• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

terrified

My entire family of origin is surrounded by fires in Central Washington on every side. I just texted with my sister and she said it's just as bad as the news is portraying it. Homes are being leveled because they cannot get the fire out fast enough.

I remember one big fire years ago where smoke was literally pouring down my chimney into my living room.

I know helicopters can dip nets into the Columbia River and then drop that water on the fire margins. But they don't seem to be doing that and I don't know why this is not being contained. There are other people in this group who also live in that area or have relatives there. I just want to encourage everyone to use your metaphysical Mind Over Matter, Christian prayer, visualization or whatever it is that you do to beg for safety for these people. If you've never been to that part of central Washington you just have no idea how beautiful it is. You cross the little Bridge into Wenatchee and look down and it is like looking down on the land of Hobbits. And we have always been really lucky over there at least for the last hundred years. But if this fire can't be contained it could wipe out tens of thousands of people and homes and there's nothing the fire brigade could do to stop that. Thoughts, prayers, meditations, anything. Just please focus on the wildfires in Washington State because this is the worst thing that has happened since prehistoric times.

These fires scare me and I'm clear across the country. I just can't imagine. Multiple prayers being sent. Every day the weather keeps getting worse and worse and the effect on our world is heartbreaking.

All day long i keep hearing "10% contained." That means it's 90% out ofcontrol.

Here's a letter I just sent to all the cousins:

"In case you didnt get the big picture on the local news, the Wenatchee Valleys are involved in deadly fires with gusty winds. They are in populated neighborhoods. Buildings and homes have been razed or damaged. The culture of the confluence and sights on 97 and 28 are in peril.

If not contined they could travel to Rocky Reach, dad's creation, all the cherry, peach and apple orchards. People could be destroyed.

I say this out of concern for my brother and sisters. There hasn't been a larger fire there in my lifetime. Where fire isn't eating everything, people are choking on smoke.

Please send us reports from the front. The rest of you, there are opportunities to help, but stay out of the area. We can raise needed funds, send love and prayers, offer helicopters and planes if we have them.

Sherry, Linda, David, Vicki, Vi, Deb, please respond. We send love and support.

Last edited:
It's tragic. Given what happened last Labor Day in our area, we have taken more steps to prepare to evacuate. It would not surprise me to see something come through our area, but we are hoping it doesn't, of course. Our property is fairly "wet" in that we have a lot of natural springs and creek around most of us, but things are still quite dry.

There was a fire a few miles away and some evaluations, which they were able to get under control, but we are spending this weekend making sure we have everything in order if the call to leave comes. We've also been paying a lot of attention to creating a good and green buffer zone around our home, which is in better shape than last year.

I hope everyone's family/friends in dangerous areas remain safe through this.

Amen to that. Hope everyone makes it thru these fires safely. God bless & take care ❤
Thank you all. One of my sisters set this today:
"So far, I've only heard of one home being lost. 1100 evacuations and 7000 acres so far, we've learned that it is 10% contained. Orchards and homes have had irrigation systems going. This fire was apparently the result of a careless person burning trash or something - just stupid, and also prohibited here. Firefighters are on the ground and in the air (planes, helicopters), drawing water from the Columbia River.

'Together Wenatchee' FB group has shown some of the many ways the community is stepping up to help."

And a cousin in Colorado wrote to say it's happening there, too.

10% contained is like using a geisha fan to cool off an atom bomb.

I guess the FB group is a small step but this is a crisis that must be stemmed.

I am at a loss on anything to say. I know people are losing everything. It is sad to hear and see in the news. My thoughts are with those who are enduring this chaos and May they find a place to be safe. And May all the loved ones be able to connect with each other.

It's a horrible devastating situation. I can't even imagine having to deal with something like this. My heart goes out to everyone involved, their loved ones, and even the people who are just hearing about it and worrying.

Diane, in the short time that I've been a part of this group, my sense is that you are like a warm comforting hug to anyone who needs it. Let us all be that for you now.

Aww, Diane. I'm sorry you're so worried for your family. And you have to be angry that people are so careless with planet and the lives of others. But try to keep the faith. The vast majority of wild fire areas have excellent evacuation plans in place and get residents to safety with no issues. It was 10% contained the other day, now it's 51%. That's a lot of improvement. The best thing you can do for your family, and yourself, is to try to stay positive. If you have yourself so worked up that you're stating you want to die, it's time to take a step back. Go take a walk, take a break from the news, do something enjoyable. If you literally cannot step away from it, try moving your thoughts and actions into a more positive mode, Can you lodge any of your family members if they get evacuated? Get the room(s) ready and organized. If you can't, look for lodging, camp grounds etc where they might be able to stay in case of emergency. Look around your house and collect extra blankets, clothes, etc that might be helpful to any who are displaced. Focusing on your fear is very obviously having a negative effect on your mental wellbeing. You have to find some way to focus your fear that does not involve wishing to die.

Aww, Diane. I'm sorry you're so worried for your family. And you have to be angry that people are so careless with planet and the lives of others. But try to keep the faith. The vast majority of wild fire areas have excellent evacuation plans in place and get residents to safety with no issues. It was 10% contained the other day, now it's 51%. That's a lot of improvement. The best thing you can do for your family, and yourself, is to try to stay positive. If you have yourself so worked up that you're stating you want to die, it's time to take a step back. Go take a walk, take a break from the news, do something enjoyable. If you literally cannot step away from it, try moving your thoughts and actions into a more positive mode, Can you lodge any of your family members if they get evacuated? Get the room(s) ready and organized. If you can't, look for lodging, camp grounds etc where they might be able to stay in case of emergency. Look around your house and collect extra blankets, clothes, etc that might be helpful to any who are displaced. Focusing on your fear is very obviously having a negative effect on your mental wellbeing. You have to find some way to focus your fear that does not involve wishing to die.
Missy you are such a kind human being! You should have been a counselor.

Back