• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in Two WEEKS! Need advice!

HappyMomof2

Good Afternoon! I am new to this site and looking for advice. After going back and forth with the decision to have surgery or not, I have finally decided it is the best choice for me. My surgery(VSG) is in 2 weeks. Please tell me everything you wish you had known before your surgery!! Thank you in advance!!!

Hello
I'm new to this site I just signed up today but I had mine done(Gastric sleve) done on 12/14/2020 & advice is that you need to fallow your pre-opp diet to the letter and remember to drink lots of water you need to make all of the organs around of or on top of the stomach as small as possible
It really helps the Dr.s when they get in there
Now like I said I am new to this site and I don't know how it works but my name is Chuckie B and feel free to ask any questions about this it wasn't so long ago that I forgot anything about my experience
Where are you having your Surgery?

Hello
I'm new to this site I just signed up today but I had mine done(Gastric sleve) done on 12/14/2020 & advice is that you need to fallow your pre-opp diet to the letter and remember to drink lots of water you need to make all of the organs around of or on top of the stomach as small as possible
It really helps the Dr.s when they get in there
Now like I said I am new to this site and I don't know how it works but my name is Chuckie B and feel free to ask any questions about this it wasn't so long ago that I forgot anything about my experience
Where are you having your Surgery?
Was your pre-op diet liquid or low carb/high protein?

High protein until 3days out then it was liquid
My BMI was almost 65 and I had to start my pre-op 3wks before surgery I was at my heaviest 462 and started pre-op the day after Thanksgiving and the day of my surgery I was down to 427 I almost called off the surgery thinking if I can do this in 3wks well...
I'm glad that I went through with it I'm almost 2 months out of surgery now but I'm only down to 397 but I have been on my own see I had my surgery done in Mexico and until today have been alone on my journey and trying to figure out what to eat that won't make me sick or hurt but I'm hoping that having a place like here to talk & ask questions will help me
Thanks for listening
Chuckie

Welcome HappyMom & Chuckie to our group! I don't know if there is anything I wish I knew before surgery. Oh, I just thought of one thing. Don't overstock up on protein shakes for after the surgery. Sometimes you tastes will change and a protein drink you liked before surgery might turn into a dislike after. I found that to be somewhat true. Otherwise, I think I went in pretty prepared going in. I had a lapband revision to gastric sleeve so I suppose that was helpful in some ways to know what to expect. There is tons of info here if you utilize the search bar and also a resource section. Of course, feel free to ask any specific questions along the way.

HappyMom, I'm glad you are so close to your surgery date, you've got this! Your journey is beginning to a healthier you. :)

Chuckie, when you had surgery in Mexico, did they give you any guidance as to the different stages of eating post surgery and food recommendations? If not, I can post the guide that my doctor gave (I had the sleeve too), just let me know.

Thank you both for the welcome!! I am excited and terrified but ready!!! I am thankfully having the surgery in my hometown in the US so I have to travel 5 minutes to the dr and hospital! Chuckie B., you are brave for going it alone in Mexico!! I am blessed to have my family’s support!!
Judy...what protein drinks do you like best? I am having a very hard time finding anything that I think tastes even close to good!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome to you both! Before surgery I wish I would have known how much stomach gurgling there would be-sounds like I’ve got a whale in there sometimes! LOL Everyone is different when it comes to feeling hungry after surgery. I was 4 weeks post op before I even had the slightest hint of hunger. I was also extremely exhausted for about 3 weeks then it came in waves, but I didn’t realize I’d be that drained. Don’t push exercise after surgery. I now know that I really enjoy soups in the blender, and since I couldn’t eat much, they lasted for days! I can’t think of anything else right now.

Thank you both for the welcome!! I am excited and terrified but ready!!! I am thankfully having the surgery in my hometown in the US so I have to travel 5 minutes to the dr and hospital! Chuckie B., you are brave for going it alone in Mexico!! I am blessed to have my family’s support!!
Judy...what protein drinks do you like best? I am having a very hard time finding anything that I think tastes even close to good!!! Thanks in advance!!!

My go to most used is Premier Protein ready to drink. My grocery store almost always has them on sale or if not I order from Amazon. My favorite is the Café Late but I also like chocolate, banana, pumpkin pie & peach. I do have some powdered protein on hand but I'm not as fond of them. Although I discovered that I like the coffee protein powder that I got from Bariatric Fusion tastes better when I put it in my Ninja blender, mixed with ice and milk. It comes out like a milkshake. There are tons of protein drink recipes if you really want to play around with them.

My best advice to you is to follow your doc's orders to the T. They have a reason for everything and drink lots of water prior to the surgery this will help them with moving your liver around. Surgery day after they bring you up from recovery I found that warm blankets on my tummy helped with pain and cramping. Most likely they will just have you on a tylenol drip after your surgery. If your still having a lot of pain don't be afraid to ask if they can put you on something stronger. There are other pain meds that they can give you to help with the pain. Remember if your in pain your body can't heal. Probably the first week you will not loose any if not very little weight due to not moving around a lot and some swelling from the surgery itself. But rest assured you will start to loose the 2nd week after your able to get up and move around. Good Luck!!

Welcome to you both! Before surgery I wish I would have known how much stomach gurgling there would be-sounds like I’ve got a whale in there sometimes! LOL Everyone is different when it comes to feeling hungry after surgery. I was 4 weeks post op before I even had the slightest hint of hunger. I was also extremely exhausted for about 3 weeks then it came in waves, but I didn’t realize I’d be that drained. Don’t push exercise after surgery. I now know that I really enjoy soups in the blender, and since I couldn’t eat much, they lasted for days! I can’t think of anything else right now.
Stomach gurgling...something to look forward to!!!!! :) Thank you so much for the advice!!

My best advice to you is to follow your doc's orders to the T. They have a reason for everything and drink lots of water prior to the surgery this will help them with moving your liver around. Surgery day after they bring you up from recovery I found that warm blankets on my tummy helped with pain and cramping. Most likely they will just have you on a tylenol drip after your surgery. If your still having a lot of pain don't be afraid to ask if they can put you on something stronger. There are other pain meds that they can give you to help with the pain. Remember if your in pain your body can't heal. Probably the first week you will not loose any if not very little weight due to not moving around a lot and some swelling from the surgery itself. But rest assured you will start to loose the 2nd week after your able to get up and move around. Good Luck!!
Thanks so much!! I plan to do everything the doc tells me!! That is great advice!

My go to most used is Premier Protein ready to drink. My grocery store almost always has them on sale or if not I order from Amazon. My favorite is the Café Late but I also like chocolate, banana, pumpkin pie & peach. I do have some powdered protein on hand but I'm not as fond of them. Although I discovered that I like the coffee protein powder that I got from Bariatric Fusion tastes better when I put it in my Ninja blender, mixed with ice and milk. It comes out like a milkshake. There are tons of protein drink recipes if you really want to play around with them.
Thank you so much! I tried an off brand and it was awful! I am not stocking up before since tastes can and will change, but I just need to know my options!! :)

Stomach gurgling...something to look forward to!!!!! :) Thank you so much for the advice!!
Something I knew I had to adjust to, but didn’t think would be so hard is controlling the amount of liquid I drink at a time. If I was thirsty, I would just chug a glass of water. Now I have to take sips often. I was thinking about that when I woke up with dry mouth this morning LOL

Hello and welcome. A few things I found helpful post op; Shot glasses. My docs suggestion for liquid was 1 oz every 15 minutes after the first day. A shot glass is one ounce, so you know exactly what you're getting and it feels like you're accomplishing something, when a 20 oz bottle seems insurmountable. Abdominal Binder: if they don't give you one, get one. It really keeps everything in place, which decreases your pain at home. For the first week of clear liquid only, I used (as did my hospital) Isopure Zero Carb Clear Protein. It has 40g per 20oz bottle, compared to Protein 2o's 15g/20oz. I did, and still do not, enjoy any premade protein shakes. I get flavored protein powder from Aldi ($14 for 19servings/30g protein each) and made my own with high protein milk and ice. They have chocolate and vanilla. Unflavored Protein clumps if you mix it with hot beverages/soup. So go warm only. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck to you both.

Hello and welcome. A few things I found helpful post op; Shot glasses. My docs suggestion for liquid was 1 oz every 15 minutes after the first day. A shot glass is one ounce, so you know exactly what you're getting and it feels like you're accomplishing something, when a 20 oz bottle seems insurmountable. Abdominal Binder: if they don't give you one, get one. It really keeps everything in place, which decreases your pain at home. For the first week of clear liquid only, I used (as did my hospital) Isopure Zero Carb Clear Protein. It has 40g per 20oz bottle, compared to Protein 2o's 15g/20oz. I did, and still do not, enjoy any premade protein shakes. I get flavored protein powder from Aldi ($14 for 19servings/30g protein each) and made my own with high protein milk and ice. They have chocolate and vanilla. Unflavored Protein clumps if you mix it with hot beverages/soup. So go warm only. That's all I can think of for now. Good luck to you both.
Thank you SO much!!! Very good info. I appreciate the advice!!

I feel the need to jump on this train here my RNY surgery is scheduled for 2/15/21 In Iowa city. The down part is it is 2.5 hours away from home each way. Yesterday was my big meeting with dietician, RN, PA, and surgeon. Then EKG, chest X-ray and anesthesiologist. Today I start 1200/800 menu blended diet. I did get permission for oatmeal since it wasn’t on the list, mixed with pb powder. What a day.

I feel the need to jump on this train here my RNY surgery is scheduled for 2/15/21 In Iowa city. The down part is it is 2.5 hours away from home each way. Yesterday was my big meeting with dietician, RN, PA, and surgeon. Then EKG, chest X-ray and anesthesiologist. Today I start 1200/800 menu blended diet. I did get permission for oatmeal since it wasn’t on the list, mixed with pb powder. What a day.
Hi Roni!! Looks like we are on almost the same time line. My post-op diet is high protein and under 35g of carbs a day. They did not restrict calories, which I found strange. What is on your list? I feel like I am eating too much, but I am not sure!! I am doing the gastric sleeve, so that might make a difference too! Best of luck to you!!

I'm 70 and getting gastric bypass in May..I read that there is a chance of hair loss a few months after surgery and was thinking about a cut and perm the month before surgery to minimize showing hair loss..do you know if alot of people loose hair..

Back