• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date - 12 and counting

Red62

Hello , wifey of pre op gastric sleeve patient . Trying to help out and be prepared ( nutriionaly) .
I am retired so I am the primary meal planner and grocery shopper .
I am also in need of weight reduction ,surgery not an option for me . Hoping to go on this journey together,even though I will have different requirements . Lol enough about me.

looking for advice mostly concerning products .such as ,is there a brand of broth that actually tastes good ?
can I make my own and if so how would I calculate protein ?
Let’s start there .
thanks

is there a brand of broth that actually tastes good ?
can I make my own and if so how would I calculate protein ?
Let’s start there .
thanks
Trader Joe's makes great broths. They're shelf-stable for years. I'm glad you asked. I wAnted to tell newbies to go with broth, not bullions. Broth is liqufied food. Boulion is salted water with very little nutritional value.

I'm impressed with your commitment to support your hubby even though you can't have the surgery. Good woman!;)

It’s wonderful you’re committed to the journey with your partner! I am partial to the Kettle & Fire brand of broth. You may want to make your own stock; lots of vitamins and minerals when you slow cook it with bones with all the added collagen and marrow. Perhaps your butcher can give you a ballpark estimate regarding protein content if you go that route. Best of luck!!!

Ask your butcher to provide you some bones. They throw them away anyway. Most will give them to you for free. Boil with some veggies and it makes an amazing broth. You can add a few different spices to it for added flavor if you want. Keep it interesting. I love bone broth. It is so rich and so full of good stuff

Back