• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery scheduled for 11/02/22

Hi everyone! I just recently found this group and thought it would be a great idea to sign up. I'm scheduled for surgery on 11/2 and I'm very excited. I will be having the sleeve done. This isn't the first surgery I will be having so they are calling it a revision. I previously had a lap band - and did wonderfully with it (which is why I chose the sleeve) - but due to erosion I had to have it removed. I lost well over half my weight with the band but once I had it removed I went back to the previous habits I had and, well, here I am again. I had to go through a 6 month supervised weight loss program before my insurance would cover it so I'm glad that's over with.

The hardest part of all this for me is right now. It seems as if my mind is telling me "you know you're not going to be able to eat afterwards so you better enjoy it now". I'm struggling not to eat everything in sight. How did you all overcome this when you were waiting for your surgery?

Looking forward to getting to know you on this journey :)

That was a challenge for me as well. My surgeon said we would have to reevaluate though, if I gained more than 5# before my final appointment prior to surgery. So, needless to say, this kept me in check, even when I went on vacation 2 weeks before surgery. Good luck and congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Congratulations! That knowing you will be limited on eating is a hurdle. But know that you are still able to eat your favorite foods after healing.... just in significantly smaller amounts. That is what I had to remind myself. Those final few days before surgery were the hardest as I was on a liquid diet. But you can do this -- you did it before and you can do it again!

My surgeon also had a 5 lb rule. Not " reevaluate " either. If you gained 5lbs, surgery was cancelled and you had to start over or find another surgeon lol He's a hardass. My surgery was supposed too be March of 2020. Covid hit. The world shut down, hospitals are full of sick and dying people, I personally was out of work for the first time in my entire adult life AND my mother moved in with me. He was like .. Life happens, you can only stress eat til you gain 4lbs

My point is you can do it. Food will still be available after surgery.

Hi everyone! I just recently found this group and thought it would be a great idea to sign up. I'm scheduled for surgery on 11/2 and I'm very excited. I will be having the sleeve done. This isn't the first surgery I will be having so they are calling it a revision. I previously had a lap band - and did wonderfully with it (which is why I chose the sleeve) - but due to erosion I had to have it removed. I lost well over half my weight with the band but once I had it removed I went back to the previous habits I had and, well, here I am again. I had to go through a 6 month supervised weight loss program before my insurance would cover it so I'm glad that's over with.

The hardest part of all this for me is right now. It seems as if my mind is telling me "you know you're not going to be able to eat afterwards so you better enjoy it now". I'm struggling not to eat everything in sight. How did you all overcome this when you were waiting for your surgery?

Looking forward to getting to know you on this journey :)
You sound really prepared for this surgery, and it's common to have a case of "what ifs" & "oh nos" before WLS. You probably will be able to eat regular foods, with some exceptions, in a couple months after your surgery. Of course, eating smaller portions will be necessary. You will not want to continue eating the unhealthy foods that got you to this point. WLS gives you the ability to overcome those old head hunger cravings. You'll get through this, and soon you'll be joining us on the loser's bench. Good luck ❤❤

Back