• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Scheduled

IamWezi

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. My surgery is scheduled for 10/7. My husband had his surgery almost a year ago. He is down 80 pounds. He feels awesome! He recommended I join and check out the forums. I started this journey back in January when I attended the initial group meeting. Things were put on hold due to pandemic. I got the call today to schedule my consulation on Oct 1st and surgery is scheduled for the 7th. I figured my initial feeling would be excitement, but I have to admit, I’m really nervous about the surgery. I don’t like the idea of going near a hospital with “The Covid”, as I call it. I know they are taking all precautions though. Plus, I’m just plain scared. I’m not sure why. I know I need it, and it will be a game changer for me. I’ve struggled with my weight since 2nd grade, and I’m 53 now. I have a bad back and have had 2 back surgeries. I am so limited
to activities as my back is prone to go out (a couple of times a year), and I am scared to do anything. I do what has to be done around the house (laundry and dishes), but that’s about it. I am looking forward to being more active and enjoying life more. I would love to hear about your experiences, good & bad, if you’d care to share.

Welcome, Wenzi! My surgery is on 14 October and I'm nervous as well, but the thought of being able to walk without (or less) pain in my knees is a big motivator. I'm 55 and frankly I'm just not "done" yet and want to enjoy the years to come. So, my focus is movement: walking, dancing, hiking, etc, and I figure the surgery to allow this "life" won't be as half as bad as sitting on the sidelines with progressive knee pain.

You'll find a lot of good information and shared experiences here, but don't psych yourself out with others' complications--they are rare. Follow the surgeon's and dietician's instruction and you'll do well. And you have a built-in cheerleader!

Welcome, Wenzi! My surgery is on 14 October and I'm nervous as well, but the thought of being able to walk without (or less) pain in my knees is a big motivator. I'm 55 and frankly I'm just not "done" yet and want to enjoy the years to come. So, my focus is movement: walking, dancing, hiking, etc, and I figure the surgery to allow this "life" won't be as half as bad as sitting on the sidelines with progressive knee pain.

You'll find a lot of good information and shared experiences here, but don't psych yourself out with others' complications--they are rare. Follow the surgeon's and dietician's instruction and you'll do well. And you have a built-in cheerleader!
Thank you so much, Lisa Lisa! Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery. I hope you’ll get relief from knee pain and will enjoy life to the fullest!

Hi, Wenzi. Welcome. I had the bypass 3 months ago. I will admit, I was so excited .. right up until they gave me a date. Then I was like WHAT AM I DOING?!? Just scared of the pain, never eating cheesecake again (very specific, I know), gaining it back down the line, "The CoVid" as you call it. (They had JUST opened for elective surgeries the week before.) I haven't regretted it for a single second. I have a lot more energy and feel amazing. It really is a game changer and you are going to be so happy you went for it. Plus, you have Gzar with you to guide you. You guys can be active together, cook together, succeed together. It's going to be great for you. You'll see. Best of luck.

Hi, Wenzi. Welcome. I had the bypass 3 months ago. I will admit, I was so excited .. right up until they gave me a date. Then I was like WHAT AM I DOING?!? Just scared of the pain, never eating cheesecake again (very specific, I know), gaining it back down the line, "The CoVid" as you call it. (They had JUST opened for elective surgeries the week before.) I haven't regretted it for a single second. I have a lot more energy and feel amazing. It really is a game changer and you are going to be so happy you went for it. Plus, you have Gzar with you to guide you. You guys can be active together, cook together, succeed together. It's going to be great for you. You'll see. Best of luck.
Thank you! So happy for you. I guess panic just set in a bit when I got a date. Starting to get excited. Looking forward to all the positives that are ahead. Best wishes on your continued journey!

Welcome to this great journey, and welcome to the storyline so many of us follow with excitement, worry, wonder, confusion, elation, frustration, and more, BUT as you know the pay off can be wonderful and great!

Best of luck throughout the entire process. It looks like you'll have good support after surgery!

Good wishes for your upcoming surgery. I had also put it off due to the covid...my hernia had other ideas and pushed me forward to have the surgery. I went through so much fear prior to the procedure and sadness over not being able to eat the way I always have (it was pointed out to me that hasn't really been good for me to eat the way I have and it was time to do something different). After I woke from surgery, I just felt like what's done is done and I'm going to move forward with a new way of living. Also, the hospitals seem to really have the covid thing under control...I felt very safe.

Good wishes for your upcoming surgery. I had also put it off due to the covid...my hernia had other ideas and pushed me forward to have the surgery. I went through so much fear prior to the procedure and sadness over not being able to eat the way I always have (it was pointed out to me that hasn't really been good for me to eat the way I have and it was time to do something different). After I woke from surgery, I just felt like what's done is done and I'm going to move forward with a new way of living. Also, the hospitals seem to really have the covid thing under control...I felt very safe.
I got a little freaked out Monday when I got my surgery date. Even though it’s been postponed for months, when she called and gave me a surgery date only 2 weeks out, my immediate emotion was fear. I too was sad and afraid of not being able to eat what I want anymore. Plus, the Covid thing had me nervous. Thanks for letting me know you felt safe in the hospital. I’m sure they are taking all precautions. I am now excited. Started pre-op diet yesterday with no problems. I know what I must do, and I’m doing it. Wishing you all the best post-op!

GOOD LUCK! I was full steam ahead...I'm doing this until the Dr office called with my date...then it was like...whaaaaaat am I doing?!! Insurance didn't cover my surgery so it was a huge commitment. I was scared! My surgery was last Monday. Obviously, no surgery is a walk in the park but, I have to say, recovery hasn't been terrible. The only issue I had in the recovery room was a pain in my back. I kept complaining about it until a nurse finally sat me up. I had a good old belch and felt SO much better. Walking in the hospital helped me a great deal. Everything was sterilized and I never felt uncomfortable with the virus. They made me feel very safe and cleaned the room frequently. Wish you the best!

GOOD LUCK! I was full steam ahead...I'm doing this until the Dr office called with my date...then it was like...whaaaaaat am I doing?!! Insurance didn't cover my surgery so it was a huge commitment. I was scared! My surgery was last Monday. Obviously, no surgery is a walk in the park but, I have to say, recovery hasn't been terrible. The only issue I had in the recovery room was a pain in my back. I kept complaining about it until a nurse finally sat me up. I had a good old belch and felt SO much better. Walking in the hospital helped me a great deal. Everything was sterilized and I never felt uncomfortable with the virus. They made me feel very safe and cleaned the room frequently. Wish you the best!
Thank you so much for your reply. Glad you got that belch out:) I will keep that in mind. I’m more excited now than anything. I am ready! Best wishes to you on this life-changing journey.

I was very nervous & excited prior to my surgery, but all I thought of was the end result, it works so well for others, so why not me? My support is my husband whether heavy or thinner. But I'm not quite sure how it looks to others using surgery, but I have to think of my health & whats good for me.
Like U said, tired of sitting on the side lines for everything.

Some people think its the easy way out (surgery). But its not the easy way out at all. It takes hard work to make sure U get the right nutrition, vitamins ect. Its a lifetime commitment.

I was very nervous & excited prior to my surgery, but all I thought of was the end result, it works so well for others, so why not me? My support is my husband whether heavy or thinner. But I'm not quite sure how it looks to others using surgery, but I have to think of my health & whats good for me.
Like U said, tired of sitting on the side lines for every

Some people think its the easy way out (surgery). But its not the easy way out at all. It takes hard work to make sure U get the right nutrition, vitamins ect. Its a lifetime commitment.
I used to worry what people would think about having surgery for weight loss. I thought it would make me look bad that I couldn’t do it on my own. But after struggling, with my weight, for 40+ years, I know I can’t do it on my own. When my husband decided to have the surgery, I thought he was really brave. He took control and did what he needed to do to reclaim his health. We all have to do what’s best for ourselves. I can’t wait to look and feel better. I hope the surgery has been a blessing for you!

Back