• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

the end of my journey

kph

I spoke with my bariatric team last week and I was told that my BMI is 27. Without excess skin it has to be about 25. I am carrying about 10 to 15 lbs of skin they are estimating. They said they will not be happy if I continue to lose. Actually I have pretty much stayed at 148 to 153 lbs since april. Now the next journey begins, keeping it off. They do not want me to go to 120lbs.

I watched a friend lose weight after RNY and she went down way to far. She looked sickly. Its been 5 yrs now for her, and she has quit exercising and has gained about 30 lbs back. She of course thinks that she is fat again, but she is not. She looks so much better now. She looks healthier. Maybe the docs know what they're talking about. My goal weight is 150, but depending on how I look and feel, I may stop at 160-170. Good luck on this next step of you're journey. Can't wait til I get there!

Kph - Hello!

I'm not sure how tall you are but you've lost almost have of your body weight in a year's time. I'm incredily encouraged that you've used your golden, window of opportunity well. Is 120 realistic given your ago, time you've been overweight, etc.?

Perhaps for now listening to the MDs and settling at the present weight might be a good idea. I've always been able to lose weight, keeping it off & stopping the exercise & why I I continue having to do it again and again. It's about permanent changes.

Are you perhaps reluctant to the idea of maintaining what you've lost? I probably would be but that's just me.

If you have any great tips to encourage & help the rest of us - I'm all ears, you inspire me.
I hope you're plenty pleased and proud of yourself; your efforts are to be commended.

It's really not the end of the journey, perhaps you're onto a different level now - maintenance.

It's possible after being able to maintain your present wt level your MD may reconsider or you may.
I have to say that your BMI is outstanding - excellent job.

Hi KPH, Before I had surgery I set my goal weight at 170, I don't know why, maybe because that was the lowest weight I can remember being, but at my last doctors appoitment they said my ideal weight should be 175, based on muscle mass and sceletal fram from a specialized scale they have at he office. You Have done a great job getting to where you are at and if you follow the meal plans that stick to a high protien low fat/carb and small sevings you should do fine, I think we all know if we start falling back into our old habiys we will start edging the scale upwards. Keep up the great work. :cool: Tom

Congratulations on reaching your first goal. You are right, phase 2 is now in play. It's actually a fun one. You will learn so much about yourself and what you can do throughout your life. It's not so bad. It's a challenge and an adjustment.

I'm one of those that went to far. I fluctuate between 120 and 130. My goal weight is 134. My BMI as of 4 months ago as....cough cough...5%. I was diagnosed as malnutritioned and anemic, and there is a very long list of everything. I have worked very hard and am now up to about 127 lbs. and maintaining well. I am sure my BMI has gone up. I need to have it checked again.

I am cold ALL the time because I literally have no body fat to keep me warm. It is summer and I wear sweat shirts whenever I can. But to my defense, we have moved from the low desert of southern cal/mexico border to south central Oregon where it is COLD all the time and snows a lot.

Keep your stride. Don't quit. And you WILL adapt and be successful!!!!!!

Take care!

Letrell

I am 5'2". I guess I thought 120lbs because I used to weigh that. I am listening to my dr.s advice and staying where i'm at. Because of excess skin my tummy and upper arms don't look really great but I will have to live with it. (I am going to try weight training to tone up a bit). I am very pleased and proud of where I am. As for advise I just follow my dr's regimen and try not to snack. I walk on the treadmill about 45 to 70 mins 5 days a week. I walk at a 10% incline at about a 3.6 to 3.7 speed.

Oh sweet Mary! Good for you, kph!!!! Yanno what I do? Ummmm....nothing. 45 to 70 mins 5 days a week!!!!!????? I walk up stairs and my thighs scream...what are you doing, woman!!!! take the elevator!!! LOL. I have nooooo muscles in my thighs.

On the upside....on saturday my darling husband bought me the machine of my dreams...an eliptical. I love that thing. And wow, yesterday I climbed on and happily walked for a good 20 minutes. I can walk around town for hours! Not really, our town is so small, I'd be circling it, but I walk and walk and walk. Just because I love to walk, not for exercise. That's it for me.

You don't know how pleased I am for you. You are doing GREAT!!!! Keep it up!!!

Now I feel guilty...LOL.

Letrel

Back