• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The pain... Omg...

Debbie S

Hello Everyone. I had my surgery on 5-5-15. I would rather give birth naturally again than go through this pain. Now that i got that out of the way, i want to ask has anyone else had this extreme of pain? I had the RNY bypass BUT also during surgery my doc found a hernia, a bad one. They had to surgically repair me back together. I guess upon opening me up they instantly saw my esophagus. I was told it looked like a train wrecked inside me. They had to resew all my muscles back together and everything else.

Now that I am home i am on a 10 day liquid diet which mostly is composed of popsicles, 3 oz of decaf coffee, and water. I tried to drink chicken and beef broth (low sodium) but could not tolerate it at all.

Now the past night i have been dealing with BAD indigestion almost like heartburn. I am on nexium but i guess i just need to give it time.

My follow up appointment is scheduled for Wednesday.

Wish me luck!!

Hello Everyone. I had my surgery on 5-5-15. I would rather give birth naturally again than go through this pain. Now that i got that out of the way, i want to ask has anyone else had this extreme of pain? I had the RNY bypass BUT also during surgery my doc found a hernia, a bad one. They had to surgically repair me back together. I guess upon opening me up they instantly saw my esophagus. I was told it looked like a train wrecked inside me. They had to resew all my muscles back together and everything else.

Now that I am home i am on a 10 day liquid diet which mostly is composed of popsicles, 3 oz of decaf coffee, and water. I tried to drink chicken and beef broth (low sodium) but could not tolerate it at all.

Now the past night i have been dealing with BAD indigestion almost like heartburn. I am on nexium but i guess i just need to give it time.

My follow up appointment is scheduled for Wednesday.

Wish me luck!!

So sorry you are going through such bad pain, Debbie. I'm sure most of the pain is due to your hernia and esophagus repairs. I had a hernia repaired when I had my hysterectomy done last summer and it was pretty painfull. My RNY bypass didn't hurt much at all when I had it done.

Good luck to you! When I was on my liquid diet after surgery I had to drink cranberry juice, sugar free jello and boullion. Not too great a menu.

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Debbie S, I'm so sorry you were in so much pain. Wow they had to do a lot. How are you feeling now? I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. i had to go for an EKG before I find out my surgery date. Now I have to wait for the results of that then get my surgery date. The nurse said it could take 3 weeks. I guess it's a case of hurry up and wait. I hope you're feeling much better. Please let me know. Tell me how your diet is going. Talk to you soon.

Hi Cheyenne and Nisey,

I believe you are right, that my pain is probably all from hernia/esophageal repair. Anyways, I wished i could tolerate beef or chicken broth, even the bouillon cubes, but i cannot. I want to gag just by smelling it. :(

So my "liquid diet" consists of sugar free popsicles and water. I used to drink flavored water, but that seems extremely hard right now. I am not sure if its just the flavor or what, but getting used to eating and drinking all over again is foreign. I used to LOVE, and I mean LOVE my coffee, now I don't want any of it.

On a bright note, I had lab work done today and my WBC came down and is looking much better and the remaining of lab work that was done all came out great.

Now, I cannot wait until Wednesday to see the doctor. I want to know if i lost any weight. Wait, let me say this.. I DID LOSE WEIGHT.. I went there on 5/4/15 (one day before my surgery) and got weighed in and lost 24.6 pounds IN ONE WEEK (from being on a liquid/whey drink diet). Talk about being thrilled. OH Ya I was dancing. HEHEHE
Anyways, Wednesday will give me a better idea of how much weight i have lost and and to hear what doc has to say now that i am not all in a drunken state from surgery.

Now i have one final question.. Has anyone seen those bracelets (good ones) that says on the front your name (and then the medical alert id tag).. then on Back it says Gastric Bypass the date, the doc number and also NO NSAIDS, NO BLIND TUBING, NO SUGAR ?... I found all sorts online, but i be honest I do not remember what website it was that offered all of this info. I been reading up on this and it appears to be a great idea for all of us bypass peps to get one

Well Let me know,
Debbie

Hi Debbie S, sounds like you're doing better. Pretty soon you'll be able to drink different things and even get into puréeing different foods. I looked on Amazon.com. They have a couple of ID Medic Alert Bracelets you can get. I think the best one was $29.99. That is the one I would like to get later on with the black and green wristband. Just type in Gastric Bypass Medic Alert Bracelets and they will come up. Keep up the awesome work sweetie and keep us posted on what your doctor says okay? Best of luck on your next step towards healing.

hi Debbie,
I hope the heartburn feeling has gone away. I had the sleeve on 04/06/2015 and had the same problem happened to me I waited until my two week check up and talked to the doctor everything I ate other than water and protein drinks made me have the same feeling it was like my stomach was on fire. I too was on nexium and it did nothing to help. Any way the doctor said my stomach was spasming from the surgery and gave me liquid valium which helped so much. I did have to take a third week off of work but after that my stomach gave me no problems. Talk to your doctor don't wait for your appointment.

Back