• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery

Pixx

Well, I kind of went quiet on the group for the past week. Sorry about that. Sunday night at work I experienced quite a bit of pain and ended up in the ER. by 10 a.m. I was in surgery to remove my gall bladder. The first question the surgeon asked me was if I had lost a large amount of weight recently. To which I perked up and was very proud to say YES! 125lbs! She then asked how long it took me to lose the weight...I replied 8 months...she said "Yep, that would be the reason your gall bladder is full of stones." I told her I wasn't aware it was a side effect of WLS. She said it doesn't happen to everyone, so they don't have to list it as a possible side effect, but with massive amounts of weight loss, and new bacteria in the new belly still healing and processing protein and a new diet, the gall bladder and pancreas work a little overtime to re arrange things and sometimes it doesn't work out like it should, creating multiple stones. Apparently, the entire bottom half of my gall bladder was full of them. The surgery was a bit longer as well, because she had to clean out around the gall bladder as well. Fun times. So it's been a week of hobbling around, I can say it was more painful than bypass, OUCH! and they gave me a lot less pain meds! :( but I'm back on my feet and so excited to see new members here! I'm restricted in exercise but I'll get back to things in a few weeks. Still in 'takin it easy' mode for the moment!

I saw examples of that on my 600lb life when I was watching it the other day. I thought it was very interesting. I usually associate gall stones and associated pain to higher fat diets like Atkins but after thinking about it, I felt the denser protein diet complications totally made sense.

Well, life is so weird. I got a call Friday that I had a lasting infection from the surgery, and needed to take a 10 day antibiotic. I ended up having my first ever allergic reaction to a drug, so I spent the night in the ER. Ugh, now I am on two different antibiotics to help things along and I am just as sore now as the day out of surgery with back pain as well. Worst thing is, I haven't lost a single pound in 3 weeks. I know it is my body holding on to everything and fighting off the infection but it is still super frustrating when I have never stalled past 14 days. I was really, really liking the weight loss and working out. I am released to work out again today, so hopefully I can get things back on track! :eek:

Well, I kind of went quiet on the group for the past week. Sorry about that. Sunday night at work I experienced quite a bit of pain and ended up in the ER. by 10 a.m. I was in surgery to remove my gall bladder. The first question the surgeon asked me was if I had lost a large amount of weight recently. To which I perked up and was very proud to say YES! 125lbs! She then asked how long it took me to lose the weight...I replied 8 months...she said "Yep, that would be the reason your gall bladder is full of stones." I told her I wasn't aware it was a side effect of WLS. She said it doesn't happen to everyone, so they don't have to list it as a possible side effect, but with massive amounts of weight loss, and new bacteria in the new belly still healing and processing protein and a new diet, the gall bladder and pancreas work a little overtime to re arrange things and sometimes it doesn't work out like it should, creating multiple stones. Apparently, the entire bottom half of my gall bladder was full of them. The surgery was a bit longer as well, because she had to clean out around the gall bladder as well. Fun times. So it's been a week of hobbling around, I can say it was more painful than bypass, OUCH! and they gave me a lot less pain meds! :( but I'm back on my feet and so excited to see new members here! I'm restricted in exercise but I'll get back to things in a few weeks. Still in 'takin it easy' mode for the moment!
Thats weird cause my surgeon had me on a med tp prevent gallstones for three months out. Regardless of whether or not i could develop them. I like preventive methods just fine. Your story helps me appreciate things all the more. I was also on Nexium for heart burn. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I hope youre recovery is swift. No more problems.

So *whew* - antibiotics are done, pain is gone, I am finally past that hurdle! Best of all, I dropped 10 lbs. once my body adjusted back to normal and I regained my protein and water levels! So, back to the grind! :D Thanks for the wonderful support and encouragement! I really appreciate it!

So *whew* - antibiotics are done, pain is gone, I am finally past that hurdle! Best of all, I dropped 10 lbs. once my body adjusted back to normal and I regained my protein and water levels! So, back to the grind! :D Thanks for the wonderful support and encouragement! I really appreciate it!
Hooray! Glad things are going in the right direction again!

Back