• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things I Wish Someone had Told Me at The Start.

Cali G.

Hi everyone I'm Cali. I had the gastric sleeve 1 year and 2 mos. ago. Im 5'8 and began at 400 lbs & today I'm 262 lbs. It's happening slowly but I am still losing. For the amt. of weight I have to lose, bp surgery was a better fit, but I paid out of pocket and couldn't afford it, so I got the sleeve. I'm sure this has been done a million times, but I wanted to share some of the revelations from my ongoing journey, not to advise but to provide a bit of insight.

Things I wish someone had told me at the start:

1) The surgery isn't a cure, it's merely a tool to help reducing your food intake easier. You will never be able to eat like naturally thin people. Even with surgery, you will be watching what you eat for the rest of your life.

2) Stats suggest that between yr 1 & 2 post surgery, that you will have lost the majority of all you are going to lose. From that point it's more of of a struggle & gets more difficult. So now that you know there is somewhat of a time window, take advantage of the new tool & follow your Dr's advice with diet & exercise. There is no time for cheating.

3) Pick a workout activity that you can commit to for the rest of your life. (I chose walking). I use the Leslie Sansone walk video on Netflix. I do it right in my living room every day.

4) Take the antacid prescribed to you religiously. Not only does it reduce acid so you can heal, but unbearable hunger shortly after surgery is often attributed to acid. Check with your doctor and take it for as long as your doctor prescribes it, just do it religiously. It may take several weeks for it to begin working, so taking it only when you think you need it will not help you much. I almost cried i was so hungry. I thought I was a victim of a botched surgery. I found this out about the antacid from another patient.

5) Always log your food. To be successful, you must do this for the rest of your life. I use the "Lose it" app. There you can log and monitor your food, recipes, water, nutritional intake & your weight. This tool has been invaluable. I would be completely lost and probably 80 lbs. heavier if i didn't use it. It is a free tool, but I would pay for it if I had to. Be honest with yourself and record everything you eat, even if you have cheat treats.

6) Don't eat more than 4oz of anything at one time. If you feel inclined to cheat or eat more than that, it is best to do in small increments. It's important that you know, that if you continue to eat larger portions, your stomach will slowly stretch and you will soon need larger quantities of food to feel full or satiated just ask anyone who has put some of the weight back on. Just don't do it.

7) If I have one joy in life its coffee. i avoided coffee post surgery for about 3 to 4 months while I healed. But after 5-6 mos I began having 1 cup of black coffee every morning. Soda is to be avoided, but when I do occasionally cheat, I drink small mini- caffeine free diet soda slowly, over ice and allow it to dilute a bit. Point is don't make it harder for yourself than it already is. I / you will be restricting food intake forever, and because caffeine doesn't affect me in an adverse way, I have it in moderation. My doc says 1 teacup full every morning is fine. If your food regimen is devoid of any pleasure at all, we know what happens. So have what you reasonably can, and don't restrict the reasonably harmless pleasures you can have in your diet for the sake of "restriction".

8) Im not going to sugar coat it. Get your protein in or your hair will fall out. It happens in the months following surgery anyway. But your hairbrush and shower drain will tell you, & so will your eyelashes & brows if you aren't getting enough protein. Once you notice it & make the correction, it will still take several weeks if not months for it to stop falling out. If you don't mind seeing thin patches in your hair or seeing your scalp where before you couldn't it wont bother you as much.

Those are the biggies I wish someone had told me. That said to whoever bothers to read this, know that you are worth it. It's much like a lottery ticket.You have been given a 1 in a million chance to live and do the things you want but couldn't because of your weight. You can do this.

Awesome post, Cali. You've really laid the process out well. I want to expand on what you said in your first paragraph about taking the prescribed meds for your gut. These two--ondansetron and omeprazole--are available in half-strength by brand name, as well as generic. I still take them when I need to. Here's more information:

By the way, there was no one to ask about this process 14 years ago when I had my surgery. But I was lucky to be in a university study that went federal, where massive amounts of tests and documentation helped to form the guidelines used today, and defining insurance coverage. OTC brands include Prilosec and Zofran. But as Cali noted, follow your doctor's orders and ask when you can switch to an OTC formulation.

I agree, Cali. I knew it was a tool, but I really thought it would be more restrictive than it has turned out .. And I had the bypass. And I did not realize I was going to have to be so focused on food for he rest of my life.

It does give you a reset, which allows you to make healthy changes without feeling like you're starving. So, the things I eat are inherently better than pre surgery. If you make the changes they tell you to, it really does make it easier. Fast food and most Doritos type snacks foods taste really gross to me now. Sadly, sweets still taste yummy lol

Thank you for the post. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve on Nov 28th. My surgeon talked to me at length about the things in your post. I am concerned about the hair loss because I have really fine hair already, its not thinning but I know it could. The surgeon said the hair will grow back if it does thin out so I am hopeful there.

I just joined this site a few minutes ago and already am seening some helpful post, I am looking for support and to support others as well.

Thanks again!

My hair loss wasn't bad at all, but it definitely thinned out to the point where i could see my scalp in front. Hair loss after surgery of any type can occur, but it does grow back. I wore a lot of pretty scarves and headbands during that time so most people couldn't tell.

Thank you for the post. I am scheduled for gastric sleeve on Nov 28th. My surgeon talked to me at length about the things in your post. I am concerned about the hair loss because I have really fine hair already, its not thinning but I know it could. The surgeon said the hair will grow back if it does thin out so I am hopeful there.

I just joined this site a few minutes ago and already am seening some helpful post, I am looking for support and to support others as well.

Thanks again!
Don't worry about it at all, we are already experts at hiding our perceived flaws. Think of it as a caterpillar in a cocoon during metamorphosis, you are preparing to emerge a much healthier and happier person. Trust me on this, the temporary hair loss and yes even loose skin are worth it.

I agree, Cali. I knew it was a tool, but I really thought it would be more restrictive than it has turned out .. And I had the bypass. And I did not realize I was going to have to be so focused on food for he rest of my life.

It does give you a reset, which allows you to make healthy changes without feeling like you're starving. So, the things I eat are inherently better than pre surgery. If you make the changes they tell you to, it really does make it easier. Fast food and most Doritos type snacks foods taste really gross to me now. Sadly, sweets still taste yummy lol
It happened to me as well. I loved any white fish like tilapia or cod and after the surgery I couldn't eat it. It's a year later and I still cant stomach fish. Also you are right about stomach restriction, after surgery my stomachs capacity wasn't as small as I anticipated. We have always battled with food and I thought surgery the battle would end. The revelation was that though we now have help with the battle, we will always be fighting. So making lifestyle choices now like finding some activity you can do for the rest of your life is essentially adding extra soldiers to the fight.

Hello,
I am almost 7 years post op. Dealing with a 40lb regain and trying to get back on track. Everything in the above post was right on target. I also thought it would be a tool but wouldn't let me eat more than I should like the 1st year. The 1st almost 2 years if I ate something Patty (my stomach) didn't like or too much I would get sick. Glad those days are over but in a way it was helpful and reminded me not to make her mad lol. WE all can do this. This tool is wonderful and it's a lifelong buddy. Just take it one day at a time and one meal at a time.. Have a great night!!

Not being able to eat what i usually do is a bit of a concern because I am already restricted on what I can safely eat due to celiac. Is there anyone here who has dealt with this post op who can give me some much needed and appreciated pointers? I don't have my surgery date yet, but am trying to get a head start so the transition is smoother. Thanks

Hi everyone I'm Cali. I had the gastric sleeve 1 year and 2 mos. ago. Im 5'8 and began at 400 lbs & today I'm 262 lbs. It's happening slowly but I am still losing. For the amt. of weight I have to lose, bp surgery was a better fit, but I paid out of pocket and couldn't afford it, so I got the sleeve. I'm sure this has been done a million times, but I wanted to share some of the revelations from my ongoing journey, not to advise but to provide a bit of insight.

1) The surgery isn't a cure, it's merely a tool to help reducing your food intake easier. You will never be able to eat like naturally thin people. Even with surgery, you will be watching what you eat for the rest of your life.

2) Stats suggest that between yr 1 & 2 post surgery, that you will have lost the majority of all you are going to lose. From that point it's more of of a struggle & gets more difficult. So now that you know there is somewhat of a time window, take advantage of the new tool & follow your Dr's advice with diet & exercise. There is no time for cheating.

3) Pick a workout activity that you can commit to for the rest of your life. (I chose walking). I use the Leslie Sansone walk video on Netflix. I do it right in my living room every day.

4) Take the antacid prescribed to you religiously. Not only does it reduce acid so you can heal, but unbearable hunger shortly after surgery is often attributed to acid. Check with your doctor and take it for as long as your doctor prescribes it, just do it religiously. It may take several weeks for it to begin working, so taking it only when you think you need it will not help you much. I almost cried i was so hungry. I thought I was a victim of a botched surgery. I found this out about the antacid from another patient.

5) Always log your food. To be successful, you must do this for the rest of your life. I use the "Lose it" app. There you can log and monitor your food, recipes, water, nutritional intake & your weight. This tool has been invaluable. I would be completely lost and probably 80 lbs. heavier if i didn't use it. It is a free tool, but I would pay for it if I had to. Be honest with yourself and record everything you eat, even if you have cheat treats.

6) Don't eat more than 4oz of anything at one time. If you feel inclined to cheat or eat more than that, it is best to do in small increments. It's important that you know, that if you continue to eat larger portions, your stomach will slowly stretch and you will soon need larger quantities of food to feel full or satiated just ask anyone who has put some of the weight back on. Just don't do it.

7) If I have one joy in life its coffee. i avoided coffee post surgery for about 3 to 4 months while I healed. But after 5-6 mos I began having 1 cup of black coffee every morning. Soda is to be avoided, but when I do occasionally cheat, I drink small mini- caffeine free diet soda slowly, over ice and allow it to dilute a bit. Point is don't make it harder for yourself than it already is. I / you will be restricting food intake forever, and because caffeine doesn't affect me in an adverse way, I have it in moderation. My doc says 1 teacup full every morning is fine. If your food regimen is devoid of any pleasure at all, we know what happens. So have what you reasonably can, and don't restrict the reasonably harmless pleasures you can have in your diet for the sake of "restriction".

8) Im not going to sugar coat it. Get your protein in or your hair will fall out. It happens in the months following surgery anyway. But your hairbrush and shower drain will tell you, & so will your eyelashes & brows if you aren't getting enough protein. Once you notice it & make the correction, it will still take several weeks if not months for it to stop falling out. If you don't mind seeing thin patches in your hair or seeing your scalp where before you couldn't it wont bother you as much.

Those are the biggies I wish someone had told me. That said to whoever bothers to read this, know that you are worth it. It's much like a lottery ticket.You have been given a 1 in a million chance to live and do the things you want but couldn't because of your weight. You can do this.

Thank you for being so honest. This is what I came to this group for. Thank you.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm (hopefully) just a few weeks out from surgery and I'm getting terrified, wondering if this is the right fit for me. But everything else has failed. It's my last chance.

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm (hopefully) just a few weeks out from surgery and I'm getting terrified, wondering if this is the right fit for me. But everything else has failed. It's my last chance.
Susan, what you are feeling, most all of us have felt to some degree before surgery. There are so many unknowns and nuances for each person's situation going into surgery. Try to breathe and take it one day at a time. Fill yourself with hope for a future that is healthier and leaner. You've got this!

Back