• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tenative Surgery Date - Dec 9

lsales4363

The surgery scheduler was out today so not official, but I've cleared all the hurdles. Tentative date is Dec 9. I'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon. I have extra incentive to get it done before the end of they year. Our insurance changes on January 1 and it will cost more in January.

I think I have mentally prepared because I've taken care of Christmas shopping for my Granddaughter. I have my protein drinks and they taste pretty good. I took advantage of the weekend to try to them as breakfast since my hours get so out of wack on the weekend. I've let my HR department know. Some of the vitamins I take are getting ready to refill, so I will look for liquid or chewable replacements. Right now the only chewable one I have is Vitamin C. They said you can grind them up to take, but I don't know how that will taste. What kind of prep are you doing?

Right now I am taking women's Centrum Silver twice a day per my surgeons orders + 5000 Units of vitamin D, B-12 (cheery and under the tongue), and magnesium. I am supposed to be taking elemental iron / Fe which we are picking up at a local health food shop this week..
My darling hubby went out and ordered Centrum Liquid vitamins for my post-op needs. 2 bottles will cover the 2 weeks I am required to take the liquid.
Over the weekend we picked up about 3 months of protein powder to have on hand, (GNC) has an awesome sale going on through the new year + we had a coupon so it was great.
Tonight we went and stocked up on broth, sugar free gelatin mixes, more yogurt, & dial soap to use for the 2 weeks prior to surgery. I'll be in the hospital over Thanksgiving, my husband will be staying with me through out the whole hospitalization.
Christmas, this year everyone is receiving gift cards, custom scrapbook pages or home canned jellies.
Now I am in planning stage for out pets. They will stay home I just to see if someone in the family or a good friend will keep an eye on them. I am afraid my Pug/Boston Terrie mix and our Pug will be lonely without us. I am a stay at homer so they are used to having the human mommy home all day..
It will all work out, :) .

Have to ask about the Dial soap. That's the first time I've seen mention of soap. Were you given special instructions on soap? I have my son and his girlfriend planning to stay over the first few days. Good news, they only live about 4 miles away and the hospital is less than a mile from their house (5 from me). I need to get my binder back out and study up again. I have been so focused on getting to the goal weight, I haven't thought too much about those 2 weeks pre-op. I did work with my PCP to wean me off my anxiety medication - can't go cold turkey. No pets here. I do have to prepare my co-workers for my absence.

My prep pack came with instructions to wash daily for 2 weeks prior to surgery with Dial soap.. I suppose the Dial soap is to help cut the potential risk of surgical incision infection.
I'll call and ask today.. I am glad to hear you have your son and his significant other there to help you out, that is a blessing
Our hospital is about 25 miles from our house. I have asked my family not to visit me. My mother is 80+ and having some major behavioral issues and I do not want to run the risk of her having a nasty attack at the hospital, she is not selective in who she targets these days. It would not be pretty if she were to have a Southern Mean Old Lady attack at the hospital...
My surgeon, therapist and PCP wants me to stay on my anti-anxieties before, during and for a while after surgery due to all of the major changes associated with Bariatric surgery and ALL the rapid changes. Not to mention all of the changes in eating habits and behaviors.
My son and his fiancée will stop by every other day after the first week. My husband is employed by the hospital network where my surgery is being performed. I am fortunate that he can take a week off to be home with me in the very beginning.. LOL Hopefully he wont drive me bonkers and I mean this in a good way. He is very over protective of me, <3.

I have never hear of the Dial either but I will be going to my pre-op visit on the 19th. I will be getting protein shakes this weekend for my pre-op diet.

Confirmed surgery Date - Dec 9

I bought some Centrum Chewables and they weren't bad. I have taken care of pre-registration. And I finally decided to tell my Mom and Dad. I was anticipating a negative reaction, but surprisingly my mom had two positive and only one negative comment (I think that is a record for us). I am glad I told them though. The interesting thing about the 2 week pre-op will be that our company Christmas party is only two days before my surgery. I am on our social committee so I really want to be there (I am in charge of decorations). I already had one co-worker who knows he can get my drink ticket every year. Now I have to find someone for my meal ;).

December 9, 2013

Date is set and now, I am beginning to get nervous. The preparations are bit more than I had actually thought about. I am having issues with the fact that my pre-surgery shake diet starts 3 days before Thanksgiving and my post-op covers Christmas dinner. How is everyone else dealing with that?

Yay congrats!!! Yes my pre-op full liquid only solids will be my chewable vitamin diet starts the day before Thanksgiving and stretches to the day after Christmas. Most people think I am CRAZYYYY but I would prefer to start 2014 with a new slate in more ways than one. My family is doing Thanksgiving dinner the weekend before which is nice that I wont have to be there and smell everything and salivating but sipping my protein shake lol.

I am 6 days and a wake away from my surgery.
I am so psyched that I am reclaiming my life and my health that I am not the least bit worried or upset missing thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, treats and such.

This will be your life for a while and it is a serious commitment

I had a phase 1 diet then started my phase II diet on 11/12/13.
My phase II, which I am currently on is 4 protein shakes a day, 3 dairies, 1 green salad between lunch and dinner + unlimited sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, crystal light and broth.
It is not as bad as it seems. This is making you take a cold hard look at how you view food and it is scary when you have that food addiction epiphany. I know, I had it last week.

You will do fine... Take a deep breath and move forward.

Date is set and now, I am beginning to get nervous. The preparations are bit more than I had actually thought about. I am having issues with the fact that my pre-surgery shake diet starts 3 days before Thanksgiving and my post-op covers Christmas dinner. How is everyone else dealing with that?
I've gone to a couple of parties and actually had fun without food. It can be done!

The sugery is much more exciting than a couple holiday dinners. You will have many Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners ahead of you after you have learned how to eat in moderation so the food will not stretch your new size tummy. I would not cook for the rest of the family though.. thats just too much to ask of you, in my opinion. Maybe you could ask a family member to cook it or visit family for the holiday meals. Just take your meals with you if you go out. Remember that this is the start of your new life!!! :)

Good luck to all of you scheduled for surgery. It will go quickly and recovery will be OK. Use pain meds as needed. Don't suffer no need to. The pain for me went away by the end of the first week. But I did use percocets to stay comfortable. Again, after the first week I didn't need pain meds anymore. Yes, the belly area is still sore, but less sore each day even as it heals.

My procedure date is December 9th, not sure of the time yet will know at my pre-op appt. I live 3 hours away from the hospital ( yes I live in the sticks of Oklahoma). I have been preparing my cupboards for the pre and post op diet. Thankful my hubby will be staying at the hospital with me. Our kids are old enough to take care of themselves while we're away and my mothernlaw is close to check on them or in case of emergency. As far as work my aide is awesome and will take excellent care of things til I get back in January. Not sure of how my parents feel but it must a good thing, their helping me to pay my co-payment. I'm ready to take this on and accept the good with the bad and take it one day at a time.

Best wishes on your procedure and keep us updated as to how your doing !!!

Back