Everything went smoothly==Literally. Now pain meds post op and all will mess that up and i have to ask my surgeon if I can still do the fiber chewies. Boy--if he says no I am sunk... It took a long time for me to figure out my regimen after having constipation so bad they were considering removing a bunch of my colon. I dont want that again!!

Thanks so much for your helpful hints. I really do appreciate the help.

2 weeks to go!! Yippee!!

Dee

sorry I havent been posting! I had my surgery 6-23-2015 as planned. I went home 7-24-2015. Then I started getting sick and vomiting. Back to the hospital I went 6-25-2015. I got discharged again 6-29-2015. I was doing poorly at home but now seem to be doing a bit better. I am not losing much weight and havent been eating very well either. I still throw up once in a while. Seems to be connected to milk. I was somewhat lactose intolerant before surgery=now seems worse. I have a hard time getting in fluids. I seem to be able to take about 3 sips then feel like everything is at the back of my throat and I will throw up if I drink more. Sheesh! I went back to work on 7-13-2015. I get extremely tired by the end of the day. I seem to be not so mentally sharp but I am sure not back to feeling like my old self by any means. I had that partial gastrectomy so I think I had a double whammy. They removed over the upper half of the stomach and then did the lap roux en Y. I hope I start feeling better and start losing some weight soon. I am trying to keep my spirits up. Nisey had surgery the day after mine=I hope she is doing great!!

Dee

sorry I havent been posting! I had my surgery 6-23-2015 as planned. I went home 7-24-2015. Then I started getting sick and vomiting. Back to the hospital I went 6-25-2015. I got discharged again 6-29-2015. I was doing poorly at home but now seem to be doing a bit better. I am not losing much weight and havent been eating very well either. I still throw up once in a while. Seems to be connected to milk. I was somewhat lactose intolerant before surgery=now seems worse. I have a hard time getting in fluids. I seem to be able to take about 3 sips then feel like everything is at the back of my throat and I will throw up if I drink more. Sheesh! I went back to work on 7-13-2015. I get extremely tired by the end of the day. I seem to be not so mentally sharp but I am sure not back to feeling like my old self by any means. I had that partial gastrectomy so I think I had a double whammy. They removed over the upper half of the stomach and then did the lap roux en Y. I hope I start feeling better and start losing some weight soon. I am trying to keep my spirits up. Nisey had surgery the day after mine=I hope she is doing great!!

Dee

Glad you are ok. Was worried about you! Sorry you aren't feeling as good as you should. Hopefully you will get feeling better as time progresses.

With my RNY ( Roux en Y) procedure the surgeon removed all of my stomach except a 2 ounce pouch. Plus of course my intestine was re-routed to not absorb sweets and carbs as easy as it had in the past. That's all kind of standard with the RNY I think. What is it that your surgeon did to give you a partial gastrectomy? Not sure what that is?

Good Luck on your recovery!

Cheyenne

Back