• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Thirst

PPP

I would trade three days of eating only broth again to just chug one big glass of ice water. Pre-op I just thought about the food aspect of the surgery. I never realized how much I drank with meals (water, milk, tea). Sips just don't quite quench my thirst. Blood sugar okay. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks!

I have never chugged a drink in my life. I don't like water but force myself to drink about one bottle per day along with all the other drinks I use I get plenty. What I miss is not being able to have a nice cup of coffee after my meal because I have to wait 30 minutes or have a cup of coffee with breakfast. I have a bottle of water with me everywhere I go and have several around the house that I sip on all day. I feared dehydration so I started sipping long before surgery just to practice. I do miss carbonated beverages from time to time - now those I might have chugged but no more. Can't even sip those. I am willing to give that stuff up to continue on this journey. Hope you will be too. Good luck. Joy

I was a chugger and I definitely got more fluids presurgery than I do now. I just can't seem to think about sipping. Im not thirsty and the urge to chug for me hasn't gone away, im simply afraid to drink too much too fast. I get some well nearly a full bottle when I take my pills twice a day so close to 32 oz there...and maybe a little more but that's only half my goal.

I have been wondering the same thing. I had my pre-op yesterday and all the talk about sipping 1 ounce of fluid over a 15 minute period really makes you wonder how you'll quench your thirst. I guess the idea is to just sip all day long and stay hydrated enough so that extreme thirst never really has a chance to set in. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, I'm just not quite there yet. Good luck.

I too used to chug my water, especially during the summer. I've found since my surgery that I have no desire to chug and that I don't get thirsty. I do get in all my water every day, so I guess there is no reason for me to be thirsty. The only thing I can say is that chugging a big drink is no longer an option, so keep sipping and I think your body will adjust and the urge to chug will diminish with time.

Frank

:cool:

Back