• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The scales.

I do not like to weigh myself. I have once since I went to doctor and I go again in Feb. I had eating disorders when I was younger and do not want to get fixated to the scales again. Does anyone else have a problem with weighing yourself? If so how often should we weigh ourselves?

Thanks,
Angie

I think it is different for everyone since each person loses weight at a different rate. I have read that if you are "scale obsessed" that you shouldn't weight yourself no more than once a week and preferably only once a month. Since so many things can affect weight loss at a given weigh in, like how much you have had to drink, what you have eaten, when you have your bowel movements, weighing more often will only increase anxiety and make you worry for no real reason. Some people don't mind the ups and downs daily, many do, so if you are worried about the scale - less is probably better.

My center prefers that I only weigh at the center since I go monthly but I weigh daily first thing in the morning and only write it down once a week on Saturday. Weight Watchers only recommended once a week when I used to do that.

I do once a week-but, I could go for until I see the Team again. In this case it will be my Nutritionist this week on the 17th-so I know they will weigh me then. I will hold off from weighing until then.
I am just excited by the weight loss.

Carol

I weigh every day, some times I lose, sometimes stay the same and today gained almost pound, go figure. I attribute that to constipation :) but who knows.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just had my surgery 1/10/13. I've been weighing myself each morning when I get up. Since I started "Phase 2" of re-introduction of food, which is 3 "meals" of milk based liquids, I have not lost 1 ounce in 5 days. I don't see how this is even possible, and it's very discouraging. I don't know whether I should stop weighing myself, and trust that I'm doing the right thing, so it has to come off. Can't believe I did all of this and nothing is coming off in 5 days! i thought with this type of surgery it was supposed to fall off.

HI, weight does not "FALL OFF" it comes off, some slowly and some fast. I have not lost in a week but I am told i will come off. This surgery is NOT THE EASY way out for sure!!! Are you eating your protein at the amounts your program say you should? Are you drinking your water/fluids enough? Are you exercising, walking etc.? I am sure that one day you will go to weigh yourself and BANG you lose 2-3 pounds. and the next day same.
I have not lost a pound in a week and somedays it says I gained weight. HOW could that happen given I eat about 400-500 cal a day? Who knows but it does and I am told it will come off eventually. Frustrating YES but believe me, weight will NOT fall off, and it is NOT the easy way, I have had a really hard time actually! I was done on Dec 3 and have lost about 15 pounds, to me that is slowly but to some it is regular.

Thanks Sandie - Yes, I'm drinking my liquids, walking following all I was told to the letter. I have no idea what to expect. Just want to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

I am the other way weigh every day and get dissapointed.so i changed to every couple days and that was good i had lost 2 more lbs.i realy think once a week is good .that is what i am working up to. you are doing great .I think it is good once a week to know how your diet is working.
Thanks Roxanne

Hi i was the same way. It is better to weigh once a week.but you are still full of fluids.just follow the plan and it will start falling off.the closer you follow the plan the better. Thanks roxanne

Back