• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery date scheduled for Sept. 23. Pre-op diet starting Sept. 9

Hi all, I am excited about my surgery nervous some like everyone but I still have a lot of questions. I have a lot of other problems also. I have lupus, fibro, etc. all the meds I take with these will I still have to take them and how do you take them and eat and drink? I have had many tests done and I go in on Wednesday for a procedure. I had to go off my Coumadin and take 2 shots a day in the stomach of vonedox? misspelled sorry. Then I have to do it all over next month. Sorry for venting. Guess I am a little more nervous than I thought. Best Wishes to all going in for their surgeries. And speedy recovery to everyone.

Welcome. I wish I could help with your questions. After surgery, many medicines are no longer needed. However, I cannot say this will be so for you.

Generally, high blood pressure meds, diabetic meds, water pills, etc are either reduced or completely eliminated in the short time after surgery as you drop the weight.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi all, I am excited about my surgery nervous some like everyone but I still have a lot of questions. I have a lot of other problems also. I have lupus, fibro, etc. all the meds I take with these will I still have to take them and how do you take them and eat and drink? I have had many tests done and I go in on Wednesday for a procedure. I had to go off my Coumadin and take 2 shots a day in the stomach of vonedox? misspelled sorry. Then I have to do it all over next month. Sorry for venting. Guess I am a little more nervous than I thought. Best Wishes to all going in for their surgeries. And speedy recovery to everyone.

CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery date!

I also had to go off my Coumadin and take the shots twice a day for a week or so before my gastric bypass and 6 wks after my bypass. Then I had to take them for my gallbladder surgery and my hysterectomy.. My stomach was a mass of bruises! Then when I went back on the Coumadin my numbers were all over the place so the have me on Xarelto (spelling?) now. Scary ads lawyers wanting to sue Xarelto' s pharmaceutical for deaths and bleeding problems but I seem to be doing ok on it.

I had a bunch of meds to take after surgery every day. My surgeon told me just to swallow my pills and they would go down, and they sure did 1 pill at a time. Along with my meds I had my vitamins and supplements too. Whenever possible I took the chewable supplements. I always ate something with my pills even if it was jello in the beginning or a swallow or two of milk to coat my stomach.

Good Luck to you!

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne for all the information. Right now I have to have a cytoscope done tomorrow and had to do the Lovenox for 5 days, but I was unable to take the last shot. I was bleeding from all the injection holes the doctor approved not to take the second of the day. I will let you know how things go. Hope you are doing well. You look terrific.

Best Wishes to you,

Linda

Thanks Cheyenne for all the information. Right now I have to have a cytoscope done tomorrow and had to do the Lovenox for 5 days, but I was unable to take the last shot. I was bleeding from all the injection holes the doctor approved not to take the second of the day. I will let you know how things go. Hope you are doing well. You look terrific.

Best Wishes to you,

Linda

Hi Linda, Not sure what a cytoscope is but.. Good luck tomorrow, :cool:

Thanks for the complement! My skin is a bit saggy but it's better than having all that fat! My health has really improved so much, I'm so grateful for my weight loss surgery. It truly changed my life! Wish I would have done it years ago!

Keep us posted,

Cheyenne

Thank you Ralph for the response. I guess I will find out when the surgery is over. I am just a little nervous because all my medicines say will possibly put weight on. I don't want to regain. But I have to work and get it off. And with the people that helps we can do it right. Have a great week.

Best Wishes
Linda

Thank you, I am so bruised and still bleeding some I hope I can have this done. Will know tomorrow morning at 8:15.

You look fabulous. Your hair is perfect and your skin looks great. I wish I would have had this done years ago also, but I never thought they would except me with some of my issues. I am so glad they are. Sept. 23 can't wait till its over. New life begins. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Linda

Lots of medicines say there is a possibility of gaining weight. However, with the weight loss surgery, it far out weighs ( no pun intended) the ability to gain. You will lose weight and plenty of it; given that you follow the program that your surgeon recommends.

You can sabotage your weight loss efforts by NOT following the new regimen of foods, rules, sip sip sip and small meals (1200 calories or less). There have been a few folks (none here that I know of) that have simply gone back to their old habits immediately and defeat the surgery. It is only a tool.

If you abuse it you will regain the weight.

What this gives you is an opportunity to lose a bunch of weight within one year to two by following this discipline and retraining yourself to consume smaller amounts of foods.

To this day I do not consume more than 1800 calories a day on average. Yes, there are days when I see my weight creep up. I try to stay between 200 to 205. Sometime, I exceed like right now I am 206. When this occurs I spend the next few days being very strict by going back to basics and limiting my daily intake back down to 1200 calories or so and low carbs. Remember protein first, eat slowly (very slowly) and after you have consumed your required amount of protein then allow for veggies.

To this day I never feel hungry. I do eat because I need to eat for nutrtional reasons. I no longer live to eat; I eat to live. This took a year or so to really become a good habit; a new way of life.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Hi Cheyenne, hope everything is going good with you. I had my testing done on Wednesday do not know results yet, but I did good. Until Thurs. My right leg starting hurting really bad went and seen the doctor and he put me on a pred. burst. Believes it is from my back. Friday I was putting the ice bag in the freezer and a pop happened behind my knee. oH THE pain was unbelievable. So my daughter took me to the hospital. I had torn a ligament. Now we have to see a orthopedic doctor. The pain right now isn't too bad. I am doing everything almost that I am suppose to. It is hard to do it all.. lol. But I do believe this to shall pass. I just have to do what they all say. right? Thanks for asking. I hope you are doing well.

Linda

Oh Linda, I'm so sorry, a torn ligament must be so painful! Glad you are felling better. Will they do surgery on your ligament I wonder.

I have an appointment tomorrow with an orthopedic surgeon because of my knees and my shoulder. They told me years ago my knees were bone on bone. I wanted to lose weight before I had surgery so I waited to go see him til now.

Hope all goes well for you! Let me know how you do.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I hope your appointment goes well for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. This is very painful, I can't put weight on it I right now am looking to find a orthopedic doctor in order to find out for sure. The soonest I can get in so far is the 15th. That seems so far away.

Let me know how you do ok. Take care.

Hi Linda, I now am scheduled for surgery on Oct 27 on my right knee. He said it should help but probably won't make it 100% better because I have had bad knees so long my ligaments and muscles are all messed up. But it should make it somewhat better. I'm really not sure if I should go ahead with it as his prognosis was quite guarded. I guess I need to think on it!

Cheyenne

Hi Linda, I now am scheduled for surgery on Oct 27 on my right knee. He said it should help but probably won't make it 100% better because I have had bad knees so long my ligaments and muscles are all messed up. But it should make it somewhat better. I'm really not sure if I should go ahead with it as his prognosis was quite guarded. I guess I need to think on it!

Cheyenne
Cheyenne,

My wife had her right knee replaced about two years ago now.

She never looked back.

Don't be fooled, there was a full year of physical therapy and pain that slowly got better until it was finally gone. It took a full year for the pain to go away. It took physical therapy twice a week for a year to get full motion back, rebuild the muscles and ligaments (that is what keeps the knee together).

But again the reward is she can walk and dance again.

So it is a tough road forward.

I would get another opinion as well. Your Doctor sounds like he was giving you sound advice.

Quite frankly, my wife's surgeon didn't think she would get back all her mobility the way she did. She was DETERMINED !!!!

Best wishes,

Ralph

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne, Oh I am so sorry to hear you have to go through that. Wow I guess we can really put our bodies through a lot. I just hurt my knee last week and the pain has been unbelievable and here you are having bad ligaments and muscles for a long time. I feel like a baby complaining about mine and it has only been less than a week. Do you think you should go for a second opinion? I finally get to go on Tuesday to have mine checked out. The only time it really hurts bad is when I stand up. And try to walk without my brace on. Is that how yours is? Do you need a complete knee replacement? I go for my knee on Tuesday and then start my full liquid diet on Wednesday and then my sleeve 2 weeks later. I wasn't anticipating my leg to go never had this happen. Well I hope and pray that you come up with the right answer. And hopefully your pain will start going away before. I will pray for that.

Yay! I'm excited for you. Is the pre-op diet purely a liquid diet?

Tracy

Well the 2 week pre op is almost over and Wednesday will be here soon. I am still looking forward to it. My grandson had his homecoming tonight and I had to have my picture with him Oh my how bad I looked.. Next year at this time I should look a lot better. And feel a lot better. My leg is still a problem. Not being able to walk very well. I have arthritis for sure inside my kneecap. And it is hard to get around. hope I can exercise okay. At least walk. Well don't know how often I can be on before Wednesday, please say a prayer for my surgeon that he will be able to handle everything ok . And I hope I can do everything they want me to do. Talk to you all later. Hugs. Linda

Dear Linda and Ralph,

Sorry I somehow missed reading this entire thread after you both responded about my knee. I don't understand how as I look for new dates posted every day.

My knees are both totally trashed. Bone on bone, no cartilage at all. The orthopedic surgeon seemed quite shocked that I wasn't taking pain killers of some type. I need total knee replacement on both knees. My bariatric surgeon recommended a surgeon who specializes in knee surgery for a 2nd opinion but he is an 1 1/2 hrs away which is near my bariatric surgeons office. It's been bad enough to go all that way (3 hrs round trip) for my bariatric surgeon but to do it again for my knees, I'm not sure, he may want me to go to physical therapy down there if I chose him over my current surgeon who I'm not too fond of.. so I should find a good surgeon near me. But that's easier said than done. Been reading reviews online. One person loves their surgeon and he's the best of the best and the next one hates him and thinks he's a quack.

Thanks Ralph, for telling me about your wife's journey with her knees. Glad she has healed so well after much hard work. I guess I'll just have to work very hard if I want to walk pain free again.

Good luck Linda on Wednesday! I'll be thinking of you! Soon as you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing !!! So sorry about your leg, how is it feeling now? What did the doctor say about it?

Sending Hugs,

Cheyenne

Hi Cheyenne, Well had my surgery on Wednesday the 23rd and home on Friday the 25th. Everything went very well. I was able to get up and start walking and all that kept going thru my mind was to walk, walk, walk. So I did as much as I could. The only pain believe it or not was in my leg kneecap. It is difficult to tell the difference on the knew stomach if it is hungry or full. So if I am eating and I feel the pang I stop. But like in the morning when I haven't ate I have decided that is hunger pains lol.. I feel really good. After surgery they had me on constant IV's so when I came home I did with tree trunks for legs and feet. Finally They put me back on 1 of my water pills and instead of gaining weight I am losing. Now I have toes. lol. And have lost 18 lbs. Mostly all water. Thank you all for the prayers. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Cheyenne, Well had my surgery on Wednesday the 23rd and home on Friday the 25th. Everything went very well. I was able to get up and start walking and all that kept going thru my mind was to walk, walk, walk. So I did as much as I could. The only pain believe it or not was in my leg kneecap. It is difficult to tell the difference on the knew stomach if it is hungry or full. So if I am eating and I feel the pang I stop. But like in the morning when I haven't ate I have decided that is hunger pains lol.. I feel really good. After surgery they had me on constant IV's so when I came home I did with tree trunks for legs and feet. Finally They put me back on 1 of my water pills and instead of gaining weight I am losing. Now I have toes. lol. And have lost 18 lbs. Mostly all water. Thank you all for the prayers. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Linda! So glad you are doing so well! WONDERFUL! 18 lbs is great!

I also gained a lot of weight from IV fluids in the hospital but I started losing as soon as I took my Lasix water pill.

Take Care, Keep up the good work!

Cheyenne

Back