• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery yesterday

TAKE
FIBER
LAXATIVE!!!!!

i can't stress this enough. Take it before going in and once or twice a day post-op.

The first BM after all you did over the last several days, with no veggies to contribute to bowel operations, can be a KILLER. I wrote a long descriptive post two years ago about the nightmare of mine. You can search for it in the archives.

Sugeons should stress this in your pre-op papers. Maybe they do, now, but not back then.

It's the single most important advice I could give a newbie.

FIBER LAXATIVE!

Congratulations on making it to the other side! I wish I would have known to not worry about not pooping. It is important, but when you’re not taking in much, there isn’t much to go out. Focus on liquids, small sips to start, don’t worry about the scale in the beginning because there can be a lot of fluctuations, and rest as much as you can.

Congrats on your surgery! Glad to hear you're feeling and doing well. The thing I was most grateful for in my first weeks was my abdominal binder. It really made it not only easier to move but I felt like it helped with overall pain and gas pain, since it kept everything compressed. I was also grateful for the Izopure zero carb clear protein. You can get it in bottles or powder and it's 40g of protein for 20oz of liquid. I know many people just don't hit their protein goals those first few weeks or even worry about it. Which is fine, but I was determined to meet all my goals and never could have made it without the higher protein supplement. Get some rest and don't stress about the scale.

My
TAKE
FIBER
LAXATIVE!!!!!

i can't stress this enough. Take it before going in and once or twice a day post-op.

The first BM after all you did over the last several days, with no veggies to contribute to bowel operations, can be a KILLER. I wrote a long descriptive post two years ago about the nightmare of mine. You can search for it in the archives.

Sugeons should stress this in your pre-op papers. Maybe they do, now, but not back then.

It's the single most important advice I could give a newbie.

FIBER LAXATIVE!
In my pre-op class they said I'll get colace in the hospital & some to bring home. I asked if I could take Benefiber before & after, & they told me no. So I hope the colace works. I don't want to follow you in your epic post-surgery journey to "pass a pineapple" as the new commercial says!

Thank you everyone! Hmmm, lots poop stuff. It all makes perfect sense though. If you’re bowels aren’t happy it is pretty difficult to do just about anything.
I had some constipation during my pre op diet and found Miralax works well for me. I’ll definitely stick with it.

Just one caution: you can't take a chemical laxative safely for more than a few days. Read the label. As I said, I don't know what patients get in their packets today, compared to 14 years ago (virtually nothing!), but stool is created whether you consume liquids or solids. Everyone's digestive process is unique, but I can't comprehend why a doc would advise against a fiber lax. If you have any doubts, ask WHY. I stand behind my advice 100%. I lived through it and it was terrifying and dangerous.

People take fiber lax routinely, whether they plan to get surgery or not. Most of us don't eat a diet balanced enough to support a healthy bowel. So fiber is often a necessary supplement.

But ask. I'd love to hear the reason a doctor would say no fiber lax. That would be like saying no veggies, no roughage, no need for the digestive assist, with or without major replumbing.

Is it something that they recommend we wear after the surgery or just an option if we want to. I imagine it is more comfortable with a binder on.
I'm sorry if I'm asking so many questions. Is there a place I should be looking for things already answered?
Seriously, ask ALL the questions LOL thats why we’re here! To share our different experience. I did like my binder while I slept because it just made me feel more secure.

Seriously, ask ALL the questions LOL thats why we’re here! To share our different experience. I did like my binder while I slept because it just made me feel more secure.
Thank you so much. I know that sometimes when a new person joins some groups they ask a lot of questions but the regular members get upset.
I'm so happy that you are all so nice and helpful here. I appreciate all of the answers and advice. I'm reading as much on here as I can.

Back