• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery years ago

Welcome to the group Cindy! Congrats on your progress so far and for recognizing there is something that has changed since you are putting weight back on. Do you still track what you eat? Getting back into that basic habit can help make sure you are following the healthy eating habits you established in the beginning. Also, have you thought about trying to do a pouch reset? I know in the resources section on this site there is a post from the site administrator, Kevin, about it. You might need to start fresh, reset your stomach, and begin again. Knowing that you are going backwards down this path, what eating or exercise habits come to mind that you know need to change? Acknowledging them is the first step. Acting on it is next. If you have the willpower and courage to look at your situation honestly and make the necessary changes to get back on track, you should be able to lose some, if not all of that weight. Keep in mind, your body knows what the right weight for it is. If you only lost the 112 lbs and didn't go much further than that, either it was your body saying it loved where it was at or that your habits changed and it just couldn't make any more progress because of that. Please let us know how your progress goes with eliminating the regain. I'm sure you have lots of knowledge you can impart on a lot of topics that come up on this site.

Hi my name is Cindy, i was just told about this site. I had gastric bypass back in 2001, I lost 112lbs but have put back on 45lbs. My question is I really need to lose about 75lbs still before July does anybody know how I can accomplish this.
Hi Cindy - 5 Day Pouch Test - Surgery Pouch Diagnostic

Also, did you work with a nutritionist or dietitian when you had surgery? I know it's common now. If you did, maybe you could reach out to them again as well? Or even your regular doctor. Years ago when I was on yet another diet, my doctor suggested a monthly appointment with her just for accountability. And while I didn't keep this going long-term, doing it for a few months, did help me stick to my plan. I think that's one of the reasons I've done Weight Watchers so much in the past, the weekly weigh-ins kept me on track for a while. Good luck and please keep in touch. As a veteran, I'm sure you have a lot of valuable knowledge to share with the group.

I did not work with anybody, I think that is why I struggle so much. I told my Dr I wanted the surgery he said ok but I had to go To Illinois to have it done. I wasn’t taught anything before or after. No support group or nothing. I have in the last couple years gone to a weight management Dr and they just said I must be at the right weight, which I know I’m not because I still come up as obese. So I’m just lost as what to do, I feel like this surgery was a big waste and that I’m supposed to be fat and grumpy the rest of my life.

Hi where do I find this resource thing from Kevin?
click on the "Forums" tab & scroll down to "Life After..." and you'll see a heading for support groups, by state. But you might do even better in an internet search where you include the word "bariatric" with the name of your town, or the closest city to it.

The surgery is only a tool. It can only be a waste if you expected to eat the same way you did before you had it. Overeating is the reason you're gaining weight.

Keep a food journal, but before you do, check out sample post-op food plans. It's not about protein shakes; it's about relearning how you cook and eat. You're eating too much and you're probably eating the wrong things, although it is possible to eat everything after a year or so without gain, as long as you manage your portion size.

Be honest with yourself. Write down every little bite you take, or took yesterday. Look in your refrigerator & cookie jar & the dark hiding places in your cupboards. There's just no way you will achieve the goal you want unless you change. The pouch test is a good starting point, but I'd assume my pouch was just fine & look directly at my behavior. It takes years to stretch your stomach back to the size where you can become obese again. I'll bet you're grazing all day long.

You have a great opportunity to get back to where you want to be but this is the hard part. You have to stop your hand from putting something in your mouth.

Do see a nutritionist who specializes in post-bariatric surgery, if you can. Make a commitment to the journey. Then don't break your promise to yourself. Add exercise--serious exercise, like swimming or an hour on the treadmill--and your weight loss will accelerate. Set other goals, and plan to meet them monthly, or weekly, or daily. Then when you succeed or fail, analyze what happened and learn from your choices.

In my experience, planning to lose 50 pounds for a class reunion six months out, or for the family reunion this summer, or any event, is the way we end up failing. Only set goals that you can meet. Then meet them. For some of us, our potential for failure can be measured in minutes, so we really need to become self-aware.

I remember my dad coming into the living room when I was smoking years ago, saying something to me about it. I asked if he ever thought about cigarettes, which he had quit 25 years earlier. He said he still wanted a cigarette every day. I thought that was a hellish way to live, but a few years later, my eating disorder took over my life, and nothing made that compulsion any smaller.

My urges are manageable now, but I still have them. Fortunately, I cannot act on them because my pouch is still too small, and I'm not a grazer. Get a bunch of sugar free jello, flavored waters, low-cal but high roughage things like iceberg lettuce and celery and just go to town, eating and drinking all day. Allow a little bread or pasta but measure it, then write it all down. There are so many low-calorie, high-protein, vitamin/mineral packed foods, you might be surprised at how luxuriously you can eat.

But don't keep eating like you did yesterday. Don't set yourself up to fail with unrealistic goals. Change your life and watch what happens. We can't do it for you, even if we're supportive as hell. Only you can change you.

Welcome aboard & share your journey with us. We'll give you a lot of "attagirl" feedback to help you feel successful.

On Facebook there is also a group called Bariatric Keto Restart.
I think there is some one on one that you pay for and they also have a private group just for those who have paid to join.
www.bariatricketo.com
I know a lot of people don't want to do Keto because it can be hard on your kidneys but if you don't have any issues, it might be something to help you get back on the right track.
Best of luck.

Back