• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tips or tricks??

ashl0027

Hi guys! I just found this support group and I’m having surgery August 16th, 2021. Instead of learning from my mistakes, I was hoping you guys could help me avoid some mistakes with your wisdom! What are some good tips, what things to expect that you didn’t expect or what to avoid and what to enjoy?? Thanks!

Attachments

• 8FFABB7A-CCAA-4C6D-B656-576088A7EFF3.jpeg
    8FFABB7A-CCAA-4C6D-B656-576088A7EFF3.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 65
Hi Ash,
Welcome to this fantastic group as mentioned by the other members. Congratulations on almost being there, how exciting!
Ask your questions or discuss concerns or just anything you want to talk about. This group will be there for you. I also had the sleeve on 10/6/20.
It certainly isn't easy, but you have the wealth of knowledge from this group to help you get started.
My only advice is don't push new foods (new stages) too fast, the new stomach is stapled together and needs to heal before we start tossing chips in there (baked chips of course!).
My big issues are psychological so I am always talking about getting a grip on eating habits that I need to revise forever!
All the best to you! Wonderful to have you here.
Sharon

Hello and Welcome. Tips and tricks huh? Okay but everyone hates my main go-to tips lol

Weigh and Measure your food before you put it on your plate. Start all new foods at 2 Tablespoons and work your way up.

Track your Intake. Every food before you ever take your first bite. My Fitness Pal and Baritastic are both great apps.

The reason for these 2 things is that it will teach you actual portion sizes pretty quickly, and they will let you know how much of a food you can handle. Also, not every food that doesn't agree with you will make you sick immediately, so it's nice to be able to look back and say "Ok, I was sick Monday and Wednesday. I had Tuna on Sunday and Tuesday so maybe avoid it. "

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.

Last edited:
Welcome! Some tips that I would recommend are time your sips if you’re having trouble getting your liquids in right away. I know some group members found it useful to use a shot glass or medicine cup to get their drinks in small to start. Walk after surgery to get that gas out of your abdominal cavity. Gravity is the only thing that’s going to push it out from your shoulders, so if they get sore, maybe use a heating pad to relieve the pressure/pain. Like Sharon said, don’t rush the stages. Follow your surgeons instructions, and if something doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to call them. Try different protein flavors, but your tastes might change a little after surgery. Plus some protein drinks are easier to digest than other for people. It’s ok to be emotional after surgery. This is a huge undertaking, just remind yourself why you’re doing this. Be kind to yourself and give yourself some grace.

Last edited:
Again, this such a wonderful group, quick to help and encourage everyone here, as you can see by all of the above posts.

:)
I had RnY surgery on July 12. I did as much walking as I could manage after surgery, even tho I didn't have the usual gas afterwards.

I stayed 3 weeks on protein shakes. Premier Protein caramel & Fairlife chocolate (30 g protein each) were my go to protein choices. Small sips for anything you consume is key. The 1st week I only drank 1/2 shake at a time, taking 30 min. The 30-30-30 rule is a must (no water 30 min. before or after a meal, and at least 30 min for each).

I kept sf jello & popsicles, and beef & chicken broth on hand. Hopefully the hunger hormones will be kept at bay while your stomach heals. This journey is so much easier at the beginning if you aren't dealing with being hungry all the time. Of course 64 oz of water daily will help with that & keep you hydrated.

Again, best of luck with surgery & healing.

I had RNY last September
My tip / trick that helped a lot was in the second week after surgery I would take a can of soup - any kind
And put it in my nutri bullet to blend it to a liquid consistency
Easy to drink / digest and I felt like I had real food I did that off and on the first couple weeks
I also ate a lot of canned refried beans - add a little cheese - sour cream and taco sauce - Yum
I am 56 years old and so glad I did the surgery 10 months ago - I was never able to lose the weight until this surgery
I am down 83 pounds ! And I feel so much better - sometimes it's the little things like walking down the hall and realizing that your thighs are not rubbing together any longer.

Great tips, all!

One tip I’ll contribute: don’t weigh until 3 weeks post-op. Often bariatric patients will weigh one or two weeks post-op, and there is a stall or even gain that is fluid-related that causes a freak- out. Just be patient!

Congrats on joining the forum!

Ashley, here's the MOST important thing anyone can tell you: start drinking fiber laxative at least a week before surgery, even if you have dependable bowel movements. If you don't, I promise, you will be sorrier about that than you are about being obese. In order for this surgery to be great, you just be able to pass stool without difficulty. Trust me. Find my first post to this group. I still have PTSD about that epic, 24-hour BM.

• Don't compare your journey to others too closely, we all progress at different rates.
  • Follow your post-op guidelines as closely as possible, focus on protein and hydration
  • Long-term success is 90% food and 10% activity; use the first year after surgery to create a relationship with food that will last a lifetime. Discover foods and a diet you can enjoy for life and not just during weight loss.
  • As soon as you are cleared to exercise, focus on resistance exercise to stimulate muscle and maintain as much of it as possible through the rapid weight loss phase.
  • Don't do a lot of intense cardio for the first several months, it isn't that effective for burning fat and it will slow your metabolism down when you are on a very low-calorie diet. Wait to kick up the cardio when you've reached your nadir and you are heading into maintenance.
  • Reach out when you need help. Reach out to your bariatric team, this forum, friends, family, professional counselors, etc. Don't wait for things to get overwhelming with the process or with life in general.
  • Have fun and celebrate your success as you go, but put more emphasis on things other than the numbers on the scale. There are many measures of success that are more valuable than that number.

• Don't compare your journey to others too closely, we all progress at different rates.
  • Follow your post-op guidelines as closely as possible, focus on protein and hydration
  • Long-term success is 90% food and 10% activity; use the first year after surgery to create a relationship with food that will last a lifetime. Discover foods and a diet you can enjoy for life and not just during weight loss.
  • As soon as you are cleared to exercise, focus on resistance exercise to stimulate muscle and maintain as much of it as possible through the rapid weight loss phase.
  • Don't do a lot of intense cardio for the first several months, it isn't that effective for burning fat and it will slow your metabolism down when you are on a very low-calorie diet. Wait to kick up the cardio when you've reached your nadir and you are heading into maintenance.
  • Reach out when you need help. Reach out to your bariatric team, this forum, friends, family, professional counselors, etc. Don't wait for things to get overwhelming with the process or with life in general.
  • Have fun and celebrate your success as you go, but put more emphasis on things other than the numbers on the scale. There are many measures of success that are more valuable than that number.
Great advise and so well written! You should write a book if you haven’t.

Welcome to the group Ash! I had VSG last June and have lost 135 lbs including my pre-surgery diet. So many great tips have been given to you already, I just want to add that it's good to have a little patience along the journey. You may come across stalls from time to time but keep on going, it all pays off in the end! I wish you the best of luck with your journey!

Back