• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The struggle: March 8

mmitti

Hello, I'll carry on with the Struggle.

Successes past week: lost 1 lb. Got lots of physical activity in. I've started cutting portion sizes down.

Struggle: I overeat. I'm tracking food. It's a never ending challenge. I need to increase walking and exercising.

The struggle: yesterday I didn't make good food choices. I started out okay but then certain things kept calling my name and while I wrote everything down and accounted for it, there were things I shouldn't have had. It does worry me when this happens because I want to be sure I get right back to business the next day. So far I have. Half the day gone and I'm doing good so far, so I am grateful! I know it won't always be smooth sailing but as long as I can quickly pick myself up and put myself back on track, I am okay with that. As Dory says from Finding Nemo "keep on swimming".

Judy,
Isn’t that funny.... I had the same jackass in my ear yesterday. LOL. I tried shooing him away, HELL I tried to bribe him but he would not go away.
I will say if I’m not busy and I don’t stick to a schedule I find that this nuisance seems to appear.
Today was a better day I got right up this morning and went for my am walk and I think I got rid of him for today. I just hope that he has not gone to see any of you today. LOL

Three weeks ago I gained a half pound. This was my first gain since my surgery last July. The following week I lost 2 pounds and this past Saturday I weighed myself and lost 1 pound. On Saturday after my weigh-in I went grocery shopping and bought cheddar popcorn and peanut butter filled pretzels. I’ve been snacking on them both, but threw the rest and a majority in the garbage today. At my 6 month doctor appointment I was told to be careful and continue tracking and using the Baritastic App because this is the point where patients can start gaining back weight. I’ve lost close to 84 pounds and am terrified about regaining weight with everything I’ve gone through to lose this weight.

It does seem like the 6 month mark for a lot of people is where the bad habits of the past and additional hunger start creeping back in. It has certainly been a bigger struggle for me. Not having those types of things near me is important. I still feel like I am in good mindset to make the right choice, but I think the choice is a little more difficult. I feel like I'm on the precipice of my future. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..." so to speak, and I have to look down both and try to discern where they are going. One path is well travelled. It's the path of poor food choices. It is the path of no exercise. It is the path that may have had enjoyment at times, but there was a lot of ill health and many difficulties and unhappiness. It is a path that statistic show would be the shorter path. The other path is less travelled. It's the path of good food choice, exercise, a path that has been more enjoyable that not. It is a path that is filled with good health and hopefully happiness related to a fuller and more active life. It is a longer path, and perhaps at times more difficult, but as any good hike, the payoff is usually better at the end of a difficult hike.

My hope is, I can look back at this decision point and say, "Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

Quotes are from "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.

Perhaps my waxing poetic is a bit odd, but I do feel like there is clear choice for me right now. I can get back on that well travelled path that contributed to my obesity, or I can go another direction. My choice, of course, is to go the other direction. It will not be easy, but as I close in on 100lbs lost (just a little pound and a half away), I can feel myself struggling with the old "reward" system. I've lost 100lbs, I should be able to eat ice cream all day!! From that point, the excuses for making "exceptions" pile up, as does the weight. I've done it before, pre-surgery.

I'm changing my reward system away from food, but there is still that pull there. The drive toward old habits are heavily ingrained even though for the past 7 months I've been building new habits and a new relationship with food, that old mindset is still lurking there. This is where the battle comes full circle. The honeymoon period starts to abate and you have to start relying on making good choices even if you don't feel "full" or "satisfied" when you think you should. Some people go a year or two before they start this battle, but for me, and I think plenty of others, I feel the storm gathering now at the 6/7 month mark. Not full force, but there. A guerrilla force waiting to attack from the shadows. I still have my weapon of surgery, and it's still doing good things for me, but it's effective range is diminished a bit, I think. I have to continue working on becoming self reliant in my decision making and continue to make good choices and train myself to avoid those things that I know are a slippery slope.

I'm sorry...I really rambled this time....

Carry on mmitti! Sounds like it was a pretty good week for you, overall. And I think Ryan has really summed up where I personally am at and why I wanted to start a struggle post to begin with. I have not made great food choices every step of this path, nor do I expect to in the future. And unlike Kayleigh, I have fluctuated a few pounds here and there throughout this journey. And I am fine with that too. (I salted my cucumbers and was up the next day. Water retention is real!)
My struggle is still that I'm really hitting a point that I have to start thinking about long term maintenance. And I've slacked off a bit with the meal prep. And a bit with the scheduled eating. And a bit with the tracking. I want to be in a place where maybe I don't have to measure and track every bite, but I don't yet trust myself to consistently make the best choices without the rigorous controls I have had in place.
Goal for last week was to eat more veggies. After the salt/cucumber fiasco, success is up for debate, But overall, I felt good last week, so I'm calling it a win. Also, I went for 2 walks today (2 miles each) so that was huge win. I have missed outside!!
Goal for this week: Meal prep lunches and track only 4 days of the week. When I meal prep, great food decisions are already made, so (hopefully) I can stick to the plan and still have a successful week.

Two walks Missy? That's terrific! I am going to get outside tomorrow as we are promised good weather for the next few days. I did get some exercising in inside today tough, and in between my exercise routine (arm & leg strengthening) I walk several times around the house at a quick pace. Now I can transition that to outside finally!

My husband and I even discussed me getting a four legged walking partner. We do have two other dogs but they are big and I'm afraid if they see another dog, they will either pull me to the ground or get away and they have the freedom of a fenced-in backyard. I'm looking for a little dog, but it probably won't happen until I get back from my trip to see my siblings in May.

Struggle: My 79 yo mom had knee replacement revision surgery Friday, I stayed at the hospital all day until she was settled in her room. I definitely did not hit my calorie goal, and I’m still failing there. Protein isn’t the problem bc I can have 2 shakes and be there, and I’m drinking enough water. I’m spending my days at her house helping my aunt take care of her, so my problem is not bringing enough to eat or just not forcing myself to eat. Also, 3rd period in 6 weeks is making me really tired physically. I ordered more multivitamin vitamins with extra iron, so hopefully that will help.

Success: I’ve lost 70lbs since surgery in October, 87 since January 2020, only 30 or so more to go until I reach my goal. I’m expecting to stay at this weight for a while though since I’m not eating enough, so I’m not going to let that bother me.

Goal this week: Track to see where my calories are at, and bring more food, or scavenge healthy foods from my moms, to increase my intake.

Hi 3mom, I was just thinking that we hadn't heard from you in a while and was hoping all was ok. I wish speedy healing for your mom but it will take time. I had both knees done and it is a lot of work towards recovery. Take care of yourself, you can't pour from an empty glass!

Hi 3mom, I was just thinking that we hadn't heard from you in a while and was hoping all was ok. I wish speedy healing for your mom but it will take time. I had both knees done and it is a lot of work towards recovery. Take care of yourself, you can't pour from an empty glass!
Thank you! Yeah, the second knee replacement is definitely a lot different than the first go around, especially during a pandemic. No in home nurse or PT, only one night in the hospital, and encouraging to get up pretty much right away to start walking. Her last double knee replacement 14 years ago was not like that at all LOL

This week for me is understanding being full. Last night I was eating a protein pudding and I didn’t finish cause it felt like that 1/2 cup portion was too much. The weather is better for now, blink and it will change is the norm here. Sat I took my bicycle in to add electric for assist on inclines. And took lawnmower in for tuneup. Stinks getting old. sunday I went outside and did a pickup in the yard. Filled one grocery bag of non recycle and cot the beginning on plastic recycle. Yesterday I took the chainsaw out and cleared some growth under my north side blue spruce. Thinks there is also a creeper that I am allergic to under that tree also traced it back and hopefully slowed it down. Then I went to side yard and worked on eliminating unwanted tree growth out there until the chain jumped off extension. But I feel good. Checked on the pool maybe tomorrow I will look into it. Today is ortho for hip and physical therapy for hip. Getting some movement in big progress for me. Have good day be fun be safe.

Every day I am feeling more full with less food. I have noticed it is taking less food to fill me up right now I am lucky to get I pkt of oatmeal and 1 protein shake in with 1 bottle of protein water. Plus 32 0z of vita nourish water all with ice and 8 oz of reg water. My 4 week mark after surgery is coming up on Monday.

Last edited:
Now that the weather is nice I am taking walks on my lunch break. It really helps ground me and process the emotions behind the work I do. Todays walk was a remind of what struggles are in the world as I no more walked across the street from my office and on the sidewalk laid a used needle.

I have also started adding in some other work outs such as ring fit, resistance work and some other odds and ends of what my spouse has down stairs. I dont set goals on it I just go until my body starts to "feel it."

I am significantly more hungry. I am trying to increase my calories a bit but also finding its hard to manage as I'm hungry and the additional 200 don't satisfy me. Also trying to figure out meals as I can't eat that many in 3 meals and am often hungry around 7 pm.

Back