• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in 2 wks. Help!

janechia

Hello everyone,

My name is Jane and I'm due to have my surgery in about 2 wks. I have been preparing since last May. Suddenly, I'm scared to death. I don't know if it's last minute (normal) jitters, or if I'm suddenly genuinely not sure anymore if I'm doing the right thing. I'm mostly interested to hear from those who have had it done; their experiences and anything they'd wish to share as to why I should have it or why I shouldn't. Thanks so much! I look forward to meeting you all :)

hello there my name is amanda i had the gastric bypass 11/16/11 to tell you the truth i wish i never did it i am having problems with eatting now my doc it working with me but everytime i eat i get sick they never told me this could happen i wish i can met somebody like me to see if it gets better as for you doing the surgery it is what you want bc everybody is different i wish you the best of luck...:cool:

Hi Amanda!

I know a few people locally who have had it done and they all say I'd have no regrets. I've not heard anything negative so I decided to look online for a support type group so I could hear from many who have gone through this surgery. I'm 245 pounds and need to lose about 90 pounds. I have had multiple back surgeries (thus my weight gain), so I'm no stranger to surgery. However, this seems soooo invasive. I'm just wondering if I should give it ONE more go at trying to do this on my own??? I'm so confused, it's making me CRAZY!!

fellow back surgery pt.

Hi. I also have back issues. Degenerative disk disease. Had diskectomy and laminectomy last July. I am only 90lbs overweight as well. I have fibromylgia as well. I felt the risk to my back was enough to warrant the bariatric surgery. I looked at it as medically necessary. I feel that it's normal to be scared, but if you have done the research, and until now felt it was right, your probably just scared. This surgery, although physically demanding to heal from has changed my life posatively forever. There also is no need to rush yourself, if you really aren't sure, postpone until you are. Its to big of a decision to not be sure. Good luck. Tina

Jane Welcome. My name is Tom. I can't relate to the back pain but I was morbidly obese by medical standards but the high blood pressure, high colesterol, getting tired out whenever I exerted myself, I knew I was on my way to a heart attack before 50. On my last few doctors appointments before thinking about surgery my weight was slowly climbing. I was by no means inactive, my job keeps me outside climbing hills and hiking on a regular basis and I had tried everything to lose weight and keep it off, I could lose weight but gain twice as much back, short of living on a liquid diet and working out 4 hours a day, bariatric surgery was my only option, and yes I was very nervouse and apprehensive wondering if I was doing the right thing, but for me I knew it was right, and it has changed my life for the better. Blood pressure is normal no more meds, colesterol is normal no more meds, I am running and hiking without fealing like I will keal over at any minute, I feel great:D

There are people in my support group that thought they would need knee surgery or back surgery but after the weight loss most did not need to have it, some with degeneritive diseases still needed surgery but the weight loss made the healing prosses easier and faster for them.

It seems like this discision did not come easy for you and nor did it for the rest of us, so if you think it is just pre surgery jitters go to a bariatric support group meeting to talk face to face with some people who have had the same medical problems and feelings or if you want to give a traditional weightloss program another try talk with you surgion or baritric counselor let them know you would like to do, if that doesn't work out the doctors will still be there. Either way it is a personal descision to make that does not come easy. Good luck :cool: Tom

hello there my name is amanda i had the gastric bypass 11/16/11 to tell you the truth i wish i never did it i am having problems with eatting now my doc it working with me but everytime i eat i get sick they never told me this could happen i wish i can met somebody like me to see if it gets better as for you doing the surgery it is what you want bc everybody is different i wish you the best of luck...:cool:

Hi Amanda, My name is Tom. It sounds like you are having a terrible time, I didn't experience dumping until I tried regular bread and again pasta my first year. Hopefully you and your nutritionist can get you something you can hold down. My first year post op I did not eat much I drank a lot of protien drinks and when I ate it was ground beef or tuna but I always had to supplament with protien shakes to get my 60 grams in. Ther are some people in my monthly support group that are having the same problem with keeping anything down. I have been hearing about a protien drink just for bariatric patients thay talked about in my group but I cant remember the name, but someon on this site will know, if you havent tried that maybe you can see if perhaps that may help. Sorry you are having such a rough time, things will get better. :cool: Tom

Hi Jane!
I just had surgery December 8, 2011. I have to tell you I was scared to death. At first I was excited because it had taken so long to get approved, but as it got closer to the day, I started to panic. I started asking myself if this was something I really should be doing. I talked to a friend the evening prior to the surgery who helped put me at ease (she had the surgery about 5 years ago). Two weeks after surgery I gave my doctor the biggest hug ever!!! I felt so much better in those two weeks than I had in a long time. No more diabetes medication, no more high cholesterol and although I'm still on a low dose of blood pressure medicine (my doctor thinks I'll probably be off of it shortly), I feel that I made the best decision ever!! Of course everyone is different and you have to decide for yourself, but I'm thinking you're probably just nervous. Make a list Pros and Cons and perhaps that can help. Good luck on whatever you decided. Let us know what you do.

Jane I had my surgery July 2011 and I think we all go thru those type of emotions or jitters. It's just natural because this will change the rest of your life. I have no regrets and would do it again in a heartbeat. I am off all my prescription medicines within 1 month of my surgery and by the end of 2 months I no longer had to use my CPAP machine! I can tell you that support before and after is so important. I have met some amazing people on my journey and its so nice talking to people who know exactly what you are going thru. Good luck with your surgery! Keep us posted.

Jane, I had my surgery on December 27,2011. I had the same feelings as you. Should I do it or should I wait. Well I went ahead and am so glad I did. The weight is slowly coming off and I am just now on pureed food but up to this point it hasn't been that bad. I am so excited to get the weight off because I've had two back surgeries, both knees replaced (my left knee twice), and a cervical surgery. I dont want to have any more surgeries if I can help it. Weigh the pros and cons and decide what it best for you. You won't be sorry if you go ahead with it. Best of luck. Mindy

Back