• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery coming up. How far did you travel for surgery? Any suggestions for a six hour drive home?

Annie104

I am excited about surgery coming up May 16th but a little nervous about the drive home (I live in South Dakota and am traveling to Denver for surgery). I will stay in Denver for one week but then have a six hour drive home. Any suggestions on making the trip comfortable? In a week will I feel OK?

It's hard to tell how you will feel after a week because everyone is different. I went home the day after surgery, had the hospital give me pain meds before I left, kept a puke bucket on my lap, and tried to sleep the hour and a half ride home. I did fine, but the bigger bumps in the road made me sore. Now that I'm a few days out, I'm feeling better and better each day. I would make sure you have pillows, a bucket incase you get sick, and lots of fluids to sip on. Sleeping during the ride will probably help as well. Good luck!

It's hard to tell how you will feel after a week because everyone is different. I went home the day after surgery, had the hospital give me pain meds before I left, kept a puke bucket on my lap, and tried to sleep the hour and a half ride home. I did fine, but the bigger bumps in the road made me sore. Now that I'm a few days out, I'm feeling better and better each day. I would make sure you have pillows, a bucket incase you get sick, and lots of fluids to sip on. Sleeping during the ride will probably help as well. Good luck!

I am excited about surgery coming up May 16th but a little nervous about the drive home (I live in South Dakota and am traveling to Denver for surgery). I will stay in Denver for one week but then have a six hour drive home. Any suggestions on making the trip comfortable? In a week will I feel OK?
Hi Annie,
My Surgery is the day before yours. I only have a 2 hour ride. Good Luck to you. In regards to the ride I would be prepared. Zip Lock bags make the perfect car sickness bags. I would toss in a pillow and a small blanket. Plan ahead with ready to drink protein and bottles of water.
I look forward to hearing how everything goes.
Best of Luck
Jackie

I had to travel 2 hrs. and came home following day was a bit sore but if I had a week i would have been good to go I think... Will you be driving or will you have a driver? Just remember if you need a break take one. If you have a driver lay the seat back a bit to make it more comfy... Best of luck

I had to travel 2 hrs. and came home following day was a bit sore but if I had a week i would have been good to go I think... Will you be driving or will you have a driver? Just remember if you need a break take one. If you have a driver lay the seat back a bit to make it more comfy... Best of luck
Thank you. I do have a driver ( my husband) thank goodness. I appreciate the comments.

Hi Annie,
My Surgery is the day before yours. I only have a 2 hour ride. Good Luck to you. In regards to the ride I would be prepared. Zip Lock bags make the perfect car sickness bags. I would toss in a pillow and a small blanket. Plan ahead with ready to drink protein and bottles of water.
I look forward to hearing how everything goes.
Best of Luck
Jackie
Thank you Jackie! Good luck to you too. Let's keep in touch!

I, too, will be having surgery 6 hrs from home (once approved and scheduled). My 88 yr old mother was planning to go with me but she doesn't see well enough to drive. I was thinking I could drive myself. The surgery would be on a Thursday and I would stay in Colorado Springs until the following Monday for follow up with the doc. I am seeing people say that is too soon to plan on driving so I will have to figure something else out. I just wish we could hurry and get surgery scheduled! I want to start a new way of life!

I had surgery 6 hours away as well. My surgeon kept me an extra day because he didn't want to risk blood clots. I stopped every hour to get out and walk on the drive home since that is what I was told to do. :) I stopped halfway and we took a break and ate something. Was a very lazy, laid back drive home, and the bumps on the road don't fell awesome, but with a little bit of pain meds and patience, it was an okay drive. I think you can do it, and with someone with you it would help just to have the company. Best of luck on your surgery!

Back