• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

This is scary... Regular food!

Kathi_S

Regular food! Are you kidding me? Am I ready for that?

I've been eating out of baby food jars, and now I'm supposed to eat like I'm a normal person? Did I miss a step? Okay, maybe I'm overreacting, just a little bit, but I am feeling overwhelmed. I guess I thought I was going to ease into regular foods.

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow but really not sure what to buy yet. Today I just made some fajitas with chicken, peppers & onions. Made enough for both lunch & dinner.

YOU can do it, Kathi!

I don't know what kind of table etiquette you follow, so I'm just going to offer tips based on my adventure into normal eating.

First, this is a rite of passage represented by new rituals. Buy a special set of flatware and dishes, a placemat you love, and no one else is allowed to use. If you're familiar with the Japanese tea ceremony, you'll understand this. If not, read about it. It's beautiful, sacred, honoring the participants.
  • Do nothing else while you eat. Your food is your entire focus.
  • Portion your food according to protein content and pouch size.
  • Arrange the portions beautifully on your plate. Scroll down through my albums to see what I mean.
  • Chew. Liquify. Swallow. Keep chewing. Liquify. Sliiiiide on down.
  • Put your fork down between bites, while you chew.
  • Pay attention to the eating utensils you use. If you're using a spoon, why? You're eating solid food. Fork. Knife. No spoon.
  • Stop when you feel pressure within. You may think you're not full, but after WLS, it's hard to tell, and you can get painfully ambushed.
  • In your head, sing songs of celebration and praise for YOU. You did this! You saved your life!
  • Love every bite. Food should be delicious.
  • Never allow an atom of shame or guilt to creep in. You're PERFECT.
I could go on and on. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you are no longer standing on the outside. You're not just normal; you're ORDINARY. Ordinary people don't eat themselves to death. They eat without occasion, because they're hungry, it's time for a meal, they're socializing, it's a potluck.

When I made it to normal food, no one could have cared less. But I not only cared, I realized I'd been reborn and had an unblemished slate upon which I could write my new life.

I was challenged to praise myself after years of self-loathing and blame. But I just said the words over and over and knew my starving self-esteem would gobble it up, and over time, I'd experience the joy of being ordinary.

Hope this helps. But YOU, you're a newly named goddess! I'm worshiping you right now!

I wish there was a stronger word than congratulations. I'd say it to you.

Yeah, regular food is definitely challenging for me so far, and I don't yet have the hang of it. I do need to rethink my portion sizes, and maybe take a step back so I'm slowing down my choices.

Those fajitas sound perfect Kathi. I'm probably getting a rotisserie chicken from Sam's tomorrow, and making fajitas is a great idea! Thanks! It sounds like you are on the right track.

I often do use a spoon when I eat bc I often have a little broth mixed in. Not being able to drink water while eating is very difficult, so adding liquid helps.

FYI, I was never told not to drink with meals when I had my surgery 14 years ago. IMO, you should do what works for you. I have water, wine, beer, milk... whatever fits the meal.

Insurance companies have turned WLS into a cookie-cutter process. The posts in this group just a few years ago are so different. I feel we actually engaged more when there was less structure. The people were so wise and honest, even while struggling.

I always say, ask your doctor. But my experience is more valuable to share than a doctor's canned advice. I lived it. Most doctors haven't.

We definitely need guidance, but common sense is what guidance should be.

I made a special point of buying a beautiful place setting, composed of individual pieces from fancy stores. Nowadays, I use what's at hand, but I always try to make my meals look as beautiful as they taste. That's why I included the link to my photos, above. I haven't updated my pix, but uploaded a bunch yesterday, and I'll add them eventually.

I made a special point of buying a beautiful place setting, composed of individual pieces from fancy stores. Nowadays, I use what's at hand, but I always try to make my meals look as beautiful as they taste. That's why I included the link to my photos, above. I haven't updated my pix, but uploaded a bunch yesterday, and I'll add them eventually.
View attachment 4597View attachment 4598View attachment 4599
Your meals look beautiful, Diane. I'm such a basic cook, but a do want to get some pretty dishes for myself. I don't want them any bigger than they need to be, so that they don't look empty. The plate my nutritionist drew on my notebook was about 4 inches. So I was torn between buying 4 inch plates or 6 inch plates. Maybe buying a few of both. Feeling so overwhelmed.

Thanks, I know I am overreacting. I've been stuck here for two hours trying to make a stupid grocery list. Something so simple is making me panic. I really don't even know what I am so afraid of. Why are plates so scary? This is crazy. I should be happy to box up my baby food jars and give them to my grandson.

At any rate, sitting here is getting me nowhere, so I'm going to have to get my butt going. I've decided to go the local vitamin store first to look for an electrolyte hydration powder or tablet to add to my water to help with my blood pressure. Next stop the local thrift shop to drop off two big bags of clothes and to look for some pretty dishes for me. Next stop, the dreaded grocery store! Wish me luck, I will definitely need it!

Your meals look beautiful, Diane. I'm such a basic cook, but a do want to get some pretty dishes for myself. I don't want them any bigger than they need to be, so that they don't look empty. The plate my nutritionist drew on my notebook was about 4 inches. So I was torn between buying 4 inch plates or 6 inch plates. Maybe buying a few of both. Feeling so overwhelmed.

I started with a small bread plate and then worked up to a salad or lunch plate. I use ramakins a lot in the beginning and then moved on to a bowl that is a little bigger and holds a little over a cup. I like the latter for cereal with blueberries and/or yogurt with fruit.

8 weeks Post RNY and down 40 lb since surgery. I have a few basic staples that I buy every week: Yogurt, cottage cheese, cucumbers, protein shakes, tuna, eggs, luncheon meats, baby bel or cheese sticks, flavored cream cheese (the chive and onion is perfect for spreading on the luncheon meats and rolling up with a cheese stick) turkey pepperoni.

I am a creature of habit so I usually eat a lot of the same types of things for lunch. A protein shake for breakfast and a high protein yogurt for a snack. Lunch is egg/tuna salad, or luncheon meats and a cheese stick, a bit of rotisserie chicken, some olives, pickles, baby bel, or cottage cheese. I usually go for the protein stuff first and have a hard time finishing the olives or pickles so I get those mini packs and they will last several days. I tried the quest chips but could only eat 3-4 and the rest of the bag got thrown away so I don't buy them anymore. I bought a loaf of keto bread because I was craving a sandwich and ate one piece and then put the rest of the loaf in the freezer so it wouldn't go to waste and I can eat another piece if I have another craving.

For dinners it depends on what I am making hubby. If I am making him say spaghetti, I add meatballs. I added zoodles to mine but I couldn't finish the meatballs so I skip the zoodles for now and just eat the meatballs but will come back to them. If he is bbqing I will make a few tiny hamburger patties (2.5 oz uncooked) and he will cook them for me. I ask him to cook a few of them less done so that I can microwave them for lunch for a couple of days. He bbq carne asada street tacos this weekend and I ate the meat with a bit of cheese and guacamole on it.

I made stuffed mushrooms with crab and cream cheese with parmesean cheese. Again those were delicious but I made too many and they really don't keep and I had to throw quite a bit away (hubby doesn't like mushrooms). Pretty much what he is eating, I can add or incorporate something he is eating with me. If he eats pizza, I get a small frozen cauliflower pizza and will cut it in half or if it is bigger, cut it in quarters. Suggest buying the smallest you can find because the bigger ones are four servings and I can't eat that four days in a row. I have tried salad but it is pretty much wasted space in my small tummy so I try to eat protein first. I went out to a Mexican restaurant and got refried beans once and it was good. Another time I got a taco salad and at the meat (chicken) and cheese off the top with a mix of the guacamole and sour cream mixed in. Only a small amount (about 1/2 cup) is sufficient. My husband tries to accommodate me and orders something that I can eat so we can share a meal.

Also focus on liquids. It seems to help me continue losing. I ordered decaffeinated chai tea bags on Amazon and drink about 20 oz of them a day then I drink the rest water. I try to get between 65-75oz a day.

My biggest problem is making too much. I guess my eyes are bigger than my stomach still but I am getting so much better at it. I sometimes can't believe when I am about to eat that such a small amount will fill me up. Especially when I am hungry, I am like no way is this going to fill me but it does. It's definitely a surreal process but takes some trial and error. Also I have found that I can maybe eat leftovers on certain things and other things I don't tolerate well.

Last edited:
Back