• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Thanks For Having Me...

Rex1965

Fifty-something black male, sleeve gastrectomy in January 2016. Initial weight 330 lbs. Got down to 257, but now hovering around 270-280. I am an emotional eater and I am dealing with a lot, mother is currently in a nursing home with dementia. My brother and I are not speaking and I am also a disabled vet with PTSD and depression. I get easily triggered and I eat. I gave up smoking and alcohol in 2006 and 2009. I am trying to get back on track, but it's really difficult. I was spinning my wheels with my nutritionist. Feeling helpless and afraid. Feedback is appreciated.

Welcome to the group Rex. Wow, sounds like you have a lot going on. You are doing great in reaching out for help and advice. When you reach out for something to eat, do you have a certain type of food you turn to (carbs, sweets, chips, etc...) or do you just go for what is easiest? The amounts you are eating, are they still within the 8 oz per meal range or have you been taking in more than that at a time? When you say you were spinning your wheels with the nutritionist, how did they not help? Were you looking for recipes or specific foods you should/shouldn't eat? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to get a clear picture of what is going on and how we might be able to help with some advice. Also, between the PTSD, depression, and WLS, do you see a therapist/counselor/psychologist at all?

Rex, welcome. I'm 68, disabled, and suffer from PTSD, insomnia, sleepwalking and bipolar disorder. I'm recovering from a life of physical and sexual abuse, including rape. I've been the victim of domestic violence. I cut off completely from my family after my mom died. I'm one of 8 children and two of them have already died because of obesity, diabetes and heart problems. Sometimes the first thing in my head when I wake up is "kill yourself today." My only child, who I love more than life, hasn't spoken to me for for four months following a psychotic event whose repercussions are still sounding.

Turning to food is a way of embracing the Familiar, and for you, that's trauma. Every time you stuff something in your mouth for comfort you are repeating the abuses that made you fat in the first place.

You need to get out of yourself. There are nasty ghosts living there.

If you have a talent, exercise it. Make it part of your day. If you love music, dance to it in your living room. If you want to feel better about yourself, volunteer at a food bank and notice how grateful people are just to have food. Check out Craigslist for community opportunities and discussion groups. Find a 12-step group and go to meetings, whether AA, OA, CA or Al-Anon. If you're a vet with PTSD, you might find you feel worse attending those meetings. Take a class at your local community college. I suggest pottery because it's so challenging and you get to squish balls of clay and slap them down on the wheel, and use your weight to form the shapes of the pots you make.

If you love your brother, talk to him. Don't compromise yourself by doing so, but just tell him you love him and see where it goes from there. If you're angry, beat up a pillow with a tennis racket. If you still have a pillow after that, put your face in it and scream everything you're thinking into it.

Watch movies, read novels, take up knitting, offer your services to others. Get out of the house and away from food. Never eat at a restaurant or pick up fast food.

Most of all, be grateful for what you have. Black men are marginalized in our society and suffer from institutional racism But so are women, like me, and immigrants and religious groups. Sit down and make a list of all your fine qualities. Then capitalize on them by practicing your good qualities for yourself and others. The world is not a fair place but it's the only world we've got, so make it work for you.

Acknowledge your grief over losses. Even quitting a bad habit like smoking has grief attached to it, and giving up alcohol, which made everything easy, is also a loss.

Find a method of living daily life, then live it.

Stop letting your eating disorder boss you around. Demand discipline from yourself. Keep a journal of your thoughts and when you identify an obstacle there, take it apart, a little at a time. Do everything a little at a time until you build emotional strength and can handle bigger things.

And get back on your post-op diet. Ease into it, but do it. Keep a food diary to keep yourself honest. Count protein grams and calories.

Stop letting the ghosts win. You still have a lot of life to live, so if you are miserable about how you're living it, stop doing the things that drive you or trigger you.

No one can save you but you. And you can. But you have to humble yourself before the task of doing it because it isn't easy. You've come here and found us and we share your problems. We'll support you here whether you win or lose. Unclench your fists and give in to commitment. You've done it before, so you've proven you can do it.

Read through the posts here and take from them that which encourages you. Say affirmations, read helpful books about dealing with your problems and get active with addressing them. You'll never win if you let those ghosts control you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do see a therapist biweekly. I had a nutritionist but I was basically spinning my wheels with her and after four years with her I feel like we've run our course. She understands and says the door is always open - she is the one who suggested that I find an online group like this! I try not to eat out, but I do work at a military base that serves up meat & potato style dishes. The funny thing is I have developed a sweet tooth post sleeve surgery. My go to foods are still things that are salty, crunchy and fatty, but I am eating more sweet stuff. I was going to AA and OA but stopped for reasons I am not ready to talk about yet. Suffice it to say they became somewhat cliquish and my sponsors in said groups all relapsed! Don't go to VA groups for PTSD, there is a waiting list :rolleyes::rolleyes:. So I have been going it alone. I am a serious introvert so that is a challenge as well. Which is why an online group has some appeal to me.

Missdarmitage, I did buy myself a scale to weigh my food on this past Christmas - have started to weigh some things to get a better idea of portions.

Dianeseattle, thank you for your empathy, it is appreciated greatly. We'll see what happens. I am at my 1300 calorie limit today and did a workout about an hour ago. Filling up on water right now. Thanks again for the welcome and the feedback.

Rex, welcome to the group. I'm 65 and just had my VSG on Jan. 21. Tomorrow is my one week post-op appointment.
I've been thinking about food the last couple days, but I'm following my diet to the letter. I'm sending encouragement to you. I hope you and your brother can reconcile; siblings can be supportive. What kind of support system do you have? I took care of both my parents, both had dementia, and had to put them in a nursing home; it's been a few years since they each passed. That was a wild ride.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do see a therapist biweekly. I had a nutritionist but I was basically spinning my wheels with her and after four years with her I feel like we've run our course. She understands and says the door is always open - she is the one who suggested that I find an online group like this! I try not to eat out, but I do work at a military base that serves up meat & potato style dishes. The funny thing is I have developed a sweet tooth post sleeve surgery. My go to foods are still things that are salty, crunchy and fatty, but I am eating more sweet stuff. I was going to AA and OA but stopped for reasons I am not ready to talk about yet. Suffice it to say they became somewhat cliquish and my sponsors in said groups all relapsed! Don't go to VA groups for PTSD, there is a waiting list :rolleyes::rolleyes:. So I have been going it alone. I am a serious introvert so that is a challenge as well. Which is why an online group has some appeal to me.

Missdarmitage, I did buy myself a scale to weigh my food on this past Christmas - have started to weigh some things to get a better idea of portions.

Dianeseattle, thank you for your empathy, it is appreciated greatly. We'll see what happens. I am at my 1300 calorie limit today and did a workout about an hour ago. Filling up on water right now. Thanks again for the welcome and the feedback.
I am right there with you on being an introvert. I have just recently started making myself go out of my comfort zone and it is not easy.

I'm really glad you found us! Do you take your meals to work or do you tend to eat there more often? I have realized when I like to snack, I go for what is ready and easy. To help combat that a little bit, I have meal prepped my snacks. For crunchy, I make a parmesan crisp (seriously it is just shredded parmesan cheese that fills the bottom 1/3 of a mini muffin tin, baked at 350 for 10 min). I store it in the fridge in a bowl that I can simply just grab one or two and go. I also make protein pudding to help with the sweet. I buy SF pudding (chocolate fudge is my favorite!) and add a scoop of unflavored protein powder to give it a boost. I then put it in 4 oz jars and leave a little room at the top to add SF cool whip for just a touch more of that "sweet" taste. Again, in the jars I can grab one and not worry about eating too much. I will also buy veggie chips and put them into snack size ziplock bags.

Definitely look around this site and you will find lots of shared recipes. One thing we all have in common is our love of food and the battle with the demon that tells us it is okay to eat all of the food all of the time. Keep posting and hopefully this group will be able to provide some advice and help :)

Join a Senior Community group, U can go as many days a wk as U want, they have different activities, they go on bus trips to shows & other events, maybe U can get some socialization it helps pass your time & help w/ your depression. They even do Senior exercise classes U do what U can handle, wood working classes. U can usually eat lunch there for a couple of dollars,
Something to think about.
Good Luck getting back to your Healthy eating. U will do fine. We R all here to Cheer U on.

I bought little 4 oz Containers in the Dollar Store, made Tiny Turkey Meatballs, I weighed each one & put them in the freezer for when I can eat something solid. When I had my Lapband 15 yrs ago, I use muffin pans & made 3-4 oz Turkey Meatloaf's it was great to just grab something.

Join a Senior Community group, U can go as many days a wk as U want, they have different activities, they go on bus trips to shows & other events, maybe U can get some socialization it helps pass your time & help w/ your depression. They even do Senior exercise classes U do what U can handle, wood working classes. U can usually eat lunch there for a couple of dollars,
Something to think about.
Good Luck getting back to your Healthy eating. U will do fine. We R all here to Cheer U on.
Since Rex is only in his 50s, I doubt that he would have very good time with a bunch of senior citizens. I am a senior citizen but my actions and beliefs are much more those of a person in her mid-forties. I would never go to a senior group. It would bore me to tears.

And if you read Rex's post again, I think you'll notice that he doesn't need more activity. He's already overfilled with activities. What he needs is support and help getting back to his beginning steps. That's what we need to be helping with.

Do you have any advice for Rex that involves getting back on track? That's what he needs.

Yes mmitti, the dementia is a wild ride and I ride the rollercoaster of guilt, which contributes to my eating. I've done pouch resets, intermittent fasting, keto, I'm exercising but without proper food consumption, it seems like a waste of time.
Rex, you have my permission to let yourself off the hook.

Take back your power. Making your choice to go back to the beginning is a very insightful idea. As far as junk food and meat and potatoes goes, you're going to have to use different strategies. Stay away from the mess hall when meals are being served. Bring your own lunch and find a nice place to sit and eat it on the grass.

And just say no to candy. Easier said than done but I can't think of a single thing that would help you eat less candy. It's kind of like smoking. You have to quit on your own, and you are the only person who can support your quitting.

If you need to be accountable to something, at very least, keep a journal. We can't give in to our mental processes, especially PTSD. The only way to even the scale is to think differently. That often happens when you keep a journal. Right quickly and from your heart with no editing or censoring. Then put it away. take it out whenever you need to write something in it.

And every few weeks read it back to yourself. You might be surprised at what your subconscious was willing to write, even though your consciousness really wanted to keep everything as neutral as possible.

Remember to keep your canteen full of water and drink all day long until you have consumed 64 Oz. As an older person, I tried to finish up my water a few hours before bedtime, if you take my meaning.

Also, keep a food journal and measure and weigh every single meal you plan to take in. Becomes familiar with protein grams and calories. And if you don't get any exercise now, you could at least walk around the base on your break or make a point of moving every time you stand up.

As you tried to reclaim what is rightfully yours, you will have to put some effort into it. Part of that effort will be sheer willpower. You must say no when it's appropriate to say no. Do it for yourself and don't even tell anyone else you're doing it, including your mother or brother.

If you do not have the diet that the nutritionist gave you years ago, find one online and use it. In our resource section here you will find a resource I am currently editing. In this particular resource there is a lot of good information about protein. Knowing what food has how many protein grams is extremely important. Let it become second nature to you.

Don't tell yourself that you can never have candy or snack again. There will come a time when these foods are just fine and have no poisonous qualities to them. But you are a long ways away right now. Psych yourself out so that you can say no and keep your firm stance on being healthy again.

Good luck, Rex. Make sure you stick around and keep us updated. And if there are other specifics you can identify where are you need support, please don't be afraid to ask them.

Hi, Rex! Everyone has had great advice, so I don't have much to add. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know we're all here for you. And we ALL understand how you can get caught up in your own head, real or imagined (Hindenburg, indeed! lol) and how comforting food can be. You've done a great job losing weight. Not to mention quitting smoking and drinking. Congratulation on all of that.

Back