• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

...the fine print...

Pixx

Definition of fine print. : something thoroughly and often deliberately obscure; especially : a part of an agreement or document spelling out restrictions and limitations often in small type or obscure language.

So I have been reading posts lately and I am just kind of amazed at some of the stuff I come across when it comes to weight loss surgery. It is kind of like all those thousands of commercials that come on television trying to get you to take a new and amazing drug but at the end of the commercial, you hear a small voice that tells you to consult with your doctor "as it may cause the following conditions..."which it then lists for the next two minutes. I was thinking along the same lines anyway as I notice that there seems to be a pattern in the forums when it comes to WLS. Has anyone else noticed that a huge part of the focus in the forum seems to be on the beginning of the journey, through the pre-op process, onto surgery and then perhaps a bit on recovery and then things get kind of quiet...people disappear, they move on and the next new person arrives at the beginning of their journey and the whole thing starts over. The questions, concerns, topics rotate over and over and I am just wondering, are the surgeons out there truly sharing with their patients "the fine print" of this life altering surgery they are providing? Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to discount the care provided by the many weight loss surgeons, but essentially, they are in the business of making money by performing surgeries, and well, weight loss surgery is typically a once per patient kind of surgery. So, while they provide you with tons of information on the types of surgery available and pre-op requirements, dietician visits, nutritional information, are they all giving a thorough amount of information of what life will be like after the surgery? Are they providing 'the fine print'? I only wonder because so many posts reflect the lack of that information and there seems to be a large amount of frustration on the patient side of living the new lifestyle. I know that some insurance companies require a 4 hour class on how to live the new lifestyle once you've gone through the surgery, shouldn't that be mandatory for everyone regardless? I was given a book and told to read it. Really? Because I have that kind of time and inclination when I wasn't truly interested in the weight loss side of things to begin with, I can honestly say I never read it. I was clueless when I got out of surgery on what was next. I doubt I was the only one. I actually sought online search engines and forums to learn the information, which is how I came across this group and ended up joining. It has me wondering who else skipped over the fine print?

For those of you just starting out, I can only encourage you to learn all you can about what life is going to be like after you go through this surgery. Read the fine print! Have a full understanding of what the term 'lifestyle change' actually means. It doesn't have anything to do with wearing smaller clothes or taking the before and after photos. It is all about you changing your daily eating, nutrition, and exercise habits. Managing malabsorption for the rest of your life so that your health doesn't suffer from you forgetting to attend to your daily vitamin, calcium and mineral needs. Understanding and embracing a protein diet for the rest of your life. Giving up bad eating habits and moving forward with nutritional meals. Saying goodbye to bad foods, bad habits, and bad addictions. You can't enter into weight loss surgery as if the surgery itself will take your obesity and cure it, it won't! You are simply given a tool to use to help you achieve what you've struggled to achieve for so long. Just like a woodworker needs a hammer to drive in the nail, you too will have to put forth the effort to make the changes in your life that you want to be a healthier you. Weight loss surgery is by no means an easy way out of our inability to lose weight. It's hard! On both the body and the mind. You have to work hard after the surgery to get to where you want to be. Life after surgery essentially becomes a maintenance system for your body and you've got to use the right tools, at the right time to keep things running in top condition. Your given the right tools for success, it all comes down to how proficient you are at using them long term that will make the difference in whether you are able to be successful and achieve the ultimate goal of a happier, healthier you! Ultimately, when asked for advice on this forum about any of the surgeries and how to successfully deal with them, I can only say with absolute conviction, read the fine print!

Definition of fine print. : something thoroughly and often deliberately obscure; especially : a part of an agreement or document spelling out restrictions and limitations often in small type or obscure language.

So I have been reading posts lately and I am just kind of amazed at some of the stuff I come across when it comes to weight loss surgery. It is kind of like all those thousands of commercials that come on television trying to get you to take a new and amazing drug but at the end of the commercial, you hear a small voice that tells you to consult with your doctor "as it may cause the following conditions..."which it then lists for the next two minutes. I was thinking along the same lines anyway as I notice that there seems to be a pattern in the forums when it comes to WLS. Has anyone else noticed that a huge part of the focus in the forum seems to be on the beginning of the journey, through the pre-op process, onto surgery and then perhaps a bit on recovery and then things get kind of quiet...people disappear, they move on and the next new person arrives at the beginning of their journey and the whole thing starts over. The questions, concerns, topics rotate over and over and I am just wondering, are the surgeons out there truly sharing with their patients "the fine print" of this life altering surgery they are providing? Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to discount the care provided by the many weight loss surgeons, but essentially, they are in the business of making money by performing surgeries, and well, weight loss surgery is typically a once per patient kind of surgery. So, while they provide you with tons of information on the types of surgery available and pre-op requirements, dietician visits, nutritional information, are they all giving a thorough amount of information of what life will be like after the surgery? Are they providing 'the fine print'? I only wonder because so many posts reflect the lack of that information and there seems to be a large amount of frustration on the patient side of living the new lifestyle. I know that some insurance companies require a 4 hour class on how to live the new lifestyle once you've gone through the surgery, shouldn't that be mandatory for everyone regardless? I was given a book and told to read it. Really? Because I have that kind of time and inclination when I wasn't truly interested in the weight loss side of things to begin with, I can honestly say I never read it. I was clueless when I got out of surgery on what was next. I doubt I was the only one. I actually sought online search engines and forums to learn the information, which is how I came across this group and ended up joining. It has me wondering who else skipped over the fine print?

For those of you just starting out, I can only encourage you to learn all you can about what life is going to be like after you go through this surgery. Read the fine print! Have a full understanding of what the term 'lifestyle change' actually means. It doesn't have anything to do with wearing smaller clothes or taking the before and after photos. It is all about you changing your daily eating, nutrition, and exercise habits. Managing malabsorption for the rest of your life so that your health doesn't suffer from you forgetting to attend to your daily vitamin, calcium and mineral needs. Understanding and embracing a protein diet for the rest of your life. Giving up bad eating habits and moving forward with nutritional meals. Saying goodbye to bad foods, bad habits, and bad addictions. You can't enter into weight loss surgery as if the surgery itself will take your obesity and cure it, it won't! You are simply given a tool to use to help you achieve what you've struggled to achieve for so long. Just like a woodworker needs a hammer to drive in the nail, you too will have to put forth the effort to make the changes in your life that you want to be a healthier you. Weight loss surgery is by no means an easy way out of our inability to lose weight. It's hard! On both the body and the mind. You have to work hard after the surgery to get to where you want to be. Life after surgery essentially becomes a maintenance system for your body and you've got to use the right tools, at the right time to keep things running in top condition. Your given the right tools for success, it all comes down to how proficient you are at using them long term that will make the difference in whether you are able to be successful and achieve the ultimate goal of a happier, healthier you! Ultimately, when asked for advice on this forum about any of the surgeries and how to successfully deal with them, I can only say with absolute conviction, read the fine print!

I am fortunate that I have been in an excellent 6-month program of education about what you need to know and do at each stage pre-operatively, post-operatively, and most importantly, for the rest of your life following weight loss surgery. The program emphasizes that weight loss surgery is only a tool for weight loss. It's really up to you what you do with this tool the rest of your life that will help to determine what your overall weight loss will be and if you can keep that weight off.
Although I said that the program is 6 months long, actually for some of us, it is longer. The people who run the program understand that people will become ready for weight loss surgery at different speeds. I am actually just starting my 7th month of the program. I had a slip-up where I regained 2 lbs each of the last 2 months. In the big picture, a 4-lb weight gain is not such a big deal. But, in reality, the people in the program (and I) want to make sure I can get back on track and stay on track with this change in my lifestyle before they refer me for surgery.
I am also grateful that this program spends a lot of time explaining what to expect in how your body will work and new things you may experience after weight loss surgery. It also focuses on what you will need to do post-operatively to live your new healthy lifestyle, not just while you're losing weight, but also when you get to the point where you will be maintaining your weight. They provide a lot of opportunities for you to ask questions about how the surgery will have an impact on your specific life.
But Pixx has it right, you need to pay attention to that fine print. Make sure you are comfortable with the amount of information you have so that you can make your best decisions about your weight loss surgery. These decisions will strongly influence the lifestyle you will live from then onward.

Yes, I had my surgery in 2014 & am now in a big mess!! I have been going to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN because frankly they don't know what to do with me in Des Moines, IA!! I have scar tissue from the surgery & so now it is closing in on me & I throw up every day...cannot eat meat at all...can still eat only very small amts. It has turned into a nightmare!! And I have an ulcer now at the bottom of my stomach! They now want to do more surgery and reconnect my small intestine to my already very small stomach!! And the worse part I still love to eat junk food!! Lord help me!!

I concur that the forums when I was browsing tend to be focused a bit on the surgery itself and the time surrounding it and less on the long term maintenance. I understand it though since it is such a big change for people and there is a lot of fear associated with the event.

Personally - I was enthusiastic and read a ton of stuff before I had my surgery. I had a good grasp on risks and benefits and prepared for what was to come. BUT - Nothing can prepare you fully for the true impact of the surgery. All my food choices are now much more important since there is only so much I can eat and/or should eat. I dont want to negatively impact my surgery. I want to succeed.

I expect my current challenges will change and my experiences later on will much different. I look forward to them and leveraging this forum to keep me in the game.

Yes, I had my surgery in 2014 & am now in a big mess!! I have been going to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN because frankly they don't know what to do with me in Des Moines, IA!! I have scar tissue from the surgery & so now it is closing in on me & I throw up every day...cannot eat meat at all...can still eat only very small amts. It has turned into a nightmare!! And I have an ulcer now at the bottom of my stomach! They now want to do more surgery and reconnect my small intestine to my already very small stomach!! And the worse part I still love to eat junk food!! Lord help me!!
sending prayers your way

I was actually surprised how quickly I was approved for the surgery. So many people have to lose weight before and try other methods. Even though the time between my initial visit and my surgery took less than 3 months, I feel that my weight loss team did everything they could to make sure that I understood the surgery was a tool, not a cure all. We are given a book full of information to read, bring with us, and even tested over. Personally I feel that they did not prepare me for the immediate impact of the surgery, biggest being the nausea! Omg nausea like I never imagined! And the past week I swear my entire body itches constantly! benedryl does nothing...am I the only one?

Back