• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date of April 23 2012

Marcia55

]

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and excited to get involved in what I hope will be a very supportive group. My surgery - gastric bypass - is scheduled for April 23, 2012. However, I still have one final hurdle to jump with my endocrinologist who is working with me to get my A1c down from 10.2 to between 7 and 8 prior to surgery. I'll find out on Thursday of this week. She could force a delay. I'm crossing my fingers that I will meet the numbers. I am so ready to do this that any delay will be devastating - for a moment at least. In preparing for my post operative eating regimen I was looking for recommendations on protein drinks. That will be the regimen for the first three weeks. Also, any recommendations for calcium chews, protein powders, etc would be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Marcia55:)

HI Marcia55

I too had bad ac1 numbers on my last test which was 2 months ago, I haven't seen surgeon yet. I pray they dont stop you nor I from having our surgery due to ac1 numbers. from all the articles I have read they stop the diabetic med. really soon after surgery and most of us are having the surgery due to diabetic and other health issues. I was also told the liquid diet shrinks our liver for the surgery and I would think it would also alter our ac1 numbers. I will pray your numbers come down so nothing keeps you from your surgery. I know how anxious it makes you feel and all the questions. Because it seems I have a new question on a daily basis.
This room is full of wonderful people who 'll take the time to answer your questions and offer advice on everything. Keep us posted how you are doing and how your journey is too once you have your surgery. Have a good day
Donna
ps: WELCOME TO THIS ROOM

Marcia,
My surgery date is also the 23rd, it would be awesome to go through this journey together. I am hoping for the same input you asked for. I am wishing you good luck on your test results and your journey. I am always here to help where I can. Its all a learning process :)

Hey Marcia - my surgery is April 20th. We should keep in touch and compare stories! I'd love to have a buddy! Best wishes!!

By the way - I have tried the BioChem Egg protein in chocolate flavor, and I really like it. I throw a half a banana and a teaspoon of almond butter in for a heavier morning shake, or I add 4 strawberries to it with some ice, or a tablespoon of decaf instant coffee ... just to change it up a bit. I also add 2 packets of stevia sweetener to each shake, but I really enjoy them!
As far as calcium ... NOW FOODS as well as Swanson Vitamins makes a calcium citrate powder. This is far cheaper than the chewables, and it is tasteless, so you can just toss it in the smoothies.

Back