• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Three year post op weight gain.

Hello, I am 3 years post op and when I had surgery I weighed 299 pounds. In September of last year I weighed 209. I was doing the best I could to follow my diet. During the year after surgery my dad passed away and the day my dad passed away in April 2018 I had a hysterectomy, my mother's house flooded and I was taking care of her while she had cancer. I have two special needs children, I lost my house and had to move into a camper in my mother in laws back yard in 2017 we will just say I lived in my in laws back yard in a 32 foot trailer with three kids for about a year. Then in September 2019 I had a mental bipolar moment in 2019 and had to be inpatient treated for about three weeks. While in treatment I had a seizure and had to go to the hospital for that. While I was in treatment I had gotten my weight down to 185 and I felt so pretty. Then I had a seizure and had to go to the hospital for that. The day I get discharged from the hospital my mom gets rushed to the hospital, three weeks in November she passed away. Then in February 2020 I broke my ankle and it now has 13 screws an 2 metal plates. So to my point: I am in mental therapy I am on meds but since my ankle break and my mom passing away I have gained 45 pounds. I am scared of being big again, I look in the and mirror and all I see is me at 300 pounds again. I I am fighting my meds to try to lose weight and I am trying to start a exercise routine and I am trying to eat right, I am worried that I have streched my stomach out. How can I start losing again? Is it to late for me to start again? Am I going to have to get another surgery?

Last edited:
I do not think it’s too late for you and I’m sorry about everything that’s happened. Weight has such a mental component, at least for me, and I think battling mental illness, physical injury, and stressing about your weight probably has you feeling very anxious. I know I would. I have anxiety and depression. I have not had my surgery yet, so I can’t speak for what happens after, but maybe you can go to a mind set of what you thought of before surgery. What lead you there besides your weight? What were your short and long term goals? I’m sure being there for your kids is one of them, it’s one of mine. Don’t look at yourself and see your old self. Look in the mirror and see the fighter inside you. From what you’ve told us about your life, you are definitely a fighter in my eyes. I know the ankle injury is a struggle. I have tarsal tunnel and plantar fasciitis in my left ankle and foot and there are days I can hardly walk because the nerve pain is so horrible shooting up into my leg. I also have 2 bad knees, scoliosis, lordosis, and hip problems. I’m a barrel of laughs lol But, and this is a big but, there are things I can do when I just can’t stand the pain of regular exercising. YouTube has chair yoga, and I have small free weights for my arms that I can do sitting down. We’re you tracking your food before or after? Maybe that can help, along with making sure you’re getting enough protein. You’ve been through a lot, and I can tell you are strong, so take small steps and start with small goals.

Thank you. As of yesterday evening my therapist has challenged me to journal my portions and calorie intake again. Thank you for suggesting that I remember my starting goals with everything that has happened in my life I have not thought about them or myself in a long time. I just remembered that it only takes twenty minutes of a dance workout after walking .7 miles to lose weight again. Now I have to remember portion size.

Back