• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Things we can do post op & when

Gr8k8

:confused: I'll be in surgery this time next Monday! I have been thinking about and anticipating what I will be able to do right after surgery when I get home. Will I be able to do the laundry? Cook? Walk the dog? Feed the dog! Load the dishwasher? Vacuum & scrub? Do the boogie woogie? If not then when? I need to make arrangements for these things. I know I'm late getting this together and so I'm finding that I am dreaming about this stuff and fretting about it. Any sage advice about what you did and what you shouldn't have done ?:eek:

I remember them saying something about lifting (nothing heavier than 5 lbs maybe), but can't find it in my patient binder. Mine says I can drive as long as I am off pain meds. And it does say I can resume sexual activity whenever I feel up to it. Guess I'd need to find someone to resume it with hahaha. To be on the safe side, I already put up my Christmas tree. I didnt' want to be pulling boxes out of the closet and carrying them around.

I know they will want you to move to keep from getting blood clots. So I can see walking the dog, easy house cleaning, but I agree any heavy lifting I’d not do. Good Luck… Do you have your tree up? I can see getting that done. But go shopping, walk, get out!

My surgeons only guidelines are
1) No lifting anything heavier than 15 pounds
2) You can drive when you are no longer on pain meds or anti-emetics AND can turn your body to look around without any pain.
3) Sex is fine when your felling sexy enough to go for it....

Pain and discomfort will be your guides to what you can do, when you can do it and how much you can do it..

Take a week and relax. There is nothing wrong with paper cups, washing half loads of laundry and asking for help..

My hubby is taking a week off but will be home for a total of 9 days which is nice... Honestly I'll probably be ready to send him back after 3 or 4 days....

Yes I love and like my hubby, but I am used to being at home by myself during the day.. I am very thankful he will be with me no matter, <3 :)

I was told not to lift anything over 10 pounds, so I did the laundry, but had someone else carry it upstairs. I walked the dog, but had someone else lift his 50 pounds of dog food.
You're just supposed to rest and not tax yourself too hard.

Back