• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

surgery date April 6

so I am finally getting my surgery in 2 weeks. going with the sleeve. I am nervous and excited.

WELCOME to the Forum, Carebear!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery date!

2 wks will fly by very fast. :)

Good Luck and keep us up to date on your progress!

Cheyenne :cool:

Yes it will. Your surgery is a major change in your life. Post op is a whole new experience that will lead from one success to another. Keep track of all your success not only your weight loss but other things such as smaller clothes sizes, ability to walk further, dance better, enjoy life more.

Just to give you a flavor for all the new accomplishments I achieved in short order after my surgery, I kept a record. Here it is.

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

This is definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I now have a good chance of living well into my 80s and perhaps more. I will get to see my grandson grow up; he is going to be one year old this March 2015.

surgery update

thank you everyone. I am home now. everything went well. now to get used to the smaller stomach. I am having a lot of burping,. Did anyone else have that issue and how did you get it to stop? I am a little worried about my liquid intake. drinking an ounce every 15 minutes just feels like I am not going to meet my target. does it change later? I am really excited for this.
thanks,
Kari

thank you everyone. I am home now. everything went well. now to get used to the smaller stomach. I am having a lot of burping,. Did anyone else have that issue and how did you get it to stop? I am a little worried about my liquid intake. drinking an ounce every 15 minutes just feels like I am not going to meet my target. does it change later? I am really excited for this.
thanks,
Kari

Hi Kari, I had problems drinking enough too. Most people have this problem at first. Just do the best you can. Sip, sip, sip!!! Yes it does get much easier as time goes on. Burping is very common. It also gets better with time. You will have a lot of gas at first because they blow you up with gas to be able to see your insides while performing surgery. The gas even gets up into your shoulders and causes pain.

Glad you are doing great!

Cheyenne :cool:

Burping is one of the side effects we have to deal with.

I am now 17 months post op. I still burp plenty after a meal.

Burping happens when you eat too fast and/or get too full; this is something in the early go is quite prevalent.

So, I do eat more slowly, but as I fill up I begin to burp. If I overdo it, I really end up burping a lot and then later, well the gas does come out ... :)

It is part of life post op.

You can minimize it by staying on small meals, not mixing liquids with solid foods, staying away from many foods that promote gas or if you have them do so in limited quantity. don't fill up!

Part of life post op.

A minor inconvenience compared to all the benefits you will enjoy.

Ralph

Congratulations Carebear!! I have not had my surgery yet, but it is scheduled for May 5. Listen to Ralph and Cheyenne they are wonderful and I love what they say.

Keep your head up and look forward to the new you!

Debbie

thank you Debbie I wasn't expecting the pain to last longer than 5 days. I don't know if it is because I already had my gallbladder taken out before. but the dr gave me more meds. I try to walk every day. but it is finally starting to be less. all my pain is on the right side under one of my incisions. my dr said that was the most common place. at least the pain has been tolerable. if I don't move it doesn't hurt.

Learning more & more what to expect after surgery just by reading about others experience. Most people say they are happy with the surgery, has anyone experienced depression afterwards ?

Alicia I am only two weeks out, but no depression. However I did have a moment of what did I do? After that I figured what's done can't be undone and I will have a healthier life so on we go. Pain is gone. I have figured out my pouch does not like broth. It gives me really bad heart burn and the nexium does not touch it. I am happy I am not hungry all the time anymore. No other issues so far.

Back