• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Tomorrow

Hi! First timer. I’ve read so much on Bariatric surgery, but just found this thread. I’m having gastric bypass tomorrow morning and I’m pretty nervous. Will I be able to walk around soon after?
Hi Julia ! I just had gastric bypass surgery 6 days ago (November 25) the nurses will have you walking around the hospital as much as you like as soon as they think you can so you’ll heal faster I guess and not get any blood clots .when you get home try to walk when you can and sip water and protein all day so you don’t get hydrated.It might be hard cause you’ll be sore from the surgery but it’s what you gotta do to heal fast .These 6 days out of 3 were hard on me with pain and vomiting from drinking too much at a time I think but it’s gonna be worth it all when the weight stars coming off.Good luck tomorrow you’ll do fine! Keep us updated.

Hi Julia ! I just had gastric bypass surgery 6 days ago (November 25) the nurses will have you walking around the hospital as much as you like as soon as they think you can so you’ll heal faster I guess and not get any blood clots .when you get home try to walk when you can and sip water and protein all day so you don’t get hydrated.It might be hard cause you’ll be sore from the surgery but it’s what you gotta do to heal fast .These 6 days out of 3 were hard on me with pain and vomiting from drinking too much at a time I think but it’s gonna be worth it all when the weight stars coming off.Good luck tomorrow you’ll do fine! Keep us updated.
This really helps. Thank you so much for the support. I will post again when I can.

Bill said it right! For me, bypass, the minute the catheter was out those nurses said time to walk! I think it was a few hours after surgery. Hold onto your stomach when getting out of bed, some ppl hold a pillow to their stomach. It helps with the pain when transitioning positions. Have someone, a nurse or visitor go with u to walk. I was so sleepy and groggy I would have walked into walls if I'd been alone!

5 days post op! I’m feeling a lot better!
I woke in crazy pain and flailing about, but he medical staff was amazing. I only had to stay one night. I’m getting my energy back and finally feeling a bit more like myself but not quite. I would absolutely love to sleep in my stomach. Can I do that? Will it mess up the healing of the sutures?

I'm doing quite well, though last night my incision sites (2 out of 6 are tender) were bothering me. I've been able to get out and walk around and get to some stores, I'm meeting my liquids and protein goals. It's been much better than I thought it would be (knock on wood ). I haven't slept too well but I do doze off during the day some.
I hope you are progressing towards your goals.

5 days post op! I’m feeling a lot better!
I woke in crazy pain and flailing about, but he medical staff was amazing. I only had to stay one night. I’m getting my energy back and finally feeling a bit more like myself but not quite. I would absolutely love to sleep in my stomach. Can I do that? Will it mess up the healing of the sutures?
Congratulations!!! Glad you're home resting.

Hmm, I think as long as it's not uncomfortable, you'd be fine sleeping on your stomach. I don't recall being told I couldn't (although I'm a side-sleeper so didn't try). Does anyone out there recall being told not to sleep on your tummy?

Congratulations!!! Glad you're home resting.

Hmm, I think as long as it's not uncomfortable, you'd be fine sleeping on your stomach. I don't recall being told I couldn't (although I'm a side-sleeper so didn't try). Does anyone out there recall being told not to sleep on your tummy?
I was never told not to sleep on my stomach. So I tried the first week or so I couldn’t do it to uncomfortable. But it got better. I sleep on my side so of the time , but cat likes to sleep on my back so some nights it’s the stomach for me.

Back