• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

the nutritionist sure didn't help- she disappointed me

girlnow

i gained 4 pounds. i am a year out. in a frenzy i called the nutritionist and made an appointment. she was not inspiring or competent. she told me "it's only 4 pounds". First of all to a bariatric patient who had 80 percent of their stomach removed because of weight, 4 lbs is alot. it has now zoomed up to a weight gain of 10 lbs. she also told me on that same day
"don't count calories". Just eat healthy meals. Hello? i have never eaten healthy meals in my life once i turned 40. so simply telling me to "just eat healthy meals" is supposed to mean i am healed of all the bad habits i have had for over 10 years.

i was so disappointed. she shocked me by saying "it's only 4 lbs". one more pound and it would have been 10 percent of what I have lost from the surgery. that's alot of weight.

the nutritionists i see work part time in bariatrics and the other time as 'regular' dieticians. they are not exclusively bariatrics. i get more out of watching some nutritionists on youtube.

I think you should look at yourself for discipline and guidance. You should have a written food plan. The rest is up to you. You should be increasing your activity and eating a balanced diet. Who cares about a professionall's opinion? Only FACTS matter. And you need to take responsibility for getting yourself into a place where you somehow gained so much weight in the first place.

I remember this old saying, "when you're pointing the firnger at someone else, you've got four more fingers pointing back at you. Take your share of responsibility and work WITH your nutritionist. If that doesn't work, as your doctor for a referral to a different medical professional.

I have found the nutritionists to be very basic when giving information. If they have not had the surgery themselves, they tend to believe you CANNOT overeat. Which of course is just not true.

That being said .. You know which foods are healthy. And you know about proper serving sizes. Make yourself a meal plan and stick to it. Try prepping your meals, or at least your snacks for the week. I get into trouble with too many options. If I just want a snack, I'm much more likely to go for something easy. If I have radishes and celery sliced and ready to eat with my homemade hummus (no oils added!), then that's what I'll choose. If I have to cut up veg, I'm just grabbing crackers and peanut butter. (100 ish calories vs 300-400). It sounds crazy but I have a spreadsheet and I make a meal plan every week. It is not nearly as difficult as it sounds. I eat oatmeal every morning. I have a snack of berries and yogurt every day. So that leaves lunch, dinner and another snack. Chicken salad, burrito bowls and turkey wraps are fairly regular rotated lunches. Dinner is much more varied.

While it seems like what's good and bad for you changes fairly regularly, the basics do not change. Stick to foods that are minimally processed. Eat a deck of card size portion of protein. Add vegetables and or fruits next. Healthy carbs and whole grains that are high in fiber. Limit your intake of oils and fats, avoid trans fat all together.

You can do a search for a healthy meal plan online to get you started. Good luck.

i gained 4 pounds. i am a year out. in a frenzy i called the nutritionist and made an appointment. she was not inspiring or competent. she told me "it's only 4 pounds". First of all to a bariatric patient who had 80 percent of their stomach removed because of weight, 4 lbs is alot. it has now zoomed up to a weight gain of 10 lbs. she also told me on that same day
"don't count calories". Just eat healthy meals. Hello? i have never eaten healthy meals in my life once i turned 40. so simply telling me to "just eat healthy meals" is supposed to mean i am healed of all the bad habits i have had for over 10 years.

i was so disappointed. she shocked me by saying "it's only 4 lbs". one more pound and it would have been 10 percent of what I have lost from the surgery. that's alot of weight.

the nutritionists i see work part time in bariatrics and the other time as 'regular' dieticians. they are not exclusively bariatrics. i get more out of watching some nutritionists on youtube.
What they don't say is its pretty come to gain weight back. I have gained about 25-30pounds back since surgery 3 years ago. Bodies have a set size and they will go to that. This is lily where "it's only 4 lbs" comes from. The average person gains back 10-20 pounds

Back