• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

They didn't stop blaming Eve for eating the apple, and it just goes on and on with body image

New York Times opinion piece. Links work on Instagram.

Say their names and feel the buzz that surrounds them: Ozempic, Wegovy, Mounjaro. These drugs for diabetes and weight loss have recently become part of the public lexicon, so much so they even have their own hashtags, writes Tressie McMillan Cottom, an @nytopinion columnist. They promise to rid the United States of obesity, so long as they're made affordable, she says. "But these wonder drugs are also a shorthand for our coded language of shame, stigma, status and bias around fatness," @tressiemcphd writes. "Untangling those two functions is a social problem that one miracle drug cannot fix." Roughly three in four adult Americans are overweight, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ozempic, Wegovy and Mounjaro are medically groundbreaking, Tressie writes, but they are blockbusters for a different reason: "Because they promise to solve a medical problem that is also a cultural problem — how to cure the moral crisis of fat bodies that refuse to get and stay thin. That many people don’t even question that eliminating fat people is an objectively good idea is why it is such a powerful idea." Click the link in our bio for more. | Alice Rosati/Trunk Archive

I feel that in the case of these "miracle drugs" it is not teaching us to have a healthy relationship with food. Rather, it makes us depend on a drug to lose weight. So now lets say a person goes off the drug. They have not developed this healthy relationship with food so if they dont change the way they eat, anything they lost with the drugs will likely return plus more. In order for any of us to be successful with weight loss we need to change our mindset about food and a drug cannot do that for us.

Even if you kept the weight off, what the hell are you putting in your body? In clinical trials there's NEVER a 100 percent success rate. They feel successful if they get 9 out of 10 (I used to work in an FDA-regulated industry), they take it to the FDA and dazzle them with paperwork. Anyway, I'm all about putting less INTO my body and getting more use out of it. I've got maybe 20 years left to live and I want to be healthy by my own actions. I donated my body to the local medical school and I hope they get a lot of knowledge out of it. I don't want them to find false outcomes by the effects of drugs on my organs.

Even if you kept the weight off, what the hell are you putting in your body? In clinical trials there's NEVER a 100 percent success rate. They feel successful if they get 9 out of 10 (I used to work in an FDA-regulated industry), they take it to the FDA and dazzle them with paperwork. Anyway, I'm all about putting less INTO my body and getting more use out of it. I've got maybe 20 years left to live and I want to be healthy by my own actions. I donated my body to the local medical school and I hope they get a lot of knowledge out of it. I don't want them to find false outcomes by the effects of drugs on my organs.
Correct and what effect is the drug having on all of your organs??!!

My spouse uses Wegovy. She has lost 15 pounds on it(pretty sure I gained them as I have gained almost 30 pounds back). However, she didn't really started it for weight loss but it was a good bonus. She has always been pre diabetic with high cholesterol. She eats fairly healthy. The use of it has brought her out of pre diabetic stage and her other levels in a normal range. Her actual numbers and blood work is the best it has ever been.

Honestly, I would avoid all drugs if I could help it. But, of course, I can't. Look at the side effect list for really any drug. That being said, every successful cancer treatment was new at some point. And if one of these drugs helps someone lose weight, that's great. Even WLS has a large percentage of people who gain back significant weight.

It's not the drugs that bother me. Its the utter disdain with which we treat overweight people. Especially when they're just trying to get some help. I literally let them chop my stomach up and reroute my intestines because I couldn't do it on my own. I needed help. I'm not in any position to be judging people who decide to take a pill.

This article has very little to do with the actual drugs. It's about how society views obesity and the people who dare to have it. People are desperate just to be "normal". To not be judged lazy, weak willed, sloppy and disgusting because of something they've lost control of.

Back