• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

To tell, or not to tell

Kathi_S

Prior to my surgery, I really didn't know if I wanted anyone to know that I was having WLS.

I thought I'd be judged. I knew my husband didn't like it. I knew my daughters were okay with it, but didn't really think I needed it. My husband's brother was hugely supportive of my decision.

I made a huge leap of faith when I told my neighbor friends for my last hoorah party. They were amazingly supportive.

So I decided to start telling other neighbors. Everyone I told was surprisingly supportive!

When my husband learned that I was telling the neighbors, he asked if it was okay if he started telling people. I told him that it was.

While I was in the hospital he told his other brother. When I asked him how he reacted he told me that his brother thought it was a little extreme. I think this reaction may be because my husband wasn't fully on board either.

All in all, I am finding most people are accepting and supportive. I think times are changing and WLS is becoming an option that people view as proactive rather than the "easy way out" like they used to.

It may be that I live in a very health conscious community, where I am more likely to be judged for being obese than for trying to do something about it.

Has anyone else noticed a trend to be less judgemental of WLS patients?

I’ve had nothing but positivity, and one person who remains silent more often that not (she’s not negative about it but she worries about long term success as she is a life long yo-yo dieter). I have another friend who is supportive of it, but she never comments on people’s body’s so she never says anything about how I look, just asks how I feel which is awesome because I went through this to feel better.

I haven't had anyone be horribly negative. I've had a couple of people who will immediately tell me about someone who lost a tone of weight "naturally" but not really in a snide way, but obviously implying that I took a shortcut or something.

That being said, my true friends have all been very supportive. I have not told either of my brothers & sisters-in-law, but my parents know. My parents were very supportive, and they haven't told anyone else.

I'm a pretty private person, an introvert, and have only a few people I trust to communicate with. That being said, I've only told one of my closest friends lol (and my husband obviously!) My husband is supportive, just worries about me going through a surgery because I never had any surgeries before. And my friend is supportive but I do get the impression that she thinks I can do it all on my own and worries that l'll get too skinny and sickly looking.....so... I'm not upset or offended by her thoughts or concerns because I know her and it is coming from a genuine place. She also has family members who have gone through WLS so she has some good perspective. As far as people reacting after I have surgery, I think when it comes to most people- I'll just say thanks and leave it at that, I feel I don't owe anyone anything when it comes to my personal business.

Prior to my surgery, I really didn't know if I wanted anyone to know that I was having WLS.

I thought I'd be judged. I knew my husband didn't like it. I knew my daughters were okay with it, but didn't really think I needed it. My husband's brother was hugely supportive of my decision.

I made a huge leap of faith when I told my neighbor friends for my last hoorah party. They were amazingly supportive.

So I decided to start telling other neighbors. Everyone I told was surprisingly supportive!

When my husband learned that I was telling the neighbors, he asked if it was okay if he started telling people. I told him that it was.

While I was in the hospital he told his other brother. When I asked him how he reacted he told me that his brother thought it was a little extreme. I think this reaction may be because my husband wasn't fully on board either.

All in all, I am finding most people are accepting and supportive. I think times are changing and WLS is becoming an option that people view as proactive rather than the "easy way out" like they used to.

It may be that I live in a very health conscious community, where I am more likely to be judged for being obese than for trying to do something about it.

Has anyone else noticed a trend to be less judgemental of WLS patients?
I came out on my Facebook page. I wanted to tell my own story. Part of that was saying if folks didn’t like it, keep it to themselves. Overwhelming positive response. People who care about you want you to be healthy.

Back