• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sweet craving

Einingc

Hello new member and my first post. I had gastric sleeve surgery December 4, 2013. Prior to surgery I preferred meat and potatoes over sweets. However after surgery I would much rather have cake, cookie and candy. I am averaging between 50-60 grams protein a day. Within the last 2 weeks or so I have become fixated on sweets. I am diabetic but I have been maintaining my sugar levels well within acceptable levels since my surgery. I am sure this is all in my head any suggestions on what I can do to get this under control? Could this be a transfer of addiction?

Hello new member and my first post. I had gastric sleeve surgery December 4, 2013. Prior to surgery I preferred meat and potatoes over sweets. However after surgery I would much rather have cake, cookie and candy. I am averaging between 50-60 grams protein a day. Within the last 2 weeks or so I have become fixated on sweets. I am diabetic but I have been maintaining my sugar levels well within acceptable levels since my surgery. I am sure this is all in my head any suggestions on what I can do to get this under control? Could this be a transfer of addiction?

Oh my.

A few questions. I hope you are staying within your target calories per day; 1200 is mine and I believe 1200 is the target for most people post op. Lets see... you are now 2 months post op. You are on soft foods too.

I tell you what, a confession, if I want something sweet I have it. But, it is just a bite or two or one cookie and that is that. Again, I make sure I can afford the calories within my 1200 budget.

So, I basically don't deny myself. If you cannot just sample then don't go there. It would lead to the road of disaster.

Also, I find applesauce quite satisfying. The unsweetened version of applesauce. It might help with your craving. So , if you want something have some apple sauce say about 1/2 cup.

It is good that you are getting your protein in. Protein should sate your appetite. I am also happy to here your diabetes is well within the acceptable limits. This is why I did the gastric bypass. I got immediate resolution to my diabetes. It is there. It is not cured. It is controlled. My typical readings range from 90 to 110 now. Sometimes a little higher. Measure multiple times a day still to stay on track.

Again, I don't deny myself a taste of something I like including a sweet. They tell you never again, but quite frankly that is unrealistic for most of us.

Ralph

Oh my.

A few questions. I hope you are staying within your target calories per day; 1200 is mine and I believe 1200 is the target for most people post op. Lets see... you are now 2 months post op. You are on soft foods too.

I tell you what, a confession, if I want something sweet I have it. But, it is just a bite or two or one cookie and that is that. Again, I make sure I can afford the calories within my 1200 budget.

So, I basically don't deny myself. If you cannot just sample then don't go there. It would lead to the road of disaster.

Also, I find applesauce quite satisfying. The unsweetened version of applesauce. It might help with your craving. So , if you want something have some apple sauce say about 1/2 cup.

It is good that you are getting your protein in. Protein should sate your appetite. I am also happy to here your diabetes is well within the acceptable limits. This is why I did the gastric bypass. I got immediate resolution to my diabetes. It is there. It is not cured. It is controlled. My typical readings range from 90 to 110 now. Sometimes a little higher. Measure multiple times a day still to stay on track.

Again, I don't deny myself a taste of something I like including a sweet. They tell you never again, but quite frankly that is unrealistic for most of us.

Ralph

I agree with you Ralph. As a matter of fact, my surgeon's nutritionist told me that no food or desert was off the table, but just to have tiny amounts. I have always loved sweets but the funny thing is that since the surgery, I dont crave sweets at all. I have had a bite of something on occasion, but always after my protein and I'm not hungry, so a bite or two fills me up and it never tastes as good as I remembered. I do think it's better not to totally deny yourself, because then people build up in their mind that they can't go their whole life on this diet and when they mess up, and I think they are more likely to binge big time.

Cheyenne

So at just 2 months post op I would imagine you are only taking in about 600-800 calories. Are you eating any dense protein yet? Eat the protein first it should fill you, anything else is a craving. Try to increase your protein and the cravings should calm down. You probably won't be able to get it in with food, so do protein powder, shakes, yogurt what ever you like. You should level out when you are able to eat more real food. The refined carbs will do 2 things, make you foam or go down so easily you can eat more. I know this is all new and you are learning how to eat again. Stay on plan and the cravings will pass.

They have some wonderful Sugar free cookies that are made with Splenda and you can't tell they are sugar free or go to Bariatric Choice website and find something that has a lot of protein and enough sweetness to settle your craving.

Hello and welcome. My staff is harder concerning foods, mainly things we should never eat again. I crave sweets and I can hold down the South Beach whipped snack bars. I'm 2 years in and still at one step above liquids. If I eat them they cone right back uplike solids aand yes chewed to mash potato form. I was diabetic 2 weeks before surgery and all bloodwork has been perfect bow I have a potential for it. I also have a built in defense system that brings anything other than sugar free right back up. My stomach is small but try to get in some protein because it takes the craving away, so does sugar free pudding and sugar free popsicles. Keep up the excellent work on your diabetes. Woooo Hooo!! My Smiley's and likes no longer work but sending you bunches.

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass.Can anyone out there help me out please. and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70

Back