• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things I wished I knew

Karenina

I wish that someone had told me that the post-nasal drip from my allergies would have no place to go with my small stomach and that I would wake up nauseated most days.

I wish that someone had told me that the post-nasal drip from my allergies would have no place to go with my small stomach and that I would wake up nauseated most days.

Karenina... Would this have made a difference in your decision for having bariatric surgery?

I have had really bad sinus problems for years, but has not caused nausea. Had nausea a few days after surgery, then none. I have to take a Zyrtec D crushed up and mixed with applesauce each night. Takes care of all sinus problems. If you have had it this long I would check with your Doctor, maybe something else.

I have a sinus drip all winter too. However, I have worked closely with my allergist. Yes, take Zyrtec daily. Also, do the netty flush. I do this daily when I see that my drip is increasing. It helps considerably and cuts down your chances of getting a sinus infection.

Ralph

Taking my allergy meds at night rather than in the morning helps some (I take Claritin and Mucinex). And yes Cheyenne, I probably still would have had the surgery. I just wish someone would have told me. I have seasonal allergies, but unfortunately, it's all 4 seasons.
I started this thread with the idea that others could post about things that they were never told or didn't absorb.

I appreciate knowing that my post nasal drip could be the cause of an upset stomach. I usually end up with a sore throat. Good to know. Thanks Karenina.

I haven't had sx yet but find a thread like this would be informative. I am excited to have the procedure but I am one who likes to have as much knowledge as possible so I dont freak if something strange happens. so if any of you out there have had a few surprised along the way I'd love to read about it.

I find the dieting so confusing. The dieticians say clear liquid, full liquids, soft food but they don't tell you what this means! Okay, yeah, I can look up what clear liquid intailed, I can decifer full liquids, but phase 3 is rough and I find myself reverting to phase 2 for fear of "screwing it up"! Did anyone get any help with phase 3 menu examples?

My program provided me a list of foods

I find the dieting so confusing. The dieticians say clear liquid, full liquids, soft food but they don't tell you what this means! Okay, yeah, I can look up what clear liquid intailed, I can decifer full liquids, but phase 3 is rough and I find myself reverting to phase 2 for fear of "screwing it up"! Did anyone get any help with phase 3 menu examples?

I am moving on to full foods this week. After 3 weeks I am doing well. It was my option to go another week on puree or full liquids.

Clear liquids are things such as tea, crystal lite, water, isopure. No carbonation.

Full liquids are things such as Premier protein shake, glucerna, pureed soups (no meat chunks).

Soft foods are things like eggs, chicken, fish, cooked/canned fruits (in their own juices). I have a full list. bariatric post op 004 001.jpg

I have attached it to this post.

Ralph

This is what they told me for phase III.
1. Soft, high protein foods
a. Eggs, low fat cottage cheese, fish, chicken, turkey, ham, tofu/soy, beans, yogurt, ground beef, Greek yogurt
b. Morningstar Farms® or Bocca® soy food products
2. Fruits and Non-Starchy Vegetables
a. Avoid tough peelings and seeds as they can cause diarrhea
3. All Phase 1 and 2 foods
4. Continue to avoid starchy foods such as bread, pasta, rice, peas, corn, potatoes, cereal and oatmeal

One of my favorite recipes is a ricotta cheese bake:
8 oz of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
(mix above and place in a oven-proof dish)
1/2 cup marinara sauce (pour on top)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (top casserole)
Bake in the oven @450 for 20-30 min. A 2oz serving has 103 calories; 11 gm protein; 4 Gm carbs; 7.8 Gm fat.

The Morning Star spicy bean veggie burgers are really good too. I add 1 Tb of steak sauce to moisten it up a bit.

Phase 1 Clear Liquids. Anything you can see through.
Phase 2 All Liquids. Protein shakes, popsicles, jello (aka clear too).
Phase 3 Puréed. Pudding, apple sauce, baby food, hummus
Phase 4 Chopped. Tuna fish, chicken salad (no celery,onion,pickle) toddler food
Phase 5 Solid. Introduce one food each day or two a little firmer in consistency than before.

I think of this diet as one I would feed a baby starting with a newborn and progressing to a toddler diet. After all that is exactly what we will have after surgery a 1- 3 ounce baby belly. I hope this helps.

My surgeon gave a list of foods. Soft foods are eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, applesauce, loose mashed potatoes, oatmeal, malto-meal, cooked flakey white fish, steamed soft cooked carrots, soft mashed sweet potatoes/yams also any condiments : catsup, mayo, barbeque sauce, butter etc

My surgeon gave a list of foods. Soft foods are eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, applesauce, loose mashed potatoes, oatmeal, malto-meal, cooked flakey white fish, steamed soft cooked carrots, soft mashed sweet potatoes/yams also any condiments : catsup, mayo, barbeque sauce, butter etc

I forgot to mention I was not allowed any beef, pork, chicken until the 7th week. Aso I was allowed two crackers which I liked with the tuna or salmon and I mixed it with miracle whip and spread it on my crackers. Pretty yummy considering I had been on liquids before this.

This is my Step I and II plan.

Step 1:Day 0-6
Small sips of clear liquids
Aim for 1 ounce every 10-15 minutes while awake
Stop drinking if feeling full, resume drinking after 20 - 30 minutes
Clear Liquid choices: Water, Clear broths, Decaf tea, Diluted crystal lite, sugar fee ice pops

Step II: Day 8-14
Advance to Pureed foods for 2 weeks
3 meals:
Breakfast:1.5 ounces of protein per meal and 1 ounce pureed fruit or veggies
Lunch: 1.5 ounces protein and 1 ounce pureed fruit or veggies
Dinner: 1.5 ounces protein and 1 ounce pureed fruit or veggies
Snack with 1 smooth no sugar added yogurt and 1 ounce pureed fruit
Additional dairy and protein supplements to meet your daily protein needs
Begin Liquid vitamins and fiber supplement now.

I wish I would have had more information about what happens after the losing phrase ends. I knew how to do that as I have been doing that all my life. I know little about being at a healthy weight and maintaining it. I have very little experience with this. I wish more people would stick around after they have lost their weight to share their experiences. For me this is when I need the most support. I don't want to come back here talking about getting back on track as I have regained. First of all I am not a train and don't need to get back on track. I need to live my life in peace without food obsession. For me I really think that will be the measure of my success. The thing is I know that this will not just happen one day and that will be it forever. Just feeling like a baby that is learning to walk and will fall down, but as long as I keep getting up I will be okay. I guess being in uncharted territory is making me a little cranky. Well that is what I wish I had given more thought to before surgery. I am going to see my surgeon next week. At one time they were talking about running a maintenance group. I think this is a crucial time for WLS patients.

I wish I would have had more information about what happens after the losing phrase ends. I knew how to do that as I have been doing that all my life. I know little about being at a healthy weight and maintaining it. I have very little experience with this. I wish more people would stick around after they have lost their weight to share their experiences. For me this is when I need the most support. I don't want to come back here talking about getting back on track as I have regained. First of all I am not a train and don't need to get back on track. I need to live my life in peace without food obsession. For me I really think that will be the measure of my success. The thing is I know that this will not just happen one day and that will be it forever. Just feeling like a baby that is learning to walk and will fall down, but as long as I keep getting up I will be okay. I guess being in uncharted territory is making me a little cranky. Well that is what I wish I had given more thought to before surgery. I am going to see my surgeon next week. At one time they were talking about running a maintenance group. I think this is a crucial time for WLS patients.

This is so important. You raise a very good point. We have all learned to lose and gain and to lose and gain and to lose, etc., etc.

Here is what my anticipation is. I have a new stomach. It is small. I am not going to do anything to make it grow too large. I am learning new and important lifelong habits such as 1/2 cup is a meal; maybe some day 1 full cup is a meal.

I enjoy a new benefit of this operation (gastric by-pass). I feel no hunger ever. So food has become a fuel. I do make sure I consume 800-1000 calories per day. I am challenged right now to reach that level each day. Isn't that amazing? Challenged to get to 800-1000 calories where before this lifestyle change I could easily consume in excess of 1000 calories at a single meal.

After the body finds the "maintenance" weight, which I suspect will be somewhere around 180 to 190 for me, I will be able to consume 1200 calories. Again, no sense of hunger as a result of the operation and by this time a 1 year or more of training on this new way of eating for the rest of my life. I have heard many times it takes 90 days to make a habit. Well by the time I reach 180 to 190 or whatever my maintenance weight becomes, I will be doing this for at least a year.

Another important factor is that I will be going to bariatric support groups and surround myself with successful people who have "maintained" for years and enjoy listening to their stories as they encourage newcomers. I will become a success story and pass it forward.

Can you defeat this new tool that we have? Sure you can. I met a few people who did just that. For me, that would be a very difficult road to follow after I have sacrificed so much and have gone through a major surgery to get this far.

No, I am not going to worry about maintenance now for at least a year and when it happens I do not believe I will need to worry about that either. Of course, I chose what I believe to be the ultimate success operation, the gastric by-pass, which technically is irreversible. But then again, there are surgeons who have reversed this process on patients for whatever reasons those patients have had.

So, maintenance will be a new joy for me when it occurs a year to a year and half from now.

I don't know if I have helped. The key is you will not be alone unless you choose to be alone. Find a group now as you begin your journey. Join it. Attend it. Stick to it.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Back