• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tacos

Bill S.

I didn't mean that to be directed at you, or anyone who isn't at least a year or more post-op. But imagining you'll never be able to eat a certain food again requires research. A corn tortilla is only 50 to 60 calories and contains 1.5 grams of protein. I wouldn't put it on my "don't eat." list. I was just adding information to the thread for everyone.

it's really important, though, that people think logically about calories and protein grams when they're post-op enough to eat solid foods. I have said many times that I eat anything I want. But there are things my stomach doesn't want me to eat, and the fact that I make almost no digestive enzymes is the reason why. There are foods that just don't go down, don't pass for hours, get stuck in my esophagus, and they do this every time. So they're on my no-no list.

My doctor never told me there would be foods I'd never eat again. My nutritionist followed up with me for months, and nothing was forbidden by her, either. Now people are posting here that they're never going to be able to eat xyz again & that their doctors are telling them that.

I'm 12 years out, thin, muscular and healthy (except for the horrible broken wrist & ruptured thumb tendon I had to treat surgically). The biggest threat to your post-op diet is not on a list of forbidden foods. It's in your head. I personally think it's counterproductive to tell people to have life-saving surgery in order to defeat disease, but not to tell people to spend at least as much time getting treatment for their eating disorders, because the irresistible compulsion is what's gonna kill you eventually, unless you find a way to get it under control.

I fully confess to having an eating disorder that manifested in my teens with anorexia (though we didn't have a name for it then, and my mom would not allow me not to eat, even if she had to sit on me & shovel food into my mouth for me), then moved into bulimia in my mid-20s. I don't have any symptoms of either disease anymore. I see my body realistically, I obey my body's hunger and thirst impulses, but I haven't engaged in any divergent behavior since I had RYGB surgery. I also had spent many years prior to that trying to treat my eating disorder and have been in therapy since 1975 with PTSD and several other psych disorders and behaviors. And I still see a mental health worker every two weeks because I still need help and support.

I think RYGB surgery did alter my digestive system in the way it often does, diminishing unhealthy craving signals from the part of the stomach that is no longer connected. And I learned so much about nutrition because it was required, and it has become second nature to me to go for the protein from the minute I get out of bed.

My stomach will not allow me to eat ice cream. I get very sick for hours if I take even one bite. It used to be a binge food for me. Now I can't even stand the smell of it, let alone the taste I used to have for it. I do have a "never again" list, but it was designed by my own digestive system. People should not be told they will never eat A or B again, because it's simply not true. But you can have dumping and other bad reactions to foods you used to love. You'll figure it out on your own.

I'll be right over there, next to the taco truck, if anyone wants me.;)

Thank you Diane.I knew I can eat almost anything later down the road and have to try everything.I have eaten a hamburger lettuce wrapped 4 or 5 times already today I had one and it didn’t sit well for me also had a taco without the shell yesterday and that didn’t sit well with me either even though I had one numerous times so maybe I’ll wait for awhile to try them again.Ive been sticking by the program mostly with protein first for instance eggs,cottage cheese,refried beans etc.

Ok but seriously my family and I love tacos. I’m already trying to work out how to indulge in the taste with less calories. I’ve got some ideas, but since my surgery is still a ways off, I’ll enjoy tacos for a while still
I have recently found a brand of chips that I can use: Off the Eaten Path. They have "hummus" chips made from chickpeas. I have used those to turn my taco into a taco salad :). I was also given the tip that if you add shredded cheese to a skillet and melt/burn it, once it is one big/thin blob, you can hang it over the end of a couple of wooden spoons and let it set. You now have a shell made from cheese. This is on my to-do list of things to try!

I have recently found a brand of chips that I can use: Off the Eaten Path. They have "hummus" chips made from chickpeas. I have used those to turn my taco into a taco salad :). I was also given the tip that if you add shredded cheese to a skillet and melt/burn it, once it is one big/thin blob, you can hang it over the end of a couple of wooden spoons and let it set. You now have a shell made from cheese. This is on my to-do list of things to try!
Hi. Could you tell me where you bought the hummus chips?

Back