• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery November 29th!

I just started my liquid diet on Tuesday. So far it is not too bad. I have a shake every 3 hours and drink a lot in between, so I have not been hungry.

How long is your liquid diet? Is it longer than 2 weeks?

It sounds like you are doing great, losing so much weight before the surgery. I am so glad you are feeling better. Your positive attitude is inspiring ✨
My liquid diet is 4 weeks. I’ve got 12 days left!

Sending good vibes for you today!!!! So happy & proud of you!
Thank you so much ! RNY Procedure went very well! Checked in at 12, surgery at 2pm, finished before 5 and have been resting on and off. I’ve stood up to walk to the bathroom which was the most painful thing so far. I’ve been following everyone’s advice with the sipping every r few minutes and I’m about to try a few laps of walking. It did hurt to sip the water and take the pills they gave me at first but it’s getting a little easier. The gas pain in my chest and shoulders is weird but kind of like the day after you’ve seriously pulled some muscles. Nothing has been unbearable yet but that may be the morphine talking.

I’m wide awake at the moment (almost 1am) checking this site, watching TikTok (bad idea btw because all I want to do is laugh and it hurts lol) and trying not to buy anything on Amazon

The only issue I’ve run in to is the one specific nurse I have tonight. I was begging the nurse to help set up my cpap machine that I brought with me since 6:30pm because I was struggling to breathe as I kept dozing off. She kept brushing me off saying the respiratory therapost would be in around 9pm. finally got some help with it from resp therapist close to 10pm. I also told my nurse I brought an abdominal binder and it’s in my bag beside the bed but she said she’s never had anyone do that and wouldn’t get it for me. Hoping to luck up with a less grumpy nurse on the next shift change !

Thank you so much ! RNY Procedure went very well! Checked in at 12, surgery at 2pm, finished before 5 and have been resting on and off. I’ve stood up to walk to the bathroom which was the most painful thing so far. I’ve been following everyone’s advice with the sipping every r few minutes and I’m about to try a few laps of walking. It did hurt to sip the water and take the pills they gave me at first but it’s getting a little easier. The gas pain in my chest and shoulders is weird but kind of like the day after you’ve seriously pulled some muscles. Nothing has been unbearable yet but that may be the morphine talking.

I’m wide awake at the moment (almost 1am) checking this site, watching TikTok (bad idea btw because all I want to do is laugh and it hurts lol) and trying not to buy anything on Amazon

The only issue I’ve run in to is the one specific nurse I have tonight. I was begging the nurse to help set up my cpap machine that I brought with me since 6:30pm because I was struggling to breathe as I kept dozing off. She kept brushing me off saying the respiratory therapost would be in around 9pm. finally got some help with it from resp therapist close to 10pm. I also told my nurse I brought an abdominal binder and it’s in my bag beside the bed but she said she’s never had anyone do that and wouldn’t get it for me. Hoping to luck up with a less grumpy nurse on the next shift change !

Glad to hear your surgery went well. But, ugh, that nurse is awful! I know they are busy but still. Hopefully the next nurse on duty is much better! Speedy recovery!

Glad to hear your doing well, i hope you can get some sleep! Sorry about that nurse. Thats to bad!

Hospital personnel, shift workers, skilled and unskilled, oy! They can be a nightmare.

When I was post-op, feeling nauseated, my nurse stood in the doorway yakking with another nurse. I could barely move and had no emesis basin. I weakly called for help and she waved me off! Like, yeah, yeah, hold your horses, I'm busy talking about Tupperware. Finally, it was too late, and up came everything I'd been holding down, massive, watery projectile vomiting across the room.

Kinda put a damper on her night.

Because of experiences like that, I always make a point of bonding with nursing personnel immediately.

But if I'd encountered what you had, I'd be on the phone with the nurse's station audibly complaining. I'm supportive of overworked medical personnel, but you have to draw a line.

Hope you're having a great day!

Hospital personnel, shift workers, skilled and unskilled, oy! They can be a nightmare.

When I was post-op, feeling nauseated, my nurse stood in the doorway yakking with another nurse. I could barely move and had no emesis basin. I weakly called for help and she waved me off! Like, yeah, yeah, hold your horses, I'm busy talking about Tupperware. Finally, it was too late, and up came everything I'd been holding down, massive, watery projectile vomiting across the room.

Kinda put a damper on her night.

Because of experiences like that, I always make a point of bonding with nursing personnel immediately.

But if I'd encountered what you had, I'd be on the phone with the nurse's station audibly complaining. I'm supportive of overworked medical personnel, but you have to draw a line.

Hope you're having a great day!
I finally got her chatting and friendly after a few hours! It seemed like she had a large caseload so I wasn’t necessarily at the top of her list. My nurses today were absolutely amazing and made up for last night. My main nurse had bariatric Surgery herself a few hers ago so she was really understanding. I’m already back home- I was discharged less than 24 hours after the procedure which seems insane but Im feeling pretty good at the moment!

I truly believe the complications are the reason for the additional pain. I’ve been thru two open heart surgeries and this by far was the toughest. I’m feeling better today. Still working on forcing the nutrition….that’s a first for me!
Hi BB64, I had my bypass surgery a day before yours and my doctor removed my gall bladder at the same time. I also had some complications and had to stay in the hospital for 9 days. I hope you are doing ok? I am still adjusting to everything. Still glad and blessed I was able to have procedure.

I Hannah, so happy you are home and doing well.

I was begging the nurse to help set up my cpap machine that I brought with me since 6:30pm because I was struggling to breathe as I kept dozing off. She kept brushing me off saying the respiratory therapost would be in around 9pm.

BTW, they wouldn't let me use my own CPAP or take my own supplements and prescriptions. I think it's a liability issue.

Glad you smoothed things over with the Grinch RN.

Back