• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in Two WEEKS! Need advice!

I’m 3 months post op and losing my hair. I’ve read various accounts of people who’ve lost their hair for months, a few weeks, and not at all. I’m not sure which category I fit in yet, but I’m planning on getting my hair cut later this week. If it does happen, it’ll be a few months after surgery, so I’d base your presurgical hair cut on how quick your hair grows or how regularly you get perms and cuts now.

My docs were like "you MIGHT lose your hair" but talking to everyone here, plus everyone I actually know who has had WLS, slv or rny, HAS lost hair. Even knowing it's coming, it is quite shocking when it start. I already had thin, fine hair so I was less than thrilled. However, it didn't last as long as I feared. My suggestion is keep all the hair you can, you can cut it after it the loss starts to get a fuller look. Also, I found that if I washed it less, I lost less hair. It's possible that it just seemed like less, since I wasn't seeing it every day but I don't mind fooling myself lol

I'm 70 and getting gastric bypass in May..I read that there is a chance of hair loss a few months after surgery and was thinking about a cut and perm the month before surgery to minimize showing hair loss..do you know if alot of people loose hair..
I am worried about that too!! I plan to take Biotin and hope for the best!! :) I have thick hair and it is very curly so I hope it won't be noticeable. Best of luck to you with your surgery!!! Hope the hair loss is minimal!

Hi Roni!! Looks like we are on almost the same time line. My post-op diet is high protein and under 35g of carbs a day. They did not restrict calories, which I found strange. What is on your list? I feel like I am eating too much, but I am not sure!! I am doing the gastric sleeve, so that might make a difference too! Best of luck to you!!
i am on my pre op diet. my bariatric team gave me quantities of foods. For 1200 per day and 800 per day. Protein is a requirement since our bodies will need to make up for less stomach and for less intestine. Therefore I do add protein powder to my milk snacks currently. I will be adding protein to all my foods after surgery. Especially during the liquid and purée phases.

i am on my pre op diet. my bariatric team gave me quantities of foods. For 1200 per day and 800 per day. Protein is a requirement since our bodies will need to make up for less stomach and for less intestine. Therefore I do add protein powder to my milk snacks currently. I will be adding protein to all my foods after surgery. Especially during the liquid and purée phases.
Oops...I am doing my pre-op as well!! Not post-op! :)

I feel the need to jump on this train here my RNY surgery is scheduled for 2/15/21 In Iowa city. The down part is it is 2.5 hours away from home each way. Yesterday was my big meeting with dietician, RN, PA, and surgeon. Then EKG, chest X-ray and anesthesiologist. Today I start 1200/800 menu blended diet. I did get permission for oatmeal since it wasn’t on the list, mixed with pb powder. What a day.

Back