• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date 11/27

Judycat

Hello: so glad I found this sight. I have had years and years of weight loss struggles. Finally getting the gastric band in 2009. Unfortunately the most I lost was 12 pounds. Tried many protocols after that including HCG injections which worked lost 62 pounds in 4 mo as strict low carb low cal diet is also required. As soon as I added carbs weight came back. Finally last year decided after trying everything I’m just setting my weight higher and higher to consider another surgery. . In June 2023 I had the lap band removed, and am set to have gastric bypass 11/27. I feel nervous about elective surgery and risks but at my highest weight ever, and now added back pain and joint pain I’m done. Concerned about this new way of eating, hoping I can succeed and have a new more active life. Would love to hear from anyone about their experience especially anyone who had their band removed and opting for bypass. Thank you!

Your story is VERY familiar. Hang in there and wait, and soon the people who've had your experience will start replying. In the meantime, keep talking. Tell us more about yourself and what your experiences have been like. We learn so much from you, and most of us are more than willing to share our experiences with you.

Thank you for responding. This seems like a great way to get information and receive support. I’m now at my highest weight and I think that is due to lap band removal which was necessary in order to get bypass. Though the band never worked for significant weight loss it did somewhat control gaining large amount of weight. I know I’m in for a huge lifestyle adjustment and start the pre-surgical diet on 11/13. I know that is going to be a challenge in itself but I will Sri k to it in order to have the best result.

Hi Judycat! I had gastric bypass Aug 2 of this year. It is my only experience with bariatric surgery but I have been through many diet and exercise weight-loss journeys over the past 27 years. The pre-surgery liquid diet was the hardest one to follow for me because you still have all your stomach and all your hunger hormones and emotions to tell your brain to eat. Use timers to drink on a schedule to get through the days and hours or any other tricks you can think of. Mix things up with different flavors, broths are a wonderful salty treat when everything is getting monotonous. Take it one stage at a time and stay strong. Even this phase is teaching you lessons that will help after surgery. You've got this!

Hello Finallyme!
Thank you for your response. I start the pre surgery diet tomorrow. I anticipate it’s going to be a challenge, I did purchase the supplies; broth, no sugar applesauce cups, cottage cheese individual protein servings etc finding shakes that are palatable that only use stevia has been a challenge. I don’t like using aspartame or maltitol sweeteners. Water has always been tough and I like the idea of the timer. Stay tuned

I will be going on the third day of preop diet. May be too much TMI but I Have had low gas pain- has anyone experienced this? My diet is 2 shakes a day 1 small meal and 2 snacks from approved list. It is drastically different from what I was doing previously but wondered if anyone else had this.

I will be going on the third day of preop diet. May be too much TMI but I Have had low gas pain- has anyone experienced this? My diet is 2 shakes a day 1 small meal and 2 snacks from approved list. It is drastically different from what I was doing previously but wondered if anyone else had this.
If you are new to sugar substitutes, that may be what is causing the gas. Whey protein is also known to cause gas. Whey protein isolate has less lactose, so may be less of an issue. (Even those who aren't lactose intolerant may have sensitivity issues.)
Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you-I have avoided sugar alcohols and trying to stick to Stevia/milk fruit. I’ve got whey based shake powder and it’s good to know about whey isolate. I also found an egg based shake powder. I did use some sugar free pudding to add to shakes and that seems like it had allot nasty ingredients though I didn’t use much. Also was eating sugar free popsicles so that may not be helping. I think some of it is truly drastic change in eating. Going from 2000 cal to averaging 800. High protein with virtually no carbs.hoping things get better as my body adjusts

Thank you-I have avoided sugar alcohols and trying to stick to Stevia/milk fruit. I’ve got whey based shake powder and it’s good to know about whey isolate. I also found an egg based shake powder. I did use some sugar free pudding to add to shakes and that seems like it had allot nasty ingredients though I didn’t use much. Also was eating sugar free popsicles so that may not be helping. I think some of it is truly drastic change in eating. Going from 2000 cal to averaging 800. High protein with virtually no carbs.hoping things get better as my body adjusts
Monk fruit…

Well had my bypass on Monday: one overnight in hospital and home yesterday. Right now till tomorrow still no food only liquids. Pain is manageable. I went to take my Tylenol gel cap last nite (2) totally spaced out and took 2 at once. I had the most incredible heart burn and slime. I was miserable. My sites are sore. Been getting up frequently, trying to drink my water, boullion, popsicles. Tomorrow I can start my shakes. Did have a couple bowel movements (sorry TMI) but more like loose stool(I was taking colace). Hopefully that’s not the dumping syndrome I’ve heard about. Feeling a little lightheaded I’m assuming because since Monday I’ve only had water and boullion.

Congratulations! I want especially to say brava on your BMs. I believe it's pretty common to experience severe constipation after surgery. I had such a hard time with that. My first BM took 48 hours to pass through. I'll spare you the details on the "presto-log" I struggled with but It was one of the worst experiences in my life, including a pretty serious car crash. It sounds like you're doing really well. Just follow the guidelines from your nutritionist and others in your medical team and you'll do fine.

Looking for advice. I am 4 days post op. Today I had soup (squash approved by provider) I must have eaten it too fast and proceeded to throw it up(sorry if TMI) threw up about 4,times(just soup). Started to feel better and tried to drink some water about an hour later and started burping like I was going to throw up again. My upper stomach is sore and I’m hoping I didn’t damage anything. I do have a rx for zofran which they gave me on discharge for nausea. Not sure if I should take it. I know people can’t give medical advice just wondering if anyone has had this happen.

The new tummy can be quite sensitive. While it is not normal to vomit repeatedly, it can happen for several reasons. Some requiring medical care, some not. Go ahead and take the Zofran. This is the exact situation they prescribed it for. Nausea is very common for the first week or so.

A few things to consider are:

Are you eating too fast? Your pouch is very small and currently swollen. Eat and drink very slowly. It really should take about 20 min. to eat a meal/snack. Your stomach size has changed, so your bite size needs to change as well.

Are you eating too much? Did your doctor give you a suggested serving size for each diet phase? If not, ask. I believe a few tablespoons is all you're supposed to have at this stage post op. But, that's for sure a question for your bariatric team.

Great job on the pre-op weight loss! Hope you start feeling better soon.

Hi there;....I was unfortunately readmitted to the hospital on Saturday. I was doing great until about 200pm on Friday. I was adding some things as directed and had some squash soup. After that I started vomiting most of the afternoon and into the evening. When I would stop I would try and sip some water and it started all over again. I called my surgeon and he said I should go to the ED. so I went went tol the hospital . Got here about 900 AM and they ordered a CT w/contrast(I was actually feeling better by then) I was told I had a partial small bowel obstruction which apparently is not that uncommon after this type of surgery. They wanted me to stay and observe for the Night. I found out this AM I have to stay another night and remain on clear liquids.. Tomorrow they will try and give me a shake and see how I do.

What
Glad you got checked out! I hope you feel better soon.
thank you! I had to stay 2 nights and n the hospital. After speaking to one of the bariatric physicians this am he felt the CT scan did not really show any blockage but more inflammation. I home now and back to phase 1 of the diet. I’m a little weak and tired as I had no nutrition except water and boullion for 3,1/2 days. Today I had 2 shakes one in am and the other at 730pm. Rest of night having water and 0 vitamin water. I was ok with the shakes but a little queasy so for next 3 days may just have one a day. Going very slow. Just glad to be home

Glad you're back home. Many of us had to take the diet phases a little slower than suggested. I only advanced my diet for dinner. For example: when they moved me to puree, I had liquid for breakfast, lunch and snack and had refried beans for dinner.

Just take your time and a make sure you call your doctor right away with any issues. Hopefully you'll feel better soon!

Back