• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery May 1st

Wendybooth

Very nervous. Have never been out to sleep and I'm an old OR nurse. Super excited that it is finally getting started. Started in one program but insurance changed so starting again. Began this new program in October 2017. Biggest problem I have is going to be giving up diet soda and caffeine. I go to prep group class next weekend.

Any encouragement/suggestions are welcomed.

I found giving up beverages slowly helped. Going cold turkey causes headaches and can be super stressful. I started with soda first, and though my caffeine intake increased for a little while, it allowed me to get used to not drinking it. Once i was comfortable with not having soda, i started swapping in the decaf and reducing the number of cups I had a day.

Then to replace my beverages, I drink protein waters, vitamin waters, and infused waters... since plain water is hard for me to drink quantities of. Since my surgery, I have added crystal light, stur, and mio though I intend to drop the crystal light soon here.

My surgery will be the end of April first part of May. I want this so bad but have concerns of failure. I've started with increasing my proteins already and have started eating healthier. I've already lost 22 pounds in six weeks. But, I've lost weight before only to gain it back. I'm coming here for support and keep me on track. I hope to learn from what works for you in hopes that it works for me.

I saw where people are drinking protein and vitamin waters. I've always been doubtful of those drinks. Can anyone recommend the best brands that are out there and are truly what they claim? Right now I have been making my own whey protein drinks with hits and misses on flavors as I experiment.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Back