• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tired of waiting

I have been in a program for a year. I thought I had finished all of the requirements. Now they want me to see yet another psych evaluator. I already saw one they recommended and got clearance. I have a regular counselor who just filled out a long form for them. Unfortunately, I have a med manager (background...I'm bipolar 2 with depression and anxiety) who is against ANYONE having the surgery. My appointment with the program's new evaluator is next Thursday. I have to check my attitude at the door.

I'm so tired of jumping through the same hoop over and over again. I know they're being cautious, but shouldn't they take the word of my counselor who I have seen once a week for over two years? I have a couple of events out of state at the beginning of September that I have to go to, and I want to be feeling well enough to enjoy them. Ugh!

hi, I had to meet with the bariatric program psychologist in addition to my regular therapist so it sounds like you are undergoing the same types of requirements. the one thing i would wish with my bariatric program is that they offered more post surgery counseling. my own therapist quit on the spot from her counseling center and I was left without a therapist for nearly six months, and the bariatric office only offered 1 group counseling session online after surgery. I am now 5 months out from my surgery. I honestly think they do need to be cautious ahead of time, and the bariatric psychologist was mainly concerned with 1) my reasoning behind pursuing bariatric surgery 2) how often I attended therapy 3) what medications I was on. In general I found the psychologist wanted to ensure I had thought through the surgical process and its aftermath. It really is a big change from "life before" so please try and stay positive about your upcoming appointment. My medication provider wasn't "against" surgery but she felt I wasn't "overweight" enough to warrant it so I sympathize with your current situation. The bariatric psychologist was very understanding of my reasons for undertaking VSG surgery after struggling for decades with my weight. Good luck and stay positive!

hi, I had to meet with the bariatric program psychologist in addition to my regular therapist so it sounds like you are undergoing the same types of requirements. the one thing i would wish with my bariatric program is that they offered more post surgery counseling. my own therapist quit on the spot from her counseling center and I was left without a therapist for nearly six months, and the bariatric office only offered 1 group counseling session online after surgery. I am now 5 months out from my surgery. I honestly think they do need to be cautious ahead of time, and the bariatric psychologist was mainly concerned with 1) my reasoning behind pursuing bariatric surgery 2) how often I attended therapy 3) what medications I was on. In general I found the psychologist wanted to ensure I had thought through the surgical process and its aftermath. It really is a big change from "life before" so please try and stay positive about your upcoming appointment. My medication provider wasn't "against" surgery but she felt I wasn't "overweight" enough to warrant it so I sympathize with your current situation. The bariatric psychologist was very understanding of my reasons for undertaking VSG surgery after struggling for decades with my weight. Good luck and stay positive!
Thank you. I hope this visit goes well and that's all they need. That's too bad about losing your therapist without any warning. How are you doing after surgery? The good thing about my therapist is that she went from the lap band to VSG just like me. My band slipped a few years ago, and I had it removed last year. I went from 302 to 180 and now I'm at 250. Keeping over 50 pounds off is a victory for me.

Hi Shotputgreen, congratulations on your weight loss! I do honestly believe the bariatric psychologists want to help everyone interested in the surgery to have the surgery. I felt the one I worked with just wanted to be sure I was already in regular therapy, and had realistic ideas for life after surgery :) I'm doing fine 5 months out. My only "complication" now seems to be constipation. I no longer seem to have problems digesting any type of food, although I readily admit my carbs intake is massively reduced compared to "before" surgery. If I eat bread, my stomach tends to feel "heavy" so I don't eat it very often. I used to eat a lot of chip/nachos and crackers which I no longer do. I have reintroduced foods in small steps and small portions, and a few weeks ago, even had 2 waffle fries from Chik Fil A and was fine afterwards.

Thank you. I hope this visit goes well and that's all they need. That's too bad about losing your therapist without any warning. How are you doing after surgery? The good thing about my therapist is that she went from the lap band to VSG just like me. My band slipped a few years ago, and I had it removed last year. I went from 302 to 180 and now I'm at 250. Keeping over 50 pounds off is a victory for me.
Shotputqueen, question for you; are you going through insurance or are you self pay? If you are self pay (and have a passport) you might wish to chose as I have, and look up the Clinic Michel Gagner. (if we are allowed to add links here I can provide this to you) I too got tired of being on a very long ridiculous wait list and my surgery is scheduled for the 7th of July.
The clinic is Montreal (they are bi-lingual and all staff is fluent in english) the total cost for my sleeve surgery will be roughly 11,000$ US (it is $15,500 CDN) . My first appointment there was on May 19 and as I said a week from Friday is my surgery date. Hope this helps.
Marie

Shotputqueen, question for you; are you going through insurance or are you self pay? If you are self pay (and have a passport) you might wish to chose as I have, and look up the Clinic Michel Gagner. (if we are allowed to add links here I can provide this to you) I too got tired of being on a very long ridiculous wait list and my surgery is scheduled for the 7th of July.
The clinic is Montreal (they are bi-lingual and all staff is fluent in english) the total cost for my sleeve surgery will be roughly 11,000$ US (it is $15,500 CDN) . My first appointment there was on May 19 and as I said a week from Friday is my surgery date. Hope this helps.
Marie
I'm going through insurance. I can't afford self pay. Thanks for the info, though. Good luck with your surgery. Glad it'll happen soon.

Hello. I totally understand that the wait and all the hoops you have to jump through can leave you frustrated and discouraged. And it can be so hard to stay positive when you're trying and no one seems to appreciate how far you've come.

However, its also pretty great that you have a team that actually CARES about your well-being and is working with you to give you the best shot for long term success. This is work. It would be nice it you didn't have to work so hard to make it happen, so you can do more work later but there it is.

You've made a decision to do whatever is necessary to improve your health and quality of life. That starts now. Whether it takes you a month or a year to get a surgery date (it took me 11 months) it's worth it and YOU are worth it. Give yourself the best shot at success. If that means a little more work now, a little longer wait, that's okay. Every step moves you forward. You're not waiting; your journey has already started. Good luck.

Back