• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Terrified of the pain!!

So besides being scared of the pain (I'm a total wimp) there's the awful constipation that comes from the pain meds. And the horrible nausea I keep reading about not to mention possible vomiting when eating the wrong things. Ugh! Is it all worth it? I would love to make some friends on here I don't have any or any support.. Thanks!!

Couple points:
  1. Directly after surgery when you may need the pain meds most, you have eaten very little and will be having only liquids for a while so there is very little need to poop anyway. Also they have things to help you with that if you do struggle.
  2. The first 24 hours are rough but it is for the rest of your life to be better, so focus on the future then and not on the now!
  3. I have vomited twice, once because i had too much protein shake and the other time i had too much water, it wasn't the same as sickness nausea, it was over as soon as the bit too much came out and then i felt fine. It takes a little bit to be able to visualize how much your new tiny stomach can handle. I had the Gastric Sleeve procedure, so the side effects tend to be less severe in some cases than the bypass so it depends on what you are having. Also don't try new foods away from home, lol
  4. No support is a tough route to be sure, but you may find a new community of people to connect to through this that have like-minded goals.

So besides being scared of the pain (I'm a total wimp) there's the awful constipation that comes from the pain meds. And the horrible nausea I keep reading about not to mention possible vomiting when eating the wrong things. Ugh! Is it all worth it? I would love to make some friends on here I don't have any or any support.. Thanks!!

This is a great site to make friends who have gone through or are currently going through the same thing. That is why we are all here! I haven't had my surgery yet, but I think I have been helped by the fact that I have had several surgeries before so I know what type of typical pain to expect from it. Try not to worry about what hasn't happened yet. I know it is hard but focus more on the positive side of things. Make a list of the little things you are looking forward to on the journey. We refer to them as non-scale victories. It could be fitting into a booth when you go out to eat, eliminating obese related health conditions like diabetes, or being able to walk into any store and not have to worry that they don't have you size. Think about the wishes you have had over the years that you have kept to yourself and not said out loud. Focus on that and your path will naturally lead you there. Of course there will be bumps as you get there, but they are a part of the journey and make the goals totally worth it. Good luck!!! Keep us updated as you move through your process :)

I had RNY 4 1/2 weeks ago. I have had zero nausea and I have not thrown up. One day I think I ate some chicken to fast and did not chew it well enough. I did not throw up but I had a pain in my chest like the food was stuck so I drank some water and just walked around trying to get it to move along.
I took Miralax everyday for the first 30 days and now I am taking every other day just to be sure I do not get constipated. It has no flavor so its not an issue taking it.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Keep a positive attitude and I think all will go well for you.

Welcome to our group Jennifer.

I had RNY 6 months ago and my pain was minimal. The first 24 hours in the hospital, I just took pain meds as often as allowed so that kept it manageable. After that, I was just sore for a few days, not bad at all.

Your doctor will likely allow you to take something for constipation post-op if you mention it has been a problem for you in the past.

I never experienced any nausea either, none. :)

As the other ladies have said, try not to dwell on things that may never happen in your case. If you have issues, you'll have to deal with them at that time. No point in working yourself up about the "what ifs". :)

Make a list of the little things you are looking forward to on the journey. We refer to them as non-scale victories. It could be fitting into a booth when you go out to eat, eliminating obese related health conditions like diabetes, or being able to walk into any store and not have to worry that they don't have you size.
Great idea Miss! I know walking into any store was a big one on my list.

Hi Jennifer 47! I have taken this WONDERFUL drug called Zofran that you can take for nausea. It works wonders and it desolves under your tongue. As your doc for it. Best of luck to you. Haven't had my surgery yet. October 15 is the date. Can't wait!

Hi Jennifer, and welcome. I am two and a half weeks post op, gastric sleeve. I had very high anxiety before surgery, about everything including the pain. I was in the hospital for two nights after surgery. During that time, I was given pain medication via IV as well as an oral as needed. I asked for the oral pain meds as often as I could, just so I wouldn't be in pain. I continued pain meds for five days after discharge. At the end, I only had discomfort, and that was only at night when I was settling down in bed. I had constipation for two or three days and used Dulcolax after calling the surgeon's office for a recommendation. Been fine since. I learned very quickly to eat a few bites and shove the plate away before I feel full.

I live alone and had a limited support system, mainly because I was too embarrassed to tell anyone I was having this surgery. I have since opened up about it to the people in my life and have a lot of local support now. I spent a lot of time here asking a few questions and reading as many post as possible. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have hesitated doing the surgery. I am down 56 pounds since starting my pre op diet on August 12th.

Please take time to read posts. And post your questions, concerns, or other thoughts as often as you can. This is a great group of people with a lot of support for others going through this.

You can do this! :) Is it worth it? YES!

Hi Jennifer, and welcome. I am two and a half weeks post op, gastric sleeve. I had very high anxiety before surgery, about everything including the pain. I was in the hospital for two nights after surgery. During that time, I was given pain medication via IV as well as an oral as needed. I asked for the oral pain meds as often as I could, just so I wouldn't be in pain. I continued pain meds for five days after discharge. At the end, I only had discomfort, and that was only at night when I was settling down in bed. I had constipation for two or three days and used Dulcolax after calling the surgeon's office for a recommendation. Been fine since. I learned very quickly to eat a few bites and shove the plate away before I feel full.

I live alone and had a limited support system, mainly because I was too embarrassed to tell anyone I was having this surgery. I have since opened up about it to the people in my life and have a lot of local support now. I spent a lot of time here asking a few questions and reading as many post as possible. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have hesitated doing the surgery. I am down 56 pounds since starting my pre op diet on August 12th.

Please take time to read posts. And post your questions, concerns, or other thoughts as often as you can. This is a great group of people with a lot of support for others going through this.
Great advice and congrats on 56 pounds, awesome job!

Back