• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery is TOMORROW

HappyMomof2

Hello friends!! My surgery is tomorrow. I am excited, but a little terrified! I know that I can only have clear liquids after the surgery. Can anyone tell me what you ate (actually, drank) in the first week after surgery? I think I am prepared, but I would love to hear what you think is a necessity the first week after surgery. Thanks in advance!!!

My surgeon said protein shakes are allowed in any liquid phase, but check with your doctor first since they can be different. I like the Protein2O protein waters. I also like the premier protein sales chocolate, vanilla, and cafe latte, but the cafe latte has caffeine, so follow directions as far as caffeine goes. I think I also had sugar free pudding on the liquid phase.

My surgeon said protein shakes are allowed in any liquid phase, but check with your doctor first since they can be different. I like the Protein2O protein waters. I also like the premier protein sales chocolate, vanilla, and cafe latte, but the cafe latte has caffeine, so follow directions as far as caffeine goes. I think I also had sugar free pudding on the liquid phase.
Thank you so much!! I will ask my surgeon about the protein shakes. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me!!

I had broth, strained fat free cream of mushroom soup that I added unflavored protein powder to, Premier Protein Shakes. I would recommend that you check with your surgery center. Mine provided me with a packet full of information for each eating plan phase after surgery.

Thank you for your reply!! Protein shakes? I thought I could only have clear liquids. I have some protein water, but I am not a fan. Any suggestions for a good flavor and/or brand?
There are clear protein drinks that work for the clear liquid stage. Since your surgery is tomorrow and you might not be able to find these in a grocery store, try GNC or other health food stores. You can also do an Amazon order and it will arrive pretty quickly. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes!!

There are clear protein drinks that work for the clear liquid stage. Since your surgery is tomorrow and you might not be able to find these in a grocery store, try GNC or other health food stores. You can also do an Amazon order and it will arrive pretty quickly. Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes!!
I do have some clear protein drinks. They are ok, but I am not a big fan. Thanks so much!! I appreciate the support!!!

Not everybody has a clear liquid stage after, that depends on your surgical team. I was back to regular liquid diet post surgery like above but honestly the first couple days I slept so much it took all I had to just drink water

I was only allowed clear liquids and really only drank clear protein drinks. I did not really like them either, but diluted them with water so at least I was getting my protein in. Fortunately, clear liquid only lasts a week. I used Isopure Zero Carb Clear Protein, since it has 40 grams of protein in a 20 oz bottle. I probably only managed a bottle a day.

I just had my surgery on feb 15, it was clear liquids in the hospital and the first day home. Then it changed to full liquids. I was reviewing the booklet they gave me in the beginning and read clear liquids for seven days. On my discharge paperwork it said full liquids. After two days to get confirmation I was reassured that I was on full liquids. I went to first week follow up and I am down 4 pounds and remain on full liquids until March 2 and progress to puréed applesauce consistancy. The biggest no no is acidic foods, no orange juice Etc. and no tomato foods.

First week was just clear liquids and yes I got bored of that real quick like but 2nd week I added sugar free jello and it was good! Ask your surgeon yours may allow you to have the sugar free jello the first week.

Hello friends!! My surgery is tomorrow. I am excited, but a little terrified! I know that I can only have clear liquids after the surgery. Can anyone tell me what you ate (actually, drank) in the first week after surgery? I think I am prepared, but I would love to hear what you think is a necessity the first week after surgery. Thanks in advance!!!
I hope your surgery went well and you have a speedy recovery!

I had water and protein shakes (premier chocolate shake is my favor )and chicken broth and also ice chips helped so much . Little secret I’m not sure if where you live they have a fast food place called Sonics ? They have amazing small circle ice you can bag in a big bag for only $3 .After the first stage I went on to eat creme of potato soup which sounds nasty but actually very good and love it way better then chicken broth. I also made myself some fresh fruit smoothie that my doctor okayed and I loved these as well .

Back