• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Terrible day yesterday; dumping syndrome

dancinbr

Well today I am 8 weeks post op and doing pretty well.

However, yesterday was a nightmare. I went out for a late afternoon ride with my wife to a nice place for a small bite to eat.

I ordered a plain grilled chicken cutlet on a roll. I took my 1/2 sandwich, removed the lettuce and tomato and added some mayo.

The may turned out to be a major mistake. I have used it in tuna salad before, but not like this and out at a restaurant. I know we are supposed to stay away from fats.

Well, my stomach erupted! While at the restaurant it all came back up.

I went home. I rested. I stuck to liquids only. However, things were going terrible for the rest of the day and well into the evening all the way up to 3am before things finally calmed down. I vomited clear liquid, bile three more times. It finally settled down.

I will call doctor today to go over this.

I am going back to clear liquids very slowly in small sips to see how it goes. I want to give it time to settle down. The stomach clearly is irritated at this point.

Ralph

Well today I am 8 weeks post op and doing pretty well.

However, yesterday was a nightmare. I went out for a late afternoon ride with my wife to a nice place for a small bite to eat.

I ordered a plain grilled chicken cutlet on a roll. I took my 1/2 sandwich, removed the lettuce and tomato and added some mayo.

The may turned out to be a major mistake. I have used it in tuna salad before, but not like this and out at a restaurant. I know we are supposed to stay away from fats.

Well, my stomach erupted! While at the restaurant it all came back up.

I went home. I rested. I stuck to liquids only. However, things were going terrible for the rest of the day and well into the evening all the way up to 3am before things finally calmed down. I vomited clear liquid, bile three more times. It finally settled down.

I will call doctor today to go over this.

I am going back to clear liquids very slowly in small sips to see how it goes. I want to give it time to settle down. The stomach clearly is irritated at this point.

Ralph

Could it possibly be the bread roll that has caused the problem? Bread, rolls and buns would make me throw up everytime I tried to eat them for my first 4 months. Just a couple bites and I was gagging and up my food would come. It's not like I ate the whole bun or anything. I could take my chicken, lettuce and tomato off the bun and eat it and all was well. Have you been eating much bread before this dinner or is this something new?

Ralph...

I do hope your feeling much better today....

I am so sorry your belly dumped on you.

I have experienced dumping 1 time, from a fat free salad dressing that was using sugar for flavor enhancement. I'd rather have been kicked in the shins with steel toe boots.

I have found that some commercial mayo's are loaded with so many different types of sugars such as dextrose and high fructose corn syrups just to name a couple. That may have been the demon for you...

Have you tried using the Olive Oil mayo's?

I have had good luck with them so far. I even make salad dressings using the OO mayo, herbs, vinegar, garlic and such..

I know after my stomach bug I was phased daily as tolerated from clear liquids, to shakes to puree foods, to soft foods and then back to my regular diet

Well thank goodness I am feeling so much better today. I stayed on liquid intake for about 18 hours. Then I had my old reliable soft boiled egg. I was fine.

I am noticing something that is different now. I hate to say anything at this point so I will wait.

Since the dump, I seem to be belching a whole lot less ?????

Hmmm

Let me see if this is still true over the next few days.

Ralph

LOL, My boys thought it was a total riot that I could put them to shame in the burp department after surgery.

The burping seems to have settled down. I am finding some foods just give me gas period. Doesn't matter to much to me now. I am healthier and I know my belly is working, LOL.

Back