• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Date 08/22/2023 - coming up fast... nervous and excited at the same time.

Rest. Then rest some more. Then rest again. Don't rush anything.

And sip on your liquids, especially water. Don't gulp. just slip, slowly and steadily, while resting.

And follow your nutritionist's exact directions. You should get them in a standard package. Read them and follow them.

In fact, you should have some food instructions before surgery so you can shop and stock up on the foods you'll be drinking for the first week or two.

As you sip liquids, your stomach will heal and your digestive system will adjust. Again, pay attention to the messages you get and you'll know when it's time to move on to pudding or hot cereal, mashed potatoes and soup. One day you'll know it's time to take a bite of semi-solid food and with repetition, you'll move on to solids and soon, you'll have a new normal way of eating.

What kind of surgery are you having? I had laparoscopic RYGB on 8/2 and so am only 6 days post-op. I did as dianeseattle suggested and am following the dieticians advice exactly. My surgeon said I was able to increase to 2 oz of protein shakes when I got home because I had no nausea and everything was awake and moving by the afternoon after my surgery (about 36 hours). I have found while the list said to buy protein drinks with at least 15g of protein per serving was advised, the more protein grams per shake, the better. This helps you get your daily quota while drinking them only 2 oz per hour. So do your math and factor in the portion size recommended and how that fits into your day. I have found that watered down juice is the tastiest but one bottle is all my carbs for the day so I have to water it down more or split it up between days because protein shakes have a few carbs in them too. Stock up on different flavors, when you drink the same flavor all morning, you will want to switch it up in the afternoon and evening. I got so sick of Strawberry, but it was delicious when I first tried it! Also if you don't have anyone to do the shopping for you/kids, fill up the fridge and cabinets for everyone before you go to the hospital, because you can't drive right away. Get organized. I find that the meds take a bit of organizing and I can only swallow one at a time bc of the small amount I drink at a time. The nurses gave me everything I needed as far as copies of my tracker/a whole sleeve of 2.5 oz measuring paper cups/even a dozen protein shakes. I had a whole bag of stuff they sent me home with and it was a blessing, so definitely take what they offer. I find shaker bottles are great for keeping a drink by my recliner during the day to pour my portion of whatever out of. A small pitcher would work also. Sorry this is getting long, it's just that I am doing all this right now. Hope it helps.

I ordered almost all of my stuff from Orgain. They have a subscription program that helps to save on each order plus you accumulate points to take even more money off of the order. I had my RNY on May 31st and I still use mostly easy protein as I'm still finding out what my pouch wants and what it doesn't. In the powdered Orgain I would put whey protein and collagen powder in the mix with unsweetened almond milk. I sip on that for awhile. It goes down really well and I'm meeting my protein needs.

What kind of surgery are you having? I had laparoscopic RYGB on 8/2 and so am only 6 days post-op. I did as dianeseattle suggested and am following the dieticians advice exactly. My surgeon said I was able to increase to 2 oz of protein shakes when I got home because I had no nausea and everything was awake and moving by the afternoon after my surgery (about 36 hours). I have found while the list said to buy protein drinks with at least 15g of protein per serving was advised, the more protein grams per shake, the better. This helps you get your daily quota while drinking them only 2 oz per hour. So do your math and factor in the portion size recommended and how that fits into your day. I have found that watered down juice is the tastiest but one bottle is all my carbs for the day so I have to water it down more or split it up between days because protein shakes have a few carbs in them too. Stock up on different flavors, when you drink the same flavor all morning, you will want to switch it up in the afternoon and evening. I got so sick of Strawberry, but it was delicious when I first tried it! Also if you don't have anyone to do the shopping for you/kids, fill up the fridge and cabinets for everyone before you go to the hospital, because you can't drive right away. Get organized. I find that the meds take a bit of organizing and I can only swallow one at a time bc of the small amount I drink at a time. The nurses gave me everything I needed as far as copies of my tracker/a whole sleeve of 2.5 oz measuring paper cups/even a dozen protein shakes. I had a whole bag of stuff they sent me home with and it was a blessing, so definitely take what they offer. I find shaker bottles are great for keeping a drink by my recliner during the day to pour my portion of whatever out of. A small pitcher would work also. Sorry this is getting long, it's just that I am doing all this right now. Hope it helps.
I am have the duodenal switch procedure. Thank you all for the advice. The drinking slowly is going to be the worst for me, i have been practicing but I'm the type who drinks fast and drinking an ounce at a time is hard for me. I bought a WHOLE bunch of those 2 oz cups with the lids so that i can portion things out. I have a lot of the Premier protein shakes but they are all sweet, I'm a savory foods person and I'm already sick of the sweet stuff all the time, I've been on the liquids only for a week now...

I was a little irritated with my Dr's office with the bag of stuff they sent me home with... I am very glad I am an ingredient reader... I am allergic to coconut and it's in my chart that I get anaphylaxis from it and the protein powder mixes and bar samples and even the little chocolate treat they sent me home with in my goodie bag ALL had coconut in it. I was going to prank them and say I was calling from the hospital but my better side won the argument but when I go in to have my procedure I will look my Dr in the face and dead pan tell him that if he didn't want to do my surgery all he had to do was tell me not try to kill me.. hahahahahahaha

You can doctor up your protein shakes/ protein water by adding fresh herbs and spices, which can help cut down on the sweetness.

I had lemonade protein water and would add fresh basil. Tastes good and just really turns the flavor fresh instead of sweet. Add some cayenne to chocolate protein for a Mexican chocolate flavor. Vanilla might work with a curry spice but even cinnamon will cut through some of it.

I am have the duodenal switch procedure. Thank you all for the advice. The drinking slowly is going to be the worst for me, i have been practicing but I'm the type who drinks fast and drinking an ounce at a time is hard for me. I bought a WHOLE bunch of those 2 oz cups with the lids so that i can portion things out. I have a lot of the Premier protein shakes but they are all sweet, I'm a savory foods person and I'm already sick of the sweet stuff all the time, I've been on the liquids only for a week now...
I add PB2 and salt to make a salty peanut butter treat out of vanilla protein powder, or even a fairlife skim milk shake with PB2 and salt is a homemade protein shake.

You seriously have the absolute best advice! Living for all your tips / tricks I’ve seen on here so far! Just wanted to share!

Blessings!

You can doctor up your protein shakes/ protein water by adding fresh herbs and spices, which can help cut down on the sweetness.

I had lemonade protein water and would add fresh basil. Tastes good and just really turns the flavor fresh instead of sweet. Add some cayenne to chocolate protein for a Mexican chocolate flavor. Vanilla might work with a curry spice but even cinnamon will cut through some of it.

Back