• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Dec 16, 2019

My gastric bypass went well on Monday, but it was so painful to get out of bed, use restroom, and walk the path around the nurse's station. Tuesday was much better as I was able to walk 4 more times, the last 2 times with only slight discomfort, and then discharged Tue evening. I was surprised it took me 45 min to an hour to take in 2-3 ounces of clear liquid for breakfast and lunch. I'm so glad I have less pain as each day goes by.

Congratulations Amailyn. Why is it taking you so long to drink 2 to 3 oz of liquid? Is it because you are getting full very quickly? If so, just make sure that you drink as much water as you possibly can and take those vitamins. Also, that is the tiniest amount I have ever heard anyone say post-op, so I would call my doctor and my nutritionist and mention this problem.

Hi Diane! Yes, 1st day after surgery I only had 1 oz broth and 1 oz SF jello, then for lunch I had 2 oz broth and 1 oz SF pudding, but in between I was taking my meds and sipping on ice chips and water. When I got home Tue evening I wasn't hungry but I had 2 oz broth. Yesterday my intake was at the same amounts but I was able to finish closer to 30 min rather than 1 hour. I feel much better today so I think I'll be able to take in more today. If not, I'll call my doctor. Thanks for your help, I appreciate you!

Well, surgery twin and friends..... here’s my story thus far. On Monday, December 16, I had RNY bypass surgery along with a hiatal hernia repair and removal of a small suspicious abdominal mass.

3 years ago, I had a large abdominal mass that turned out to be a borderline malignancy. My oncologist had been watching this new spot for a little over a year and when I told her that I was going for bariatric surgery, she said that she would come in at the same time and remove it.

I woke up from surgery in relatively little pain, the deed being done and the procedures routine. My problems came the day after surgery, when I attempted to take in any liquids. Any liquid going down, would cause my new little pouch and digestive system to go into painful spasms. My surgeon decided to keep me hospitalized for an additional day to see if they could convince by body to tolerate liquids and keep me hydrated with IV fluids. Baclofan was administered to help with the spasms. Additionally, my blood sugar weirdly went up and I was administered 2 doses of insulin. Never before had blood sugar issues and no family history of diabetes. The first day after surgery, I finally tolerated 1 oz of broth, 1 oz of diluted juice, and 1 oz of water.

The second day after surgery, Wednesday, I was feeling much better, could sip without pain, and was cleared for discharge. That night, in my own bed, I slept an unheard of for me 10 hours. Sips of liquids went down with ease, though I could immediately tell if I sipped too much due to an uncomfortable pressure. It seems that herbal mint tea is agreeing well. I also had sugar free jello, broth, and some clear protein drink.

I have had 4 previous abdominal surgeries, 1 open, 3 laparoscopic and this is, by far, the least painful. I have not needed any of the prescribed narcotic pain relievers sent home with me. Had to go back to the hospital yesterday for a blood test. There is history of DVT blood clots, so I have to be on injectable blood thinners for 3 weeks. The blood test was to check the therapeutic level of the medicine.

So, I don't have to return to work until January 6, so I’m going to enjoy my staycation and the holidays without guilt.

Well, surgery twin and friends..... here’s my story thus far. On Monday, December 16, I had RNY bypass surgery along with a hiatal hernia repair and removal of a small suspicious abdominal mass.

3 years ago, I had a large abdominal mass that turned out to be a borderline malignancy. My oncologist had been watching this new spot for a little over a year and when I told her that I was going for bariatric surgery, she said that she would come in at the same time and remove it.

I woke up from surgery in relatively little pain, the deed being done and the procedures routine. My problems came the day after surgery, when I attempted to take in any liquids. Any liquid going down, would cause my new little pouch and digestive system to go into painful spasms. My surgeon decided to keep me hospitalized for an additional day to see if they could convince by body to tolerate liquids and keep me hydrated with IV fluids. Baclofan was administered to help with the spasms. Additionally, my blood sugar weirdly went up and I was administered 2 doses of insulin. Never before had blood sugar issues and no family history of diabetes. The first day after surgery, I finally tolerated 1 oz of broth, 1 oz of diluted juice, and 1 oz of water.

The second day after surgery, Wednesday, I was feeling much better, could sip without pain, and was cleared for discharge. That night, in my own bed, I slept an unheard of for me 10 hours. Sips of liquids went down with ease, though I could immediately tell if I sipped too much due to an uncomfortable pressure. It seems that herbal mint tea is agreeing well. I also had sugar free jello, broth, and some clear protein drink.

I have had 4 previous abdominal surgeries, 1 open, 3 laparoscopic and this is, by far, the least painful. I have not needed any of the prescribed narcotic pain relievers sent home with me. Had to go back to the hospital yesterday for a blood test. There is history of DVT blood clots, so I have to be on injectable blood thinners for 3 weeks. The blood test was to check the therapeutic level of the medicine.

So, I don't have to return to work until January 6, so I’m going to enjoy my staycation and the holidays without guilt.

Hi Lydarose,
I'm glad you are are able to tolerate liquids now and that you are doing well at home. It looks like you had a great team taking care of you. Like you, I haven't needed the narcotic meds since coming home either. I had more pain recovering from gallbladder removal surgery years ago. I don't have to return to work til Jan 13, but at this rate I will probably return to work on Jan 6 as well. Enjoy your staycation and your healing.
-Lyn

Hi all. Just checking in. It’s been difficult these past few days. I’m not having pain or nausea but I’m not meeting my fluid goal daily. I’ve had to go in to get IV fluids for dehydration. Now I have a UTI also. So along with trying to get fluids in I have to get my BP meds and antibiotics in 2x a day. The feeling of fullness only allows me to tolerate a smaller amount of fluids each time. My Bari team wants me to get 64 oz per day and I haven’t been able to make that. I can tolerate water, popsicles, broth and jello but on very little amounts. Any suggestions about taking meds?

Hi all. Just checking in. It’s been difficult these past few days. I’m not having pain or nausea but I’m not meeting my fluid goal daily. I’ve had to go in to get IV fluids for dehydration. Now I have a UTI also. So along with trying to get fluids in I have to get my BP meds and antibiotics in 2x a day. The feeling of fullness only allows me to tolerate a smaller amount of fluids each time. My Bari team wants me to get 64 oz per day and I haven’t been able to make that. I can tolerate water, popsicles, broth and jello but on very little amounts. Any suggestions about taking meds?
Hi Flowersz, sorry you're having some trouble. I'm glad you got the IV fluids, I know when I did, I felt 100% better immediately after. Sorry, I don't have advice to give on how to get your meds down. I hope someone else does and I hope it gets easier soon!

Hi Flowers,
I also have not been able to reach the 64 oz minimal goal yet either, but it is increasing slowly as each day passes. I can only take 2 meds at a time with 1 oz of fluid so it takes me all morning long and all evening to take all my BP meds, diabetic meds, the famotidine, and vitamins, etc., I can only take the meds with either water, protein drink, or broth. So I only get the soft foods, thicker soups, cottage cheese, etc. at lunchtime when I'm not taking meds. I'm glad you were able to get IV fluids. I hope you will be feeling better soon. Just try to increase little by little each day. On Wed I only had a total of 44 ounces of water, broth, and protein drink, Thu I was able to get in 48 ounces of water, broth, and protein drink, today I'm getting closer to 64 but I don't think I'll quite make it today. Again, just spread all your meds throughout the mroning and evening, and eventually you will be able to take more meds together when you can tolerate more amounts of fluids at one time. Good luck to you!

Hi Flowers,
I also have not been able to reach the 64 oz minimal goal yet either, but it is increasing slowly as each day passes. I can only take 2 meds at a time with 1 oz of fluid so it takes me all morning long and all evening to take all my BP meds, diabetic meds, the famotidine, and vitamins, etc., I can only take the meds with either water, protein drink, or broth. So I only get the soft foods, thicker soups, cottage cheese, etc. at lunchtime when I'm not taking meds. I'm glad you were able to get IV fluids. I hope you will be feeling better soon. Just try to increase little by little each day. On Wed I only had a total of 44 ounces of water, broth, and protein drink, Thu I was able to get in 48 ounces of water, broth, and protein drink, today I'm getting closer to 64 but I don't think I'll quite make it today. Again, just spread all your meds throughout the mroning and evening, and eventually you will be able to take more meds together when you can tolerate more amounts of fluids at one time. Good luck to you!
Thank you so much. I’m working on it today. So far, I’ve had 38 oz. I’m just trusting that it will get better everyday. Your advise is valuable. I’ll definitely try that tomorrow....space my meds throughout. Thanks again! I’m glad you’re doing well.

Back