• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things that really irk me . . .

Qaterra

So, I'm flipping through channels on the tv and come across this informercial for a weight loss program.

And, here is one of their "success stories," an attractive woman, about as big around as a pencil, gushing,

"I went from a size 10 to a size 2. It really works!"

'Scuze me? Say whaaat?! Went from a size what? A size 10? I've never worn a size 10 in my entire life. From the age of 12 or 13, I went from wearing a size 13 (the biggest junior size available at that time; now, juniors go up to size 21 -- scary, ain't it!) to a size 14-16 and on up from there.

If you want to be a size 2 and have the body capability to do that, go for it. But don't ever expect me to believe that a size 10 woman has any real understanding of what it is to be "overweight."

Harrumph!!!

Body dysmorphia!!!! They see their bodies differently then others see them. I have it, I think I am much thinner until I see my picture or myself in mirror and then I am horrified!! These people see themselves as fatter and want to be a size 0 if possible. IT important to realize that this surgery we are having or have had does not get you from a size 24 to size 10, remember that it takes you about 60% down if you are diligent and the rest is up to YOU. Worrisome since most of us have had a hard time to lose 1% let alone 40% but the hope is that your/my eating habits are going to change due to the surgery with us looking at sugars and carbos and proteins in the things we put in our mouth so when the 40% comes to be ours we will continue to look at those things and increase our exercise now that we are thinner and healthier and less uncomfortable doing so. I know, I for one, if I am going through all this I do not want to gain any weight back so will work hard to keep it off, scary it can go back on!! Does the pouch stretch or do the grhelins find a new home in the pouch since they were in the part of the stomach that is not used in Bypass or cut off in Sleeve surgery and not sure why happens to them in Duodenal Switch, I think they are cut away but do they come back would be a question to ask the doc. They are the hormones that make us hungry and give an appetite. Those who eat out of nerves or anytihng not hunger are still going to have to relearn habits to not gain weight back.

Sandie, I had to laugh at your comment. I, too, think that I am thinner than I am. I also think I'm taller (I'm just a shade over 5 feet), until I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself standing next to someone else. I always thought that was really weird until I heard Rosie O'Donnell say something similar about her body image. I even asked the psych about it. While he agreed it's body dysmorphia, it's not **as harmful** as anorexia. Although it does keep you from dieting because in your head you look fine.

Oh my goodness....I have never heard of this"Body Dysmorphia" but that is exactly how I look at myself. I think I look good until a picture is taken. Maybe I should take more pictures of myself and paste them everywhere is the house. Is that overweight persons shock treatment???

Oh my goodness....I have never heard of this"Body Dysmorphia" but that is exactly how I look at myself. I think I look good until a picture is taken. Maybe I should take more pictures of myself and paste them everywhere is the house. Is that overweight persons shock treatment???

That is too funny! I don't think I look fine but I think I am smaller than I am until I see a photo too.

Sandie that's a good question about the hormones. I wondered that myself. From how I understand it I don't think they're there once removed. As far as eating your feelings goes, I think it's best to learn to feel the feelings, instead of eating them. This liquid diet pre-op is a test for afterwards. You can't eat your feelings so you have to process them. A beginning of what's to come. It's not going to be easy to not be an emotional eater. We can all do it to make it work.

This is not only irksome but deeply troubling.

I was in the supermarket the other day. Night, actually, around 11:00 pm.

A little farther up the aisle is a little family, mom, dad and a toddler -- maybe 2 years old, maybe a bit less -- in the "seat" portion of the cart. And every time the child opens his mouth to speak or whine or whatever, the mom raises her left hand and pops something into his mouth! I have no idea what she was feeding him; I don't think it really matters. I watch it openly, fascinated. The child seems fussy, tired probably. Without fail, every time the child opens his mouth, mom pops some tidbit into the mouth to eat! She's not even paying attention. This seems to be some automatic thing she does by habit. And the child quietens . . . until the next time . . . which comes quickly.

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! How easily -- and how early -- we learn to comfort ourselves with food!

Sad. Very, very sad. Scary, too.

Qaterra, I understand exactly what you mean. My mother was always against pacifiers. I used them with both of my girls which my mother was upset with. But a baby's natural instinct is to suck and giving them a bottle every time they cry is a start of what you witnessed in the store. Now, my mother admits that is what she used to do with me. So I never learned how to deal with feelings other than eating. Neither one of my girls have weight problems. I never gave them food or snacks as a comfort food or reward.

I never gave them food or snacks as a comfort food or reward.

Food as reward! Oh, dear, don't get me started.

You know how sometimes a phrase, a saying, will just spill out of you? It's so automatic, you hardly think before you utter it. Like, "have a nice day" or "how are you?" Sometimes, it isn't even appropriate, yet, there it is, falling out of your mouth at a moment when something else, maybe anything else would have been much, much better.

There's a phrase I used to use with my furry kids. I must have used it thousands of times during my lifetime. Thousands. I've always had furry kids. My parents had Toy Fox Terriers when I was born and I have rarely been without a beloved dog or cat, often more than one, and often females.

And, here was this phrase I kept using. I didn't even think about it. I just kept saying it, over and over.

One day, right after I'd said it, yet again . . . it suddenly dawned on me exactly what I was saying. I was stunned. And weeping, as I contemplated the impact of what I'd been saying all those thousands of times.

The phrase? Those devastating words I had repeated over and over and over again? Where else would I have learned the phrase but at my mother's knee?

Every time I gave my furry kids a treat, I said . . .

.............................. Good girls get cookies!

Think about it.

................... Good girls get cookies!

How many times have I said that, drilled it right into my brain?!

.................................................. Good girls get cookies!

When I finally got a grip, I had another ah ha moment. Had I done that to my son, who has always had weight problems? I used a pacifier with him.

I called him, explaining my "revelation." He insists he doesn't recall ever hearing me say those words, or anything similar.

Good! Maybe the cycle stopped with me. Two of my female grandchildren have weight issues. One of them does not, and the male does not.

I hope so.

Back