• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tired

GGG

I am 65 yrs old and had gastric sleeve surgery November 2020. All is going well and my energy is returning. However, after I’ve had a particularly active day, it seems to take a lot out of me and it takes a day or two to catch up. Anybody else have this? I have read it can take months to get my energy back. I’m healthy and the surgery has been a total success.

I'm 66 and since I've lost a bunch of weight I have lots more energy and I'm doing more than before so quite often I am tired out by nighttime, but it is a good tired because I feel like I've accomplished something. But if your lack of energy carries over a day or two it could be you are still recovering from surgery or it could be a vitamin deficiency are iron deficiency. Have you had your labs done since surgery? Some doctors order it at 3 months, some not until 6 months out. If you really feel you are lacking in energy it might be a good idea to contact your surgeons office.

I had my surgery in Sept. I will go several days with high energy and then will randomly crash for a day or two. I have never been a high energy person even when previously thin. I have more energy now then before but when I crash I am out for a couple days. I think it does take a bit for it to get stabilized due to the bodies adjusting nutrition but also because we feel good we do so much more then we used to and the body is not used to it.

I'm 66 and since I've lost a bunch of weight I have lots more energy and I'm doing more than before so quite often I am tired out by nighttime, but it is a good tired because I feel like I've accomplished something. But if your lack of energy carries over a day or two it could be you are still recovering from surgery or it could be a vitamin deficiency are iron deficiency. Have you had your labs done since surgery? Some doctors order it at 3 months, some not until 6 months out. If you really feel you are lacking in energy it might be a good idea to contact your surgeons office.
Thanks for replying. I have had my labs done and everything was fine. For example, Monday we finally got to go on a 5 day vacation this week but due to airplane delays, etc we didn’t get to our destination until the middle of the night. So lack of sleep and stress from air delays, I was exhausted yesterday. Feeling better today. Since I have never had major surgery before I didn’t know about recovery. But with this surgery I’m recovering from major surgery and less food intake. Overall, everything is good. Just needed a little encouragement I guess! Thanks.

I had my surgery in Sept. I will go several days with high energy and then will randomly crash for a day or two. I have never been a high energy person even when previously thin. I have more energy now then before but when I crash I am out for a couple days. I think it does take a bit for it to get stabilized due to the bodies adjusting nutrition but also because we feel good we do so much more then we used to and the body is not used to it.
Thank you so much for your reply. You sound exactly like me. I feel better knowing someone has the same symptoms as me. However, I will definitely discuss this with my surgeon at my next appointment. Overall, very happy with weight loss. I have dropped 50 lbs and have 25 to go. Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes! I’m actually dealing with that right now. Today I started supplementing a B12 along with my regular bariatric vitamins. I have a genetic condition where B vitamins are not absorbed the way they should, so even though I’m already taking a lot, I’d imagine that my B levels are low. I get vitamin levels tested next month at my 6 month post op.

There are so many reasons why one's energy shifts. Don't discount the effects mood has on energy.

But if you're 100 pounds overweight, you might as well be carrying a monkey on your back, as addicts describe their habits. Like, a gorilla, dudes.

I still remember vividly the sensations of carrying all that weight. It was like walking through 6 inches of wet clay.

One day I was waiting outside a store and a morbidly obese employee came out for a break. He walked away, then turned around and walked back. I blatantly stared at him because his eyes were cast down. Eye contact is hard when you're cloaked in shame.

I studied anatomy in art school and the work of da Vinci independently. So my observations were deep, ligaments, tendons, muscles, fat layers and how they worked in concert and opposition. There was so much going on there, soft tissue versus skeletal frame. Every sweaty, red-faced, huffing and puffing step looked excruciating.

The root of the word "crucifixion" is "excruciation." I once edited a book about crucifixion. The writer described in cinemascopic detail the process. It's the stuff of nightmares.

And yet, in a very similar way, a person weighing hundreds of extra pounds is mirroring the agony of that long, painful death, in small patches of his body's real estate, telegraphing pain and exhaustion along nerve endings straight to the center of his self-esteem.

This was not a cosmetic judgment of him. It reminded me of a time when I watched a huge woman straddling a boat trailer, being backed down a launch, floating off in the water. On land, everything was imprisoning her. Once in the water, she was weightless and liberated from Fat Jail. She was free.

The point of my ramble is hard to articulate. It's so painful to witness cruelty and abuse. PTSD is just as powerful for the witness as the perpetrator. Morbid obesity is a mental locale where all these evil and lesser demons live together as if one lived in a Hieronymus Bosch painting of hell.

I guess I was wondering why I chose hell over earth for a while. These days, life is just redefined. I prefer love over judgment.

Thanks for replying. I have had my labs done and everything was fine. For example, Monday we finally got to go on a 5 day vacation this week but due to airplane delays, etc we didn’t get to our destination until the middle of the night. So lack of sleep and stress from air delays, I was exhausted yesterday. Feeling better today. Since I have never had major surgery before I didn’t know about recovery. But with this surgery I’m recovering from major surgery and less food intake. Overall, everything is good. Just needed a little encouragement I guess! Thanks.
Good! Glad you had your labs done, so you can rule that out. You make a good point about less food intake and that can play a role too. Do make sure you are keeping your protein levels where they should be and water intake as well.

Back