• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

testing

I just got the final tests done - EGD, Heart and A1C.
As for the diet, each sugery is different, but most require a 2 week pre-surgery liquid diet and at least 1 week post. After that you move to soft foods (no heavy meats) and make sure to get your Protein in FIRST, for about 3 or 4 weeks post. Then they move you to foods more solid foods. The main thing is don't drink when you are eating, take you time with your meals, and exercise as much as you can.
Most doctors have a dietician who will go over the requirements and the diet with you.
Also, I would give up all carbonated beverages now before your surgery, the caffeine withdrawal headaches are easier to handle on the "pre" side of surgery rather then the "post".

Last edited:
thank you

I had the lap band surgery before but had to have it removed because of slippage, so now I am doing the bypass. know about the diet, but am just wondering about the weight loss, some say its so quick, you look sickly. since you are just getting underway and I am about a month or two off surgery would be interested to know how you progress since you will be going thru everything ahead of me. good luck keep in touch as you progress. my goal is to lose 90-100 lbs. thanks for answering

I have dropped 14 pounds since July 31st, but I haven't had surgery yet.
I just cut out soda and most sweets, still have the occasional sweet but try to make it with sugar free jello.
I need to lose 179 to get to the "ideal" weight for my height and age, but I would be happy to drop the 135 they said I could in the first year.
Right now I am just waiting for the insurance to give final approval, then I will have an education day. I went to my first support group meeting last Wednesday and it was eye opening. There were alot of people there and they look good, and some have lost over 100 lbs.
I will keep you posted on what they say once I get a surgery date.

got your reply

glad to hear about your weight loss before your surgery. I am in limbo now have to wait til sept. 12 for my final testing and then will await my insurance approval, hopefully looking for a oct. surgery date. you are ahead of me, and hope to follow in your footsteps, hopefully post both our surgeries we can support each other. let me know when your surgery is schedule and I will do likewise.

again thanks for the updates

I start my liquid diet on 9/9/13 and have my class on 9/11/13 for pre op. This is the last week I will be eating red meat in a long time, but I am not really going to miss it that much. My main concern right now is getting the 60g of Protein in daily. Most of the shakes I have are sweet, so I am afraid I will get sick of them fast. Need some alternatives to use that are savory, pre surgery I was thinking about tomato soup with shredded cheese (like 8g of protein to 2g carbs). Not sure if that is going to be ok, will talk to dietician

liquid or full liquid?

if you pre surgery diet is clear liquid, tomatoe soup and cheese wont do. if it is full liquid then tomato soup will be ok, but I don't think the cheese will do. let me know whether it is clear liquids or full liquids. clear liq. is clear chicken broth, beef broth they also have tomatoe bullion clear broth and jello etc. full liquids are your creamy soups like tomatoe, but no substantial protein from them. are they using protein shakes on the pre surgery diet. very hard to get protein on a clear liquid diet and shakes aren't a clear liquid. interested to know what they are doing. the booklet I have for my surgery is a 2-day liquid diet prior to surgery, no solid foods at all. with the surgery with only a 2 day, you don't need to worry about getting protein in for two days, impossible to do because protein shakes aren't clear. sound to me if you have to do this for 2 weeks you are probably on a full liquid diet, possible til 2 days before surgery when they will make you go clear liquids. will hear from you. I pretty much know what the clear liquid, full liquid, puree, soft, and regular diets consist of so if you need any advice on what you can eat I can help. by the way what state are you having your surgery in? I am in Georgia.
hear from you soon

will finish my testing by end of next week.

I was hoping since the cheese melts it would be ok, but I will ask the dietician before I try. I will be on full liquid for a full 2 weeks - not just 2 days. I know I can't puree a hamburger, but soups should be ok (just have to get my protein in daily). Since I plan on mixing my Muscle Milk Light powder with Skim Milk instead of water, I will be getting extra protein there. I can't have any solid foods once I start the pre-surgery diet, but I ordered some protein jello and pudding from http://www.bariatricchoice.com/ as well as some liquid vitamins for after surgery, until I can do the chewables.

ok
full liquids consists of creamy low fat soups thinned no chunks, non fat sugar free greek yogurt for protein is good, skim milk, lactose free fat free milk good to make sugar free pudding with, v8 juices low sodium, they have protein shakes with 2 scoops equal to 60 grams of protein, and you can do all clear liquids on this diet also and previous told you about. greek Yoplait yogurt has 11 grams of protein per container, chobani 6 oz size has 14 grams. if you google full liquid diets I am sure you can get more ideas. good luck, keep me informed.
linda

Linda,
Have you started your liquid diet yet? If not, I built in a cheat day, by starting a day early. It let me feel how hungry I would get and actually today isn't that bad hunger pains wise. Let me know how you are doing. My class is tomorrow and I meet with the dietician again.

your story is the same as mine, i had the lap band over 11/2 yrs ago, and only loss about 33 lbs, so i having the by-pass surgery on 10/15/13. hoping to lose about a 100 pounds.and i hope for better wt. loss this time. I dont mine exerising in the pool daily. it the liq diet we have to get throw. thanks for asking i'll be looking for to your answers

no I haven't started my diet yet, did my cardio,pulmonary, and sleep study clearances yesterday. have to go back tonight for an overnight sleep study, they say I have sleep apnea. see the nutrionist tomorrow afternoon, stress test next Tuesday and that should complete my testing. going away for 11 days and by time I get back I should hear something about my surgery date. you are probably one month ahead of me, so keep me posted as to your progress so I can follow along. regarding startin a day early, don't use your cheat date on the last day before surgery, I point is to rest your liver and pancreas from working hard and keep them being in the way for surgery. good luck keep me posted. I think my surgery should be in October sometime if all goes well. I didn't know I had sleep apnea, might have to sleep with a cpap machine at night but say that will go away when I lose some weight, sure hope so.

keep in touch
linda

just completed my cardio, pulmonary and sleep study, need to go back tonight they say I have sleep apnea and might need a nighttime machine, stress test on Monday and that should do it for testing til the doc reviews everything and schedules me for my egd. wed going away for 11 days so should hear something by the time I come back home, hoping for an October surgery date. that cheat day you talked about don't use it at the end of your diet because the point of the liquids is to let your liver and pancreas rest and eating food close to surgery just wont do it. hang in there and keep me informed you are about a month ahead of me so I will be following in your footsteps. good luck and take care

linda

I used my cheat day the very first day, and it helped me get my body primed for rest of the time. (2 days down, 12 to go)
I found some protein jello's on Bariatric Advantage website and they have 15g protein - NO CARBS. The Cherry is really good too for being sugar free. I found out it's ok to mix the Muscle Milk Light with skim milk for added protein, but they still want me to get used to 5 shakes a day. I will keep up my log.

good to know

thanks for the jello protein/ I didn't know you can get jello with protein, need the protein for the liquid diet that I will be on hopefully soon. where did you find protein jello. I just came back from my overnight sleep study, this afternoon I see the nutrionist, Monday the stress test and that your be it til they get approval from insurance and schedule an egd. you hang in there keep doing what you are doing, no cheating you will feel happiness you haven't felt in a long time, I know because when I had the lap band and got to my goal weight it was three of the best years of my life, cant wait til I get there again. keep your chin up I am relying on you to show me the way again.

linda

I had total success with the lap band, got to my goal weight and the happiest 3 years of my life, til it slipped and had to be removed. that was four years ago, cant wait to be there again, good luck with your surgery, keep your chin up, haven't got my surgery date yet, next week I should have all my clearances in then we'll see. will be watching you and following in your footsteps so lead the way.

linda

nutrionist

went to see my nutrionist today and she said I would also have to do a 2 week liquid diet before my surgery, so the protein jello sounds good. thanks for the info. did my overnight sleep study last night. its looking like I have sleep apnea, will find out Monday when I see the doc for my results. did you have sleep apnea and do you have to wear a c-pap at night for breathing, I might have to. this is new to me so if you do, let me know some info. keep on going with that liquid diet til I get there.

linda

Ok, I will admit at this point I am seriously sick of protein shakes, and am ready just to drink water for the rest of the time if needed. I made some sugar-free jello to break the pattern and it helps a bit, but I had a glass of skim milk for breakfast this morning because I couldn't face a protein shake. I am saving my protein jellos and puddings for after since it will be harder to get it in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back