• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Taking Current Medications after Surgery

I'm having bariatric bypass surgery. My nutritionist said I will have to take liquid forms of my current meds if available. Unfortunately, two of my meds are for depression and are time released. These pills can't be crushed and are not available in liquid form.

My physciatrist is placing me on a lower milligram of one of my meds and tells me not to take it after surgery for awhile. I have clinical depression and am fearful that I could fall into deep depression after surgery without taking my meds.

Has anyone been up against this problem after surgery and if so, how was your situation resolved?

I had a thyroid medicine that could not be crushed, or was available in liquid. My pill was very small, though. So I was allowed to take it immediately after surgery. I hope this information helps.

I'm having bariatric bypass surgery. My nutritionist said I will have to take liquid forms of my current meds if available. Unfortunately, two of my meds are for depression and are time released. These pills can't be crushed and are not available in liquid form.

My physciatrist is placing me on a lower milligram of one of my meds and tells me not to take it after surgery for awhile. I have clinical depression and am fearful that I could fall into deep depression after surgery without taking my meds.

Has anyone been up against this problem after surgery and if so, how was your situation resolved?

As far as being able to physically swallow your medication, my surgeon told me I could take my regular pills, including two huge Centrum Vitamins three weeks after surgery. He said it would not hurt my stomach. I choose to get chewable vitamins the first month after surgery but after the first bottle I went back to the regular pills as the chewable tasted funny to me. I think you should talk to your doctor who prescribed your depression pills, see if he thinks you can have your dose lowered safely.

WELCOME to the forum!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

are they available in non slow released formula. Mine were so I crush one pill 3x a day and take my meds for depression that way.

Talk to your surgeon, I had the same problem and I swallowed my pill in a teaspoon of applesauce twice a day. Applesauce also works a lot better then putting your crushed medications in jello like the nurses tried with me the day after surgery.

Back