• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This is my issue ...I need to exercise.

This is my issue ...I need to exercise. However I don't. I have MS and do to a flare up that left me with pins and needles pain in my feet and pain and weakness in the right hand , heat fatigue along with regular fatigue that I deal with I don't even get a walk in. Now I am finding when I get up to even walk to one end of the room I feel weak which I think is to me not building strength. I am feeling fruatrated and depress cause all I want to do is sleep with the summer heat already starting. My three year old needs me and I need to get my strength up. Has anyone else tackled this sort of issued what did you do to over come it.

Thank you

I can't say that I suffer from MS, but I have fibromyalgia and a 2mm disc protrusion at my L5-S1. Sometimes I can walk with no problems, then there are days where I cannot do anything because of the pain. Have you talked to your surgeon about this issue? I know they emphasize walking, but you can only do so much. Are there any form of chair exercises that you could do? Are you seeing anyone for pain management?

Denise-I have issues with not being able to exercise. I need a total hip replacement due to degenerative arthritis and need to use a wheelchair away from home and a rolling walker inside of my home. It started out with using only a cane about 5 years ago and progressed to where I am now. I have multiple other issues too. I have had 2 back surgeries for spinal stenosis, I have significant arthritis throughout, including my spine and nerve damage in both legs. I have suspicions about having MS but my primary care hasn't diagnosed it as that. How were you diagnosed? I heard it can be difficult to diagnose.

Anyway, back to the exercise issue. I do stretching exercises every morning. I can do these sitting on the side of the bed or in a chair. I can can not walk more than 1/2 step without my walker and even with the walker it is slow going and quite painful so going for a walk is totally out of the question. I will be starting to go to the Y for pool exercises very soon. I am just waiting for a couple of bad burns to heal before I start. I have concerns about getting in and out of the pool with my limited mobility. I spoke to someone at the Y and they told me thay have a moveable stairway and a lift that is useful to people with disabilities. There will make someone available to assist me. Maybe check with your local Y to see if they can accomodate you. I found out that Medicare will pay for fitness memberships at certain facilities, including the Y.

Nana, I have been working with a pain doc for about 6 months now the new meds I am on have helped with the stinging in my hand but nothing in the feet. I havent thought about chair exercises. Perhaps I can find something on line about it.

Pat. I found out I had MS three years ago just over 5 weeks after I had my baby I went totally numb on my left side and totally weak on the right. I couldnt even hold my baby it was a scary time for me. They did a mri head, neck and two in back...they were able to see old spot and active spots in my brain and neck. The Y is a wonderful idea also. Thank you for the help any other ideas I am open for them.

Denise-The nutritionist at my surgeons office gave me a few pages of chair exercises during my last visit. I had my own routine before then but changed over to the exercises from the nutritionist. They are similar but I figured i should use the ones from the experts.

There are things you can use to substitute for weights if you don't have any. filled water bottles make good 1 lb weights. And they are easier to hold then a can of veggies. You can do arm circles, leg lifts, all from a chair. I'll see what else I can find for you.

Resistence bands are an excellent exercise aid. They are relatively inexpensive and ultra light to carry with you if you travel or move from room to room to do your routine. Each color is a different strength of resistence so you can go to a more resistent strength as your strength increases. I get mine from the last physical therapy place I used but you can buy them at most medical supply stores. Some come in pre-cut lengths and some come by the inch so you can customize them to suit your needs.

Balance balls are another good exercise tool. They come in different diameters to suit the length of your legs. Just make sure you get one that is rated to support whatever your weight is. I remember the first time I used one in PT. I wouldn't sit on it because I was certain it would pop like a balloon when I sat on it *LOL* The staff had to prove to me it wouldn't be a problem by having 2 people sit on opposite sides and bounce up and down as hard as they could *LOL*

Are you able to do anything easier in a pool? There are various programs through community rec departments, private health clubs, the YMCA, etc. Can you check with someone on your medical team - maybe even the dietician could help you?

Good luck and best wishes in your efforts.

Well, I start water arobics classes this week...two days a week and my husband put a pool up that is 14ft round so I can walk around in. So hopefully this will all help. Thanks all:)

Hi all,
I just wanted to post a link to my health and fitness blog - "fitnessbarbie" blog. I do daily weight training, and post my workouts which can be followed (may appear like a different language but understandable through a google search). I also post at home workouts that don't require a gym, as well as daily tips of the day and interesting little articles on health and fitness. I am happy to be on here and would love to assist in any way I can - I am a big health and fitness junking and love looking to inspire other :)

http://fitnessbarbielaurengleisberg.blogspot.com/

Back