• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

JudyNY

I hesitate to tell my story because there are so many people that can benefit from this surgery and won't have a single post surgery problem. And I would hate for what I have to say stop someone from having this surgery because of what happened to me. But as they say no surgery comes without risks and I suppose it is better to know in advance what could happen, even if it is a rare one, like mine. If hearing about such things makes you too nervous then I suggest you don't read the following. Just know that in the end, as of the writing, I know I did what I needed to do so that I, at age 66, can live the rest of my life healthier and happier.

I had VSG June 25, 2020. All went well with the surgery, I had an old Lapband removed and a hernia fixed at the same time. Went home as planned the next day. I don't remember being in too much pain, Tylenol was all I needed for about 3 or 4 days. On the 5th day I noticed one of my incisions looked infected. It started to bleed, there was pus and it smelled. Called my surgeon and he had me go right in to his office. He tried to squeeze the infection out, bandaged it up and said to come back in 2 days which was my normal 1 week check-up. (Note: looking back I am curious why he didn't start me on antibiotics immediately).

Day 8, July 3rd. Woke up feeling like I was going to pass out. I knew something was very wrong and I couldn't wait until my afternoon doctor appointment. Woke my husband up and suddenly my breathing was labored so 9-1-1 was called. Blood pressure was very low. Testing done in the ER showed I had Sepsis. I was sent into surgery to clean the wound out and put into ICU I think for about a day and then moved to a regular room. Was kept in the hospital until July 11th.

July 11-12 (sometime around midnight), got up to go to the bathroom and collapsed on the floor. It took a while for my husband to hear me yell for him as he was still up watching TV. I was far worse than I was the last time 9-1-1 was called. Blood pressure extremely low. At this point I remember going into the ambulance but nothing past that point. I had internal bleeding which they did emergency surgery for. I was intubated which I have no recollection of and was apparently out for some time (days?) while in recovery or ICU. I just know at some point I was in a regular hospital room extremely out of it. My husband said they almost lost me. Remember this is all during Covid, so no visitors in the hospital. Aside from some phone calls which I was terribly groggy for, I had no other contact with him or other family members. I know the team of doctors faithfully came every morning at 6:30 am but I had such a hard time comprehending. The first time I was asked to sign something, I couldn't even figure out how to write. My brain was messed up. So were my kidney levels and who knows what else.

July17, time to be discharged, but from all the surgeries and from constantly being on an IV I had 40 extra pounds of weight since my surgery on June 25th! Who has WLS and gains 40lbs the 3 weeks following? And I couldn't be put on diuretics because my kidney function was off. I literally had no mobility. With help, I could use a walker and get myself to the bathroom but I could not lift my water logged legs into bed. I had no strength to do that. So I needed to go into a rehab center.

Rehab Center: What a joke! If it hadn't been for Covid, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad but I was quarantined to my room. You all know how walking is so important post op. How was I to get my walking in? I was now able to use a walker ok, by myself but couldn't leave my little room! There were no accommodations for me to keep my legs up to help with the swelling. After 6 days of rehab it was time to go home and get some REAL rehabilitation. We were having a visiting nurse and PT/OT come to the house. I was finally able to be prescribed a diuretic and lost 1-2 lbs daily but it took weeks to get back to normal.

Up until this point, I was regretting WLS big time. What had I done to myself? What had I done to my family? I did almost die. I even had one of those dreams like you see on TV or in the movies when someone is "just on the edge". It was horrible. But then.... finally.... my health had gotten better. I was blessed with a second chance. I knew that while this almost cost me my life, the actual stomach surgery did not have any problems like leaking. My tool was working now and doing a good job. I was starting to get energy back that I haven't had in years and years. Before I knew it I had lost 118 lbs. I still have more to lose to get to my goal but I am thankful every day. I am glad I had the surgery because I could have died without it. No more regrets.

Thank you for sharing your story! I’m so happy that you were able to get through all of that!! It’s always hard to see the positive during the worst of it. I couldn’t even imagine. I wouldn’t worry about scaring anyone away from the surgery, I think it’s good to hear about it from all angles.

Back